XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Seb76's Ufo Extender

j'ordos

XcomUtil + Sebs loader doesn't work for me either. Perhaps an older version?

Looks like J'ordoss mught be using the "dev" version here http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=I...xtender-dev.zip. It seems out of date compared to the main version. I think some of my problem is just getting xcomutil to work with with Dxwnd.

If Sebs program would just remember equipment loadouts like Xcomutil does I wouldn't really care about Xcomutil anymore. Why oh why does the original game load down guys with STR20 with a missile launcher, 3 missiles and every grenade? WTF At least I can see thier stats now and adjust the equipment accordingly.

A while ago I changed the loader so that it does not show the console anymore. If that's the cause of the problem you can try using an old loader with a more recent patcher.dll and see what you get.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like J'ordoss mught be using the "dev" version here http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=I...xtender-dev.zip. It seems out of date compared to the main version. I think some of my problem is just getting xcomutil to work with with Dxwnd.

If Sebs program would just remember equipment loadouts like Xcomutil does I wouldn't really care about Xcomutil anymore. Why oh why does the original game load down guys with STR20 with a missile launcher, 3 missiles and every grenade? WTF At least I can see thier stats now and adjust the equipment accordingly.

A while ago I changed the loader so that it does not show the console anymore. If that's the cause of the problem you can try using an old loader with a more recent patcher.dll and see what you get.

Just replaced the loader with the DEV version and it works (sorta) now!

I renamed ufoloader.exe to xcloader.exe and ran runxcomw.bat.

Played the intro, no language options and proceeded to load an old save game in middle of a battle. But upon moving my first squaddie off the avenger, xcom crashed with an option to close or debug.

Tried again just use Seb's loader which would load "ufo defense.exe" instead of the split up geoscape and tactical and it worked fine.

Will run a few more tests later but thanks for the headsup Seb!

Fullscreen on a 37" monitor is crazy blocky though! :)

I figured out my problem. Dxwnd doesn't window programs called from the DOS prompt or batch files. =p Works fine if I launch them by double clicking directly. But running the same program from a command prompt doesn't trigger DXWND. I can't play the windows version without it. So I can have xcomutil in DOS or your mods in windows but not both on my Vista rig.

I do have a thought. The "easy" (easy for me, work for you!) way to make it work is to reverse the interaction. Create a mod in the patcher that will call Xcomutil. Therefore you replace the batch file with the loader. In fact it could run a little more often and therefore do things plain xcomutil could not. Like sort and name soldiers during geoscape.

I am not sure what the commands would be, I would have to reverse engineer the runxcomw.bat file more and I need to go build a chicken coop.

[utilities]

Run Utilities=0|1

Run before battle="xcomutil ..."

Run after battle ="xcomutil ..."

Run before base screen="xcomutil ..."

[edit: clarify post a little]

Edited by SaintD

I have a question, just out of curiosity.

In theory - if you would have unlimited time to work on ufo extender - how far you could go with extending?

Things like adding new weapons/technologies into game (i don't mean replacing), rising resolution, replacing graphics. Would such things be possible?

I figured out my problem. Dxwnd doesn't window programs called from the DOS prompt or batch files. =p Works fine if I launch them by double clicking directly. But running the same program from a command prompt doesn't trigger DXWND. I can't play the windows version without it. So I can have xcomutil in DOS or your mods in windows but not both on my Vista rig.

I do have a thought. The "easy" (easy for me, work for you!) way to make it work is to reverse the interaction. Create a mod in the patcher that will call Xcomutil. Therefore you replace the batch file with the loader. In fact it could run a little more often and therefore do things plain xcomutil could not. Like sort and name soldiers during geoscape.

I am not sure what the commands would be, I would have to reverse engineer the runxcomw.bat file more and I need to go build a chicken coop.

[utilities]

Run Utilities=0|1

Run before battle="xcomutil ..."

Run after battle ="xcomutil ..."

Run before base screen="xcomutil ..."

[edit: clarify post a little]

Hum , you can post your wishes on my talk page at UFOpaedia ;-) As for adding hooks in the loader, it is possible but only before going to geoscape or battlescape mode. xcomutil modifies savegame data so it would have no effect running it elsewhere...

In theory - if you would have unlimited time to work on ufo extender - how far you could go with extending?

Things like adding new weapons/technologies into game (i don't mean replacing), rising resolution, replacing graphics. Would such things be possible?

Life would be boring if we had time to do whatever we want ;-) More seriously, one thing I'd like to add is some kind of hall of fame with number of missions/kills, status (KIA...) for the best soldiers, and how the guys bought their farms (headshot from plasma fire, friendly fire killed by a grenade, stuff like that...). I think it would be fun in an ironman scenario. This was the reason why I added the option to have the stunned units die from explosions instead of going MIA in the first place... There is still some way to go before making it happen though.

I said somewhere that I'm not interested in resource modding so I don't think I'd add new weapons/technologies.

As for rising resolution, I'm working on that right now but it is proving difficult (mostly because I cannot bring the debugger up when a fullsceen DX app goes to outer space...). The crash sites on the geoscape looks really crappy with scale2x BTW ;-)

Seb

The crash sites on the geoscape looks really crappy with scale2x BTW ;-)

Seb

I am not a fan of HQX for XCOM. I prefer ADVINTERP3X from DOSBOX. I am not sure how the algorithm works v.s. hqx, but it makes xcom look nicer IMHO.

As for rising resolution, I'm working on that right now but it is proving difficult (mostly because I cannot bring the debugger up when a fullsceen DX app goes to outer space...). The crash sites on the geoscape looks really crappy with scale2x BTW ;-)

Seb

When i wrote about rising graphics i meant to use higher resolution without scaling. For example in battlescape you could see more area (like in ufo2000). I'm just asking out of curiosity, i know that such things would require heavy amount of work (maybe even more than rewriting it from scratch). But, do you think that such things would be possible?

I'm curious how much can be changed by patching program at runtime.

While we are on topic of patching/modding games - look what those people achieved with elite: frontier first encounters (maybe some of you would know elite series):

http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/viewtopic.php?t=47314

But they are crazy ;) But they used other technique - AFAIK they used dissasembled code, rewrited part of it in C with direct 3d and compiled it again.

The crash sites on the geoscape looks really crappy with scale2x BTW ;-)

Seb

I am not a fan of HQX for XCOM. I prefer ADVINTERP3X from DOSBOX. I am not sure how the algorithm works v.s. hqx, but it makes xcom look nicer IMHO.

Just for fun, I loaded my old saves into a DOS 1.4 Xcom + XCU setup and took some screenshots in DOSBOX at 800x600 in a window:

First shot is normal interpolation 3x

Second shot is Scale3x (note the artifacts on the brick walls)

Third shot is advance mame 3x - same as the second shot really

Fourth shot is HQ3x

Seb is right that Scale3x is ugly (for xcom) but normal 3x interpolation is good enough just to get some hires window action. On a big monitor and ~ 18-24" away, HQx modes look good to me with a slight fuzziness ; must be 16-bit colored window on 32 bit desktop artifacts but there are new versions on the net with full 32-bit color remapping support).

post-17484-1241020203_thumb.pngpost-17484-1241020230_thumb.pngpost-17484-1241020264_thumb.pngpost-17484-1241020304_thumb.png

Note: Most of these modes looks good on old RPGs and adventure games btw.

And Seb, if you can find the time to squeeze in 1 extra function into your mod, it would be ET's ALL ALLOCATE function to allocate engineer and scientist to projects by selection LESS THAN 1 in the respective screens.

I think XCU and your mod has everything we already need already (okay another vote for mp3 or flac or ogg support for guys who don't want to keep the PSX xcom in the CDROM) .

Edited by Valken

Life would be boring if we had time to do whatever we want ;-) More seriously, one thing I'd like to add is some kind of hall of fame with number of missions/kills, status (KIA...) for the best soldiers, and how the guys bought their farms (headshot from plasma fire, friendly fire killed by a grenade, stuff like that...). I think it would be fun in an ironman scenario. This was the reason why I added the option to have the stunned units die from explosions instead of going MIA in the first place... There is still some way to go before making it happen though.

Reminds me of the cannon fodder graveyard hill :)

And Seb, if you can find the time to squeeze in 1 extra function into your mod, it would be ET's ALL ALLOCATE function to allocate engineer and scientist to projects by selection LESS THAN 1 in the respective screens.

Just done that, go grab the new version ^_^ Don't ask for the autosell feature though, I find it quite lame.

BTW guys, I'm looking for an icon to put on the loader, any idea where I could get a good one? For now I'm using a dummy "grey alien" one but I'm sure something better can be done...

Just done that, go grab the new version ^_^ Don't ask for the autosell feature though, I find it quite lame.

Briefly tested on Windows XP SP3:

Installed the new patcher.dll with the older loader and it loads with xcomutil! The "all allocate" function works in geoscape! Thank you!

Note: newest loader still does not work with xcomutil.

But the stunfest option does not bring up the TARGETING reticule when selected. Tried it with 1 gun in either hand, or 1 gun in each hand.

Only the selector box is used which is for movement.

Also tried the april dev build with scale 2x patcher.dll:

- does not work with xcomutil + old 08.05.2008 dev loader when running runxcomw.bat

- invoking the old, included or newer dev loader without xcomutil, thus loading "ufo defense.exe" works, but I get a blank full screen with no graphics. I can hear the sounds so I alt tabbed back out to the desktop to turn "ufo defense.exe" off.

Is there some other setting to test the scaling function with the new game functions?

Also, is there a way to save the equipment settings for each soldier without invoking xcomutil? Having that function would allow me to let go of xcomutil.

BTW guys, I'm looking for an icon to put on the loader, any idea where I could get a good one? For now I'm using a dummy "grey alien" one but I'm sure something better can be done...

Some of the best icons I've seen came with the STEAM version of Xcom which are the same as the WindowsCE version. Perhaps modify the colors to suit your needs? Like a green or red variant to show "enhancement?"

See attached icons. Darnit. Forum does not accept 7zip archives! Back to zip!

games.zip

Some of the best icons I've seen came with the STEAM version of Xcom which are the same as the WindowsCE version. Perhaps modify the colors to suit your needs? Like a green or red variant to show "enhancement?"

See attached icons. Darnit. Forum does not accept 7zip archives! Back to zip!

Thanks for the archive but I don't want to use "official" icons since it could bring copyright issues.

Briefly tested on Windows XP SP3:

Installed the new patcher.dll with the older loader and it loads with xcomutil! The "all allocate" function works in geoscape! Thank you!

Note: newest loader still does not work with xcomutil.

But the stunfest option does not bring up the TARGETING reticule when selected. Tried it with 1 gun in either hand, or 1 gun in each hand.

Only the selector box is used which is for movement.

Also tried the april dev build with scale 2x patcher.dll:

- does not work with xcomutil + old 08.05.2008 dev loader when running runxcomw.bat

- invoking the old, included or newer dev loader without xcomutil, thus loading "ufo defense.exe" works, but I get a blank full screen with no graphics. I can hear the sounds so I alt tabbed back out to the desktop to turn "ufo defense.exe" off.

Is there some other setting to test the scaling function with the new game functions?

Also, is there a way to save the equipment settings for each soldier without invoking xcomutil? Having that function would allow me to let go of xcomutil.

The stun effect works on the unit right in front of you (same as the stun rod) and does not show up any menu/targeting scope. It simply does nothing if noone is in front.

For the scaling, DX won't accept going to 640x400 resolution hence the black screen... However it can do 1280x800 OK. Sadly the hiend3d site is down so I could not do tests with HQ4x. Scale2x then normal 2x works though (except for the ugly graphics).

Edit: nevermind, could grab HQ4x on waybackmachine ^_^

Edit2: Got HQ4x working in 1280x800 after fighting my way into making use of 32bpp instead of paletted... The background pictures look a bit blurred as if bilinearly filtered. Works fast enough on my core2@2GHz, even with the C version of HQ4x.

Edited by Seb76

is it possible to get this to work with the steam version?

I gave up getting the game to work with the CE version. :/

[edit] Also, have you considered rebalancing / bugfixing TFTD?

Edited by Draxo

is it possible to get this to work with the steam version?

I gave up getting the game to work with the CE version. :/

[edit] Also, have you considered rebalancing / bugfixing TFTD?

Did you want to use just this mod with the STEAM version or with xcomutil?

You only need to install this mod into your Steam Xcom folder =

C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM\

And make a shortcut to UFOLOADER.EXe to your desktop!

Also edit the UFOLOADER.INI file to turn on (set to 1) or off (set to 0) for the mods/functions you want.

If you want to also use xcomutil 0.96 in conjunction with Seb's mod, just follow the instructions in a previous post above but replace the UFOLOADER.EXE with a DEV version and make a shortcut to RunXcomW.bat instead. Also need to edit rename the dev UFOLOADER.EXE to xCLOADER.EXE.

AFAIK, STEAM Xcom is basically DOS and CE 1.4 with DOSBox setup for it.

Agree with you for a TFTD mod in the future from Seb! :)

Edited by Valken

For the scaling, DX won't accept going to 640x400 resolution hence the black screen... However it can do 1280x800 OK. Sadly the hiend3d site is down so I could not do tests with HQ4x. Scale2x then normal 2x works though (except for the ugly graphics).

Edit2: Got HQ4x working in 1280x800 after fighting my way into making use of 32bpp instead of paletted... The background pictures look a bit blurred as if bilinearly filtered. Works fast enough on my core2@2GHz, even with the C version of HQ4x.

I works for me aswell on my dual core 3.6GHZ desktop also. This is intended but it's worth mentioning that it only works with DXWnd, the loader alone with crash without it.

A side note: Would it make sense to move this to a technical support sticky along with the other patches that improve game experience?

I works for me aswell on my dual core 3.6GHZ desktop also. This is intended but it's worth mentioning that it only works with DXWnd, the loader alone with crash without it.

A side note: Would it make sense to move this to a technical support sticky along with the other patches that improve game experience?

I got Sebs mod + xcomutil + DXWin working! Only had to modify the runxcomw.bat file via this thread http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7365

Attached for you guys who want to try it.

---

Test report:

Just tried the new HQ4x dev patcher.dll and still have a problem running fullscreen which turns black (desktop is set at 1920x1080 FullHD). So I ran in "windowed" mode instead as per above.

Last non graphic scaling beta (may 01, 2009 build) worked fullscreen and still does.

When running in windowed mode - 1280x800, there is blurring as if bilinear filters were turned on. When running in a 800x600 window, less blurring. It might be stretching due to changing a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 or 16:10.

But with this new patcher.dll, my mouse is limited to moving within a ~ centered invisible "640x400/480" window within the 800x600 or 1280x800 windowed game.

In other words, ~ 1 inch of invisible boarder exists and is not allowing me to move my mouse, mostly to the right and bottom portions so I cannot control my team or navigate the tactical map.

Replace back the older May 1st 2009 non dev patcher.dll and it works fine, even windowed but without the HQ or Scale filter!

I cannot test in fullscreen mode at all and have tried to set my desktop to 640x480, 1280x720 and 1920x1080. Running on a 1080p Full HD monitor with a geforce 6800 ultra.

RunXcomWM.zip

Edited by Valken

I got Sebs mod + xcomutil + DXWin working! Only had to modify the runxcomw.bat file via this thread http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7365

Attached for you guys who want to try it.

---

Test report:

Just tried the new HQ4x dev patcher.dll and still have a problem running fullscreen which turns black (desktop is set at 1920x1080 FullHD). So I ran in "windowed" mode instead as per above.

Last non graphic scaling beta (may 01, 2009 build) worked fullscreen and still does.

When running in windowed mode - 1280x800, there is blurring as if bilinear filters were turned on. When running in a 800x600 window, less blurring. It might be stretching due to changing a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 or 16:10.

But with this new patcher.dll, my mouse is limited to moving within a ~ centered invisible "640x400/480" window within the 800x600 or 1280x800 windowed game.

In other words, ~ 1 inch of invisible boarder exists and is not allowing me to move my mouse, mostly to the right and bottom portions so I cannot control my team or navigate the tactical map.

Replace back the older May 1st 2009 non dev patcher.dll and it works fine, even windowed but without the HQ or Scale filter!

I cannot test in fullscreen mode at all and have tried to set my desktop to 640x480, 1280x720 and 1920x1080. Running on a 1080p Full HD monitor with a geforce 6800 ultra.

Does your screen support 1280x800 resolution?

No for my primary computer. I'm using a 16:9 HDTV as a monitor. Only supports 320x 240 - built in scaler to 640x480), 640x480 (not 640x400), 800x600, 1280x720, 1600x900 and 1920x1080.

I will see if I can try it on a laptop at 1280x800 or and older desktop with a 4:3 1024x768 monitor.

No for my primary computer. I'm using a 16:9 HDTV as a monitor. Only supports 320x 240 - built in scaler to 640x480), 640x480 (not 640x400), 800x600, 1280x720, 1600x900 and 1920x1080.

I will see if I can try it on a laptop at 1280x800 or and older desktop with a 4:3 1024x768 monitor.

OK, I updated the test version. What it does now is set the resolution to the default monitor's, render the image in 1280x800 and then blits it back to the screen, applying some stretching if needed (sadly adding some artefacts :( ). Any success with this one?

OK, I updated the test version. What it does now is set the resolution to the default monitor's, render the image in 1280x800 and then blits it back to the screen, applying some stretching if needed (sadly adding some artefacts :( ). Any success with this one?

o.O

This version runs without using DXWnd on full screen 1680x1050 monitor. I want to emphasize: FULL FULL screen, unlike ET's patch with the black block right and bottom. Also did you do something that effects battlescape speed? I have to set it to FOUR(!!!!). Don't forget I'm the guy who is always whining about UFO being unplayable to fast on my PC.

However it feels like there's some sort of "frameskip".

I hate repeating myself but I'm gonna vote again to move this thread to technical support sticky =.=

Edited by kasumimi

I hate repeating myself but I'm gonna vote again to move this thread to technical support sticky =.=

That wouldn't be the correct place for this thread though. (Technically this isn't even the correct forum for it, but I hesitate to move it while there is a lot of activity). Maybe a separate post there linking here would be a better idea. ;)

- Zombie

Test report (HQ4x filter 05.06.09):

Screen scrolling is fixed so I can navigate the tactical and character equip screens now!

Filtering tests @ Desktop 1920x1080 and 1280x720:

A) UFOLoader.exe (04.26.09) + patcher.dll (05.06.09) + Xcom CE = drops to 640x480 fullscreen with no filtering. I know it works since it does skip the language selection screen.

B ) UFOLoader.exe Dev version (08.05.08) + patcher.dll (05.06.09) + Xcom CE = drops to 640x480 fullscreen with no filtering.

C) Xcomutil 0.96 + UFOLoader.exe Dev version (08.05.08) + patcher.dll (05.06.09) + Xcom CE = drops to 640x480 fullscreen with no filtering.

D) Xcomutil 0.96 with modified RunXcomW.bat +DXWin + UFOLoader.exe Dev version (08.05.08) + patcher.dll (05.06.09) + Xcom CE = Windowed at whatever resolution was set but no filtering.

See attachment below for picture quality in window. Looks the same as using the 05.01.09 non HQx patcher.dll.

post-17484-1241686068_thumb.png

However, if I swap back the 05.03.09 HQ4x patcher.dll and ran the above tests at different resolutions:

Desktop 1920x1080

A) Blank screen

B ) Blank screen

C) Blank screen

D) Windowed and blurry - See attachment below

post-17484-1241686816_thumb.png

Desktop 1280x720

A) runs in a "bordered window" - bilinear type filtering? - See attachment below

B ) looks like A

C) Blank screen (drops to 640x480 @ 59 Hz res)

D) looks like A

post-17484-1241686012_thumb.png

I also attached a DOSBox + Xcom 1.4 DOS (no xcomutil) @ 1280 x 768(there was no 1280x800 res but is close) windowed screenshot with HQ3x for comparison.

post-17484-1241686148_thumb.png

BTW: the 2 new HQ4x test dlls are almost twice as big as before? Just noticed it. :)

Edited by Valken

Hello everyone.

I want to thank Seb76 for his amazing work with the patch. However, I have two questions. First, there is a problem with the Ufopaedia entry about the Craft Weapons: accuracy is written to be equal to the damage, though it is clearly not so. Second, there are problems with quite a few sounds in CE version (list taken from strife67's Voices patch):

snakeman movement is also stun rod

small explosion is also snakeman movement

big explosion is also celatid movement

cannon shot is also small explosion and zombie movement

psi attacks also sound like an alien scream

Is there a chance these bugs could be fixed? I think they are the only ones left that interfere with enjoying UFO experience to its fullest.

P.S. Oh, and almost forgot the bug with unconscious soldiers. If they die, the die exactly in the same tile they were stunned. That also means they disappear from invenory if they were carried by other soldiers, leading among other things to 'unconscious ghost' bug.

Edited by Nevill

Test report (HQ4x filter 05.06.09):

Screen scrolling is fixed so I can navigate the tactical and character equip screens now!

Filtering tests @ Desktop 1920x1080 and 1280x720:

A) UFOLoader.exe (04.26.09) + patcher.dll (05.06.09) + Xcom CE = drops to 640x480 fullscreen with no filtering. I know it works since it does skip the language selection screen.

B ) UFOLoader.exe Dev version (08.05.08) + patcher.dll (05.06.09) + Xcom CE = drops to 640x480 fullscreen with no filtering.

C) Xcomutil 0.96 + UFOLoader.exe Dev version (08.05.08) + patcher.dll (05.06.09) + Xcom CE = drops to 640x480 fullscreen with no filtering.

D) Xcomutil 0.96 with modified RunXcomW.bat +DXWin + UFOLoader.exe Dev version (08.05.08) + patcher.dll (05.06.09) + Xcom CE = Windowed at whatever resolution was set but no filtering.

See attachment below for picture quality in window. Looks the same as using the 05.01.09 non HQx patcher.dll.

post-17484-1241686068_thumb.png

However, if I swap back the 05.03.09 HQ4x patcher.dll and ran the above tests at different resolutions:

Desktop 1920x1080

A) Blank screen

B ) Blank screen

C) Blank screen

D) Windowed and blurry - See attachment below

post-17484-1241686816_thumb.png

Desktop 1280x720

A) runs in a "bordered window" - bilinear type filtering? - See attachment below

B ) looks like A

C) Blank screen (drops to 640x480 @ 59 Hz res)

D) looks like A

post-17484-1241686012_thumb.png

I also attached a DOSBox + Xcom 1.4 DOS (no xcomutil) @ 1280 x 768(there was no 1280x800 res but is close) windowed screenshot with HQ3x for comparison.

post-17484-1241686148_thumb.png

BTW: the 2 new HQ4x test dlls are almost twice as big as before? Just noticed it. :)

Did you put an "HQ4x=1" line under the Mod section in your ini file?

Edited by Seb76

o.O

This version runs without using DXWnd on full screen 1680x1050 monitor. I want to emphasize: FULL FULL screen, unlike ET's patch with the black block right and bottom. Also did you do something that effects battlescape speed? I have to set it to FOUR(!!!!). Don't forget I'm the guy who is always whining about UFO being unplayable to fast on my PC.

However it feels like there's some sort of "frameskip".

I use the C version of HQ4x which is quite a stress on the CPU, that may explain the speed decrease. Also for the frameskip, it may be due to the fact that I mistakenly flipped the surface before updating it... This causes a one frame delay that may be noticeable. I'll fix it in the next version ;-)

Hello everyone.

I want to thank Seb76 for his amazing work with the patch. However, I have two questions. First, there is a problem with the Ufopaedia entry about the Craft Weapons: accuracy is written to be equal to the damage, though it is clearly not so. Second, there are problems with quite a few sounds in CE version (list taken from strife67's Voices patch):

snakeman movement is also stun rod

small explosion is also snakeman movement

big explosion is also celatid movement

cannon shot is also small explosion and zombie movement

psi attacks also sound like an alien scream

Is there a chance these bugs could be fixed? I think they are the only ones left that interfere with enjoying UFO experience to its fullest.

P.S. Oh, and almost forgot the bug with unconscious soldiers. If they die, the die exactly in the same tile they were stunned. That also means they disappear from invenory if they were carried by other soldiers, leading among other things to 'unconscious ghost' bug.

If the fix relies only in replacing the resource files, you can try to use the voices patches' resources along with the patcher, it should work OK. I don't want to provide modified files because it would break compatibility with mods...

Did you put an "HQ4x=1" line under the Mod section in your ini file?

Didn't know we had to! :D It works now in both windowed and 1920x1080 Fullscreen!

But it eats up too much cpu power for me so lags. 2.6 GHz Pentium M cpu.

I uploaded another one which should be faster and might remove the "frameskiping" issue.

Don't choke on the new version, the asm HQ4x is even bigger ;-)

How do I use this with the DOSBOX that comes with the Steam version of the game?

I can play the game but its just as buggy as before without the dosbox.

However when launched as standard through steam its fine.

if I can get a step by step it would be wonderful.

Edited by Draxo

How do I use this with the DOSBOX that comes with the Steam version of the game?

I can play the game but its just as buggy as before without the dosbox.

However when launched as standard through steam its fine.

if I can get a step by step it would be wonderful.

Seb's Extender is only for Windows version unfortunately. If you just need need help on how to run UFO dos version with DOSbox you are in the wrong thread :()

I uploaded another one which should be faster and might remove the "frameskiping" issue.

Don't choke on the new version, the asm HQ4x is even bigger ;-)

Just tested it! Over 10x the size from the originals now! :) I thought ASM code was supposed to be more efficient?

It still lags for me. Especially on the tactical screen with 12-14 xcom units and 8+ Aliens. I need to turn off the filtering to have normal speeds. I have the scroll, run/walk and shoot speeds set pretty high so that may be it. Only Alien walk is set to slow so I can track their movement. Might need to drop down to HQ 3x or 2x to reduce the load?

BTW: The new smoke is crazy but I love it. I tested HE grenades and HE rockets on farms. No need for smoke grenade covers anymore :) I'm going to test a "demolition man" type scenario (blow up as much of the tactical map as possible) just to see the pretty effects! :D

Edited by Valken

Just tested it! Over 10x the size from the originals now! :) I thought ASM code was supposed to be more efficient?

It still lags for me. Especially on the tactical screen with 12-14 xcom units and 8+ Aliens. I need to turn off the filtering to have normal speeds. I have the scroll, run/walk and shoot speeds set pretty high so that may be it. Only Alien walk is set to slow so I can track their movement. Might need to drop down to HQ 3x or 2x to reduce the load?

BTW: The new smoke is crazy but I love it. I tested HE grenades and HE rockets on farms. No need for smoke grenade covers anymore :) I'm going to test a "demolition man" type scenario (blow up as much of the tactical map as possible) just to see the pretty effects! :D

ASM is meant for speed, not for size ;-) I guess the best way to have correct performance would be to replace DirectDraw with Direct3D and use shaders, but I'm a total noob when it comes to 3D stuff :-( Also I'm not sure there is a HQ4x shader out there...

What do you mean by "new smoke"? I only changed the limit of smoking tiles, nothing else was done.

The 7th May DL (the latest one that it obviously) eliminated any frameskip issues completely. The game now runs 100% smooth on Battlescape wtih scroll speed at 4 *Reminder I run on 3.6Ghz dual core*. Geoscape speed is still insane but the game is fully playable.

As a side note: I think HQ4x might be a little too much. There are some points where the soldiers give the feeling that they are floating over the ground grass for example. I ran DOSBox to check some of the built in scalers and it seems that HQ3x not as hardcore. All this is a matter of preference though.

Are you running the game with DXWnd? I can't run in now to make an actual test, but I recall that it dropped my performance dramatically by running UFO Defense.exe all by itself. Maybe the "DXWnd + HQ4x" combination with scaling reduces performance dramatically. Try running UFOextender alone and check if there's a difference.

Unless of course you strictly prefer windowed mode so I'll just stop my rambling :x

Edited by kasumimi

Are you running the game with DXWnd? I can't run in now to make an actual test, but I recall that it dropped my performance dramatically by running UFO Defense.exe all by itself. Maybe the "DXWnd + HQ4x" combination with scaling reduces performance dramatically. Try running UFOextender alone and check if there's a difference.

Unless of course you strictly prefer windowed mode so I'll just stop my rambling :x

Tried both DXWnd (set to BACKGROUND Priority - so it doesn't eat up 100% cPU) and FULLSCREEN. My CPU is 2.6 GHz but it is basically a 32-bit core solo (Yonah CPU) so is pretty nippy but it may be something to do with my setup.

I can run other ePSX with really good graphics settings better than Xcom with HQ4x! :D

ASM is meant for speed, not for size ;-) I guess the best way to have correct performance would be to replace DirectDraw with Direct3D and use shaders, but I'm a total noob when it comes to 3D stuff :-( Also I'm not sure there is a HQ4x shader out there...

What do you mean by "new smoke"? I only changed the limit of smoking tiles, nothing else was done.

Didn't know ASM was bloat infested!

If you have a chance, the newest build of winuae @ http://www.winuae.net/frames/download.html has a pack of Direct 3D based shaders/filters including HW assisted Scale,Super and HQ modes. OpenGL is included but is broken so don't bother. Source code should be there also.

It also has built in (software) scaling in terms of:

HIRES - doubling all 1x1 pixel blocks to 2x2 -sharp and good scaler for blocky look.

2xSal

SuperSal

SuperEagle

Scale2x

HQ2x/3x/4x

Best looking scalers in that emulator for me has been HQx modes, and a D3D HW shader based one called Direct 3D: AdvancedAA - It looks like HQ4x but sharper and my FPs went up pretty good.

All filters were ran with Point (32-bit) to keep sharpness. If it was set to Bilinear (16 or 32 bit) it would become slightly fuzzy even if I override my control panel for 16x Anistropic Filtering on my video card.

I got tired of the scaling stuff so I switched to another thing on the todo list: automatic reequiping. To make this work I have to deequip every soldiers before reequiping them with their saved items ; as result, I had to make something up to equip fresh recruits. When you have a new soldier, he'll be loaded with just some basic stuff (a gun, some clips, and a 'nade if available). This is far from perfect but it's just to avoid having naked soldiers if you forget to equip them... (BTW it works with the soldier's name so if you rename someone, you'll loose his equipment layout.)

I also took the liberty of adding an "auto-flare" feature: if you have some electroflares in you craft when attempting a night mission, soldiers will pick them up automatically (one per guy). I updated the loader too so that it should work again with xcomutil.

All of this is still highly experimental so I restricted it to the "dev" version of the loader. Send some feedback/bug reports and I'll add it to the official version when it's good enough.

Cheers,

Seb76

i'm typing this from my psp which i took with me to play xcom1 and 2 on a long journey in the mediterenean. my point is i wont be providing feedback for a while. hoping to see more stuff when i get back from Seb.

very offtopic im sorry :X

Seb, I just came up with an idea for another "bugfix" or Game improvement.

It occurred to me while reading the XcomWiki that Grenades in TFTD are nearly indestructable through means of combat damage (ie- other explosions), making it possible to stack grenades (and proximity grenades?) for a resulting 'massive' explosion, rather than 1 initial explosion that consumes other nearby grenades, not allowing them to unleash their destructive power.

Would it be possible to somehow edit the damage capacity/hit points of the "Grenade" items in Battlescape so that they are not destroyed by neighboring explosions?

It occurred to me while reading the XcomWiki that Grenades in TFTD are nearly indestructable through means of combat damage (ie- other explosions), making it possible to stack grenades (and proximity grenades?) for a resulting 'massive' explosion, rather than 1 initial explosion that consumes other nearby grenades, not allowing them to unleash their destructive power.

Would it be possible to somehow edit the damage capacity/hit points of the "Grenade" items in Battlescape so that they are not destroyed by neighboring explosions?

You can do that by modifying the obdata.dat file entries for the grenade items. I have a policy of not providing modified resource files so you'll have to do it yourself. It's not that hard, a simple hexeditor and the MS Calculator are all it takes ;-)

Edit: hum, maybe I can add a way to override key values (strength, weight, damage, etc.) for the obdata entries via the ini file? Raise your hand if you're interested...

Edited by Seb76

You can do that by modifying the obdata.dat file entries for the grenade items. I have a policy of not providing modified resource files so you'll have to do it yourself. It's not that hard, a simple hexeditor and the MS Calculator are all it takes ;-)

Edit: hum, maybe I can add a way to override key values (strength, weight, damage, etc.) for the obdata entries via the ini file? Raise your hand if you're interested...

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Could you be a little more specific and give me step by step instructions to changing the grenade item durability value for all the grenades in the game? (ie- regular, prox, HE, alien)..

Flares and smokes I don't mind being destructable.

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Could you be a little more specific and give me step by step instructions to changing the grenade item durability value for all the grenades in the game? (ie- regular, prox, HE, alien)..

Flares and smokes I don't mind being destructable.

OK, I uploaded a new version. Look at the bottom of the ini file and see if you can do what you want...

OK, I uploaded a new version. Look at the bottom of the ini file and see if you can do what you want...

Nice.. Got it.

[OBDATA.DAT]

Apply=1

Grenade Resistance=60

High Explosive Damage=200

Heavy Plasma Weight=10

Do I need to change the "Grenade Resistance" higher than 60 in order to make it indestructible by other grenade/proximity grenade explosions and does this affect proximities, Grenades, High Explosives, AND Alien Grenades, or only Grenades?

Also, High Explosive damage is normally lower than 200, so this changes it to 200 I assume?

And.. Heavy Plasma weight.. Does this make it heavier? (I don't mind that..) But in case you wanted it to be default, what is the default weight?

Edit: Sorry, I'm asking stupid questions. I just read the Readme.txt file and learned I could simply remove anything I wanted to remain "default", and I can look up the item names of High Explosives and other objects I wish to change their resistance to..

Think a good all-purpose Resistance would be approximately 200? This would protect grenades/prox/HE's against everything but Blaster Bombs and improved HE's.

Edit#2: Is this accurate for what I'm attempting to do?

[OBDATA.DAT]

Apply=1

Grenade Resistance=200

Proximity Grenade Resistance=200

Alien Grenade Resistance=200

High Explosive Resistance=200

Edited by EtherImp

Nice.. Got it.

[OBDATA.DAT]

Apply=1

Grenade Resistance=60

High Explosive Damage=200

Heavy Plasma Weight=10

Do I need to change the "Grenade Resistance" higher than 60 in order to make it indestructible by other grenade/proximity grenade explosions and does this affect proximities, Grenades, High Explosives, AND Alien Grenades, or only Grenades?

Also, High Explosive damage is normally lower than 200, so this changes it to 200 I assume?

And.. Heavy Plasma weight.. Does this make it heavier? (I don't mind that..) But in case you wanted it to be default, what is the default weight?

These are just examples to show the available settings ;-) Grenades explosions (human ones) have a strength of 50 so with a value of 60, they can resist that. If you want them to resist also alien grenades, you'll have to boost that again...

To affect all grenade types, you have to modify each one (e.g. Proximity Grenade Resistance=60, etc. See the readme.txt for instructions).

HE damage set to 200 is just to mimic xcomutil ; that way HE packs can breach UFO walls

You can just remove the lines if you're not interested, as I said they are just examples.

HTH,

Seb

Edit: Looks like you got it. Your values should do the trick. Just don't use anything greater than 255 or it'll warp...

Edited by Seb76

Awesome man. Thank you! I never imagined such a request would actually be filled by a modder so quickly. I really appreciate it. Your mod does a lot of good stuff.

Currently I'm using Moks Mod for alien death sounds and timer fix, and your mod for everything else. I actually like the fact that it doesn't change the EXE file, and the options can ALL be toggled and are described in a language which is easy enough to understand. The bug fixes available in your mod are unique also (Such as blaster bombs, etc).

Now if we could just get 1 unified mod that fixes *most* of the bugs and many of the common technical problems associated with the game, we'd be in business.

PS: Just thought of another neat possibility..

Make Aliens require LOS on THEIR Psi attacks as well. I don't care to remove Psi completely because otherwise Sectiods are completely underpowered.. But making it require knowledge of my position would be nice.

Currently the game handles Psi rather strangely on the Alien side.. As I understand it, as long as ANY alien can see ANY X-Com Unit, then ANY X-Com unit (whether invisible to the attacking alien or not) can be attacked.

Edited by EtherImp