XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Beta Testing

Serge

I am sorry if this is wrong place for this...But that new version don't work!

I installed it same way i did install beta before this, and when i try to run it, i get message which is roughly translated like this:

"Ufo2000 has caused an problem in UFO2000.EXE

Ufo2000 will be shut down

If the problem wont go away, try rebooting computer"

(...or something, as i said that was really rough translation)

And i tried rebooting, i tried, i tried once more and then i tried again...

I am running windows ME.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't run it also (using Win98). It simply won't start, with no error messages.

A friend of mine reported the same exact problem in windows 98.

The game generates no crash-report and hangs after loading screen "Main_menu"

Init-scripts.log content.

#
# UFO2000 started: 2006-05-01 20:51:19
#
Translation found: Herringlish
Translation found: Belarusian
Invalid translation for 'Unable to delete temporary file %s!' in the language file C:/PROGRAM FILES/UFO2000 BETA/translations/ufo2000-deu.po
Translation found: German
Translation found: French
Translation found: Italian
Translation found: Russian
Translation found: Spanish
Language set to: Herringlish
Tips-of-the-day: Herringlish 2
AddPanel: added panel 'Game_init'
AddPanel: added panel 'Main_menu'

Please note that the gui object, the search and destroy scenario and the per-weapon explosions didn't crash in their original version as both Hobbes and my friend could run my build on win 98.

I'm also quite certain it did not appear before 1023

Honestly my guess is :

Probably 1024 since there was a modification in pck.cpp about png_image and the crash occurs exactly before executing the first AddImage command from LUA.

I commented the lines of the two "#ifdef _WIN32" in pck.cpp : it compiles and runs on win98, looks like this was the problem. Edited by nachtwolf

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, is that link for the beta the most recent version??! Cause I have been encountering player that have newer versions than me.

OH YEAH is there also a statistic for beta running?

Edited by decoder

Hey guys, is that link for the beta the most recent version??! Cause I have been encountering player that have newer versions than me.

For the latest beta always check download links on http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net

OH YEAH is there also a statistic for beta running?

Yes, it is here: http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/results.php

The same server and statistics is used for all versions of the game now.

• 2 weeks later...
Any signs of a Win 98 compatible version?

Well, it is hard to ensure Win 98 support as I don't have it installed on my computer and can't test it (I even doubt it can be installed on my computer because of SATA HDD). We have had a number of Win 98 specific issues already (sound problems for example). The number of people using UFO2000 on Windows 98/ME has always been quite low (even lower than the number of Linux users). In addition, Win 98 will be officially dead after July 11, 2006: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98

With all that said, Windows 98 can be well supported any if we find a developer interested in its support and who has such system installed ready for testing. Without proper testing on Windows 98, the future UFO2000 releases may work in it or may not depending on luck.

The fix has been committed I think, it is just a matter of waiting for the next release.

It is not quite a fix, it is a feature causing problems on Win 98 disabled. It would be desirable to still have it in the game though.

Edited by Serge

Can any of Windows 98 users test a fix?

Just install beta 0.7.1031, download http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/files/ufo2000-win32-fixed-exe.zip and replace ufo2000.exe in ufo2000 directory. Try to run the game after that.

If it works, the fix will be committed to repository and released with the next beta. Thanks.

Can any of Windows 98 users test a fix?

Just install beta 0.7.1031, download http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/files/ufo2000-win32-fixed-exe.zip and replace ufo2000.exe in ufo2000 directory. Try to run the game after that.

If it works, the fix will be committed to repository and released with the next beta. Thanks.

Hi Serge.

Good work - after your patch game working... first time after start game freeze when I connect to server (restart pc), but second time all working!

Thanks

Works here too, but crashes when entering the soldier's inventory.

This is what it said when crashed: Assert failed at line 135 of src/script_api.cpp

EDIT: Fixed. I was using an outdated standard images file.

Edited by Jezulkim

since we're on the topic of sound, I've just downloaded the 1045 update and some of the weapon sounds aren't working.

Which sounds exactly are not working? What weapon set are you using? Please provide more details, preferably in the bugtracker.

since we're on the topic of sound, I've just downloaded the 1045 update and some of the weapon sounds aren't working.

Which sounds exactly are not working? What weapon set are you using? Please provide more details, preferably in the bugtracker.

it's in the bugtracker now, but the latest version # isn't showing up there yet

Ummm...is is just me, or is there no music files at all?

EDIT: I copyed them from older version...

EDIT2: And right after that i overwrittened them with some Iron Maiden songs

(loosing al the time don't feel that bad when you have Iron Maiden playing on the background) :D

Edited by Sinofdamnation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry reported this elsewhere but I guess that was the wrong place.

Having issues with the game freezing in the server, particularly if I am waiting for someone and minimize the screen to do other things. Using WinXp, with the latest version of the Beta.

Thanks.

Edited by Longshot

• 5 months later...
whats fixed in the lastest beta?

Try out 0.7.1067 !

Available directly on sourceforge since I can't access the website's FTP at the moment due to Shell server being down.

I did quite a bit of work on this one

:Brickwall:

Here's what changed :

The replays are fixed !!! :cheers:

Objects in the path of the throw are now shown (Thanks a lot judeau) :D

New mainmenu =b

Battlescape and maps now support 16 levels - this behavior is temporary, in the future, the number of levels will resize depending on the needs of the terrain. :construction:

Edited by nachtwolf

Ok, Sourceforge's shell is finally back so I was able to change the news on the website.

Check out 0.7.1067 !

Here's what changed :

The replays are fixed !!! :cheers:

Objects in the path of the throw are now shown (Thanks a lot judeau) :D

New mainmenu =b

Battlescape and maps now support 16 levels - this behavior is temporary, in the future, the number of levels will resize depending on the needs of the terrain. :construction:

You should fix this asap, the game is ruined with 16 levels on a normal map.

If someone really wants 16 levels on a weird map, fine...but don't allow this on normal maps.

You should fix this asap, the game is ruined with 16 levels on a normal map.

If someone really wants 16 levels on a weird map, fine...but don't allow this on normal maps.

This feedback is truly appreciated and I think it is priceless! Thanks a lot B)

I'll look in to it right now. Could you go describe why it is ruined?

http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/mantis/view.php?id=30

Is it because of people using explosives? flying units? The heavy flying auto-canon raping of doom?

Ok, this has been fixed in 1069, it will be public with the next Beta release (soon)

Edited by nachtwolf

Dont forget to add the newest cversion of the weaponset BTW - im fed up of not being able to play anyone

Yes spritelord ^_^

Ok, Beta 1071 is available !

What's new ?

LUA maps are now supported, tile limit is around 32000 tiles for LUA maps. - should be enough

(in .map files, 253 limit can't be changed)

Aliens are back with mean inventory pictures!

UFO2000 weapons have been updated.

Battlescape now resizes to cut those unnecessary levels.

enjoy! ^_^

Edited by nachtwolf

Great work with the latest beta releases, nachtwolf =b

We should think about getting some kind of stable version very soon for those who don't like to upgrade too often. While beta 0.7.1062 served as a stable version substitute for quite a long time, this is not the case anymore with the frequent new beta releases :)

Hey all, just wanted to tell you ufo2000.sourceforge.net is a little messed up.

The "most recent" link downloads 0.1.1071 while the .1071 like downloads .1067 :(

Oops, fixed this. My mistake

Edit: And .1071 doesn't connect to the server properly :( :(

Could you explain this? I haven't noticed any problem with logging in.

Edit: And .1071 doesn't connect to the server properly :( :(

Could you explain this? I haven't noticed any problem with logging in.

After the log in window it sais "please upgrade to a more recent version".

I've downloaded the 1071 and installed it on top of the old 1067 version (without uninstalling) and got this error.

Then I applied the 1067 patch again on top of 1071 and everything is in order again (I can connect and play).

I was reluctant uninstalling the 1067 version and making a fresh install, because I use the xcom and tftd folders for maps.

Once I uninstalled it deleted all the xcom and tftd folders, which makes it a tedious task to upgrade.

Not to mention that it might confuse newbies (like me 3 days ago).

best regards

Edited by doodydota

In replays you should be able to view enemy unit stats (TU/HEALTH/...) I don't think you can right now.

In replays you should be able to left click a guy in order to select him. Right now I am tab tab/shifting through the units every time.

There should be an 'auto-center' option in replays.

Edited by doodydota

I have uploaded a second version of the 1071 installer. Hopefully this one works.

Get it here : http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/ (make sure you refresh the page)

I had made a stupid mistake with the previous one.

Cheers!

@NatchWolf : Original bases Maps from UFO (xcom and alien base ) only have 2 levels. Could they be fixed to 2 levels, not 3 ?

With the new 16 level height, I may design a huber-skyscrapper soon. Be prepared... well, yeah, why not.

Does indestructible terrain exist ?

It's not really possible (and not wise at all) to go case by case there, I set the number of levels as (Levels used + 1) (max 16) to avoid the "grenades hit the sky bug."

I understand your concerns (flying units).

Fixing the grenades hit the sky bug would remove the need for this extra level.

@NatchWolf : Original bases Maps from UFO (xcom and alien base ) only have 2 levels. Could they be fixed to 2 levels, not 3 ?

With the new 16 level height, I may design a huber-skyscrapper soon. Be prepared... well, yeah, why not.

Does indestructible terrain exist ?

It's not really possible (and not wise at all) to go case by case there, I set the number of levels as (Levels used + 1) (max 16) to avoid the "grenades hit the sky bug."

I understand your concerns (flying units).

Fixing the grenades hit the sky bug would remove the need for this extra level.

Then again, there should be a way to indicate if there is a "roof" or not, like in the 2 level bases. Throwing grenades from one room to the other would be very funny.

• 1 month later...

Allright everyone, time for a new beta release!

UFO2000 Beta 0.7.1079 is available!

This one is a blast and represents almost a year of work on some features.

Chrysalids have been implemented (don't expect them to spawn zombies though)

We can now add new aliens and HWP, with tweakable stats through LUA

We now have a medipac and motion scanner !

Many, many thanks to Sporb for helping with this release!

Get it now !

http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/

Edited by nachtwolf