XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Idea for Interception window

Guest Jim69

Guest Jim69

I don't know if this has been suggested, feel free to shoot me if it has

:explode:

For the Interceptor window, would it be possible to create a 3d version of the old asteroids game. Instead of having full control of the ship, just have the controls you have in the original; standoff, aggressive attack etc.

This would not need a lot of programming as asteroids if one of the first games most ppl learn to program along with tetris clones.

The AI wouldn't need to be really complicated, and u could have just a top down view to not complicate things.

Guest Jim69

No, I don't mean actually to be playable as the old asteroids, I mean like a 3d representation of the current interceptor window. I'm not sure how this would look and feel, and prehaps would be a little like graphics for graphics sake, I just would like to see what it would be like.

I am definatly not saying some kind of mini-game, as that would be lame.

Guest drewid

This has been suggested already somewhere.

getting a 3d thing instead of the old 2d is reasonably do-able, and should re-use chunks of code from elsewhere rather than needing tons of special case stuff.

• 3 months later...

You could, when enroute to cydonia, have a prompt "Do you wish to take the risky but quick route through part of the asteroid belt or spend an extra 5 days bypassing it?" (We would have to move cydonia to, say, one of jupiters moons-we could use the rings rather than asteroids then, or that is a second game!)

Maybe a second chance "We are approaching a dense patch of asteroids, do you wish to shoot you way through or take avoid action (adding 2 days to the journey)?"

Just don't have only fusion ball launchers with their limited shots....

Perhaps this could happen on the way back to the victory celebrations? This would turn it into an easter egg for winning. "While returning to earth you encounter a dense patch of asteroids..." or "After killing the brain on cydonia you decide to take a look at the rings of jupiter, enroute you encounter..."

You know, we could have a few cutscene events enroute to cydonia, such as some extremely pretty space scenes. This might make the wait for them to arrive less tedious.

See my space combat thread for a way to make the journey to cydonia more intresting.

Anyway, I like your ideas, but would they really be necesary? I mean, when you got to cydonia in the original, you arrived instantly there, like a base attack. This is a good thing to change though.

In the Playstation version you had a "cydonia here we come" animation.

Edit- I have an idea for how to do a 3d interceptor window. I'll do a mockup sometime of how it could look and work.

Edited by drewid