XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Sky Box

Level

I know this has already been discussed and is in completed, but I have some things to add.

When I ran Xenocide for the first time, the first thing everyone in my family that saw it asked was “why is there a nebula?”.

NASA has some sky maps here, they are not just black and white, and with the Milky Way snaking through it I don’t think it is to boring.

I don’t know why you want a box not a sphere, as a sphere would work better, but I am sure I can figure out how to cut it in to one.

Having it rotating would be cool, as for motion sickness, just add motion blur or make it streaks when moving fast.

This isn’t to hard and could be in version 1.

I believe the current skybox is just great, I *really* don't care whether it's realistic or not, as long as it looks as cool as it does now. The original X-Com was not realistic in that aspect either, no one really cared :)

skyboxes can be any shape.. Also, you want to use a low poly shape so that the comp doesn't make a lot of calculation just for the sky. A box is adequate, as the shaders shade it as if it's square, so you don't see the corners or anything.

I believe the current skybox is just great, I *really* don't care whether it's realistic or not, as long as it looks as cool as it does now. The original X-Com was not realistic in that aspect either, no one really cared :)

Well actually I do care. :) I would love a more realistic "skybox" (or sphere). On the other hand - the skybox we now have remembers me more of UFO:EU since it is less realistic - and more colorful... :).

I would suggest the following: We can't afford to spare programmers for this feature right now, buuut, if you're willing to code a patch so one can choose at game startup or even in the options dialog which skybox/sphere one likes I think noone will have objections... Of course you should speak to Rincewind about this first - I'm just a lower daemon of the CTD... ;)

Well actually I do care. :) I would love a more realistic "skybox" (or sphere). On the other hand - the skybox we now have remembers me more of UFO:EU since it is less realistic - and more colorful... :).

I would suggest the following: We can't afford to spare programmers for this feature right now, buuut, if you're willing to code a patch so one can choose at game startup or even in the options dialog which skybox/sphere one likes I think noone will have objections... Of course you should speak to Rincewind about this first - I'm just a lower daemon of the CTD... ;)

*hmph* <_< should have seen that one coming!

I consider it looking cool far more important, and a nebula always looks cool!

*hmph* <_ should have seen that one coming>

Indeed... :D

I consider it looking cool far more important, and a nebula always looks cool!

Yea. I agree on that. I do like the look of it. That's why I suggested that it would be cool if one could choose. :)

• 6 months later...

I found some images that are “Real” and “Cool” at Axel Mellinger's All-Sky Milky Way Panorama to make this but they are low-res, there are also some hi-res images that aren’t quite as cool at Cool Cosmos.

This animation has the fastest speed.

EarthStars4.gif

It could cause motion sickness (not for me), so it would be a good idea to be able to stop it, turn it off, or blur it.

with the possible exception of the second fastest the other speeds are slow enough that they would not affect you much and it would make a really long animation.

Edited by Level

It has been discussed thoroughly by most members, and for v1 we'll stick to the existing skybox. I actually voted for realism, but I really like the one we have.

This cube skybox (or was it dodecahedron?) has 2 major advantages to other models. Firstl, it is sufficient, you don't really notice any flaws, and secondly it doesn't use as computing power as another model would. Imagine a nearly perfect sphere...

In addition, you don't play the game to stare at the realistic skybox and Xenocide isn't Celestia. You want to see what happens on the globe, you won't stare at the milkyway while the battleship moves towards your base :P

But, just like a few other things, people are welcome to prepare code and multimedia for alternative versions of the game's features. The skybox selection could be an option in the Gameplay Options dialog! :)

Anyway, the programmers still have a lot of work to do until we reach v1, it's a pity to make them use/waste it on lower priorities, don't you think? :(

Edited by kafros

There's only one thing the skybox needs, and that's a little red dot in the distance. The game just wouldn't be complete without its martian brother. =b

Perhaps now and then, there can be a little glint of a ship as it comes to conquer you.