XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - NEUDARs (Short and Large Range)

SupSuper

Now, how will we remove the noise? The tanks must only "look down"...

Noise is no problem. :) I said: "...the UFOs emit that much, that these little tanks, filled with this special gel X-Corps scientists invented, are enough to detect an UFO... ".

If they emit that much neutrinos, you will still have a decent SNR. :) Trust me. I have callibrated a lot of physical equipment in my life. You have a lot of noise everywhere. but if you know the noise - and we do, it's no problem to compute even the tyniest signal out of it.

*hugs Mad and gives him a new coffee mug with his photo printed on it*

awww :) a mug! for me? :) That's great... you know what happened to the last one... :(

I know, I gave you that one too, remember? <_<

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, let's say that we've specialy calibrated the Neudars to adapt to the neutrino production rate of UFOs...

So, does a tiny scout produce as many neutrinos as a Battleship?

Or does even the tiny one produce so many that overwhelms the atmospheric noise?

So, let's say that we've specialy calibrated the Neudars to adapt to the neutrino production rate of UFOs...

So, does a tiny scout produce as many neutrinos as a Battleship?

Or does even the tiny one produce so many that overwhelms the atmospheric noise?

even the tiny one emitts enough to give a decent SNR. But we can discriminate between small, medium and large ufos. That is due to their different neutrino-waste production :)

Gentlemen, we have a situation here, so could you please stooooooooop SPAMming?! :NyaNyaNya:

*kafros snipers Mad's new mug, and the coffee is spilt on Azrael's brand new pink shirt

My new shirt! OMG ... I mean... I don't have a pink shirt <_<

edit: ok, ok, sorry :P

Edited by Azrael

So, the computer cuts out noise, and keeps track of the moving neutrino source...

1) Is there a chance of wrong detection?

2) What if the aliens produce xenium reactors that produce less neutrinos? We would never know! :(

1) Not in-game, but there could be in theory misdetections which could translate in the game mechanics as not detecting anything.

2) what if? what if? the thing is that they won't :) and if they did, well... we'd be screwed, but we are not :)

You have told us many times that we have to try to answer the questions a player may ask. Aren't these sensible questions that need rational answers?

What if analysis is the key to improvement and to knowledge :P

Edited by kafros

So, the computer cuts out noise, and keeps track of the moving neutrino source...

1) Is there a chance of wrong detection?

2) What if the aliens produce xenium reactors that produce less neutrinos? We would never know! :(

1) Not in-game, but there could be in theory misdetections which could translate in the game mechanics as not detecting anything.

2) what if? what if? the thing is that they won't :) and if they did, well... we'd be screwed, but we are not :)

1) there is, but the chance for not detecting anything is a lot bigger then for making a false positive. Could happen when a Super-nova occures.

2) well, they might need some time to develop sth like this, won't they? Maybe that's why they need us? remember our "creativity" discussion? :)

Edited by Mad

You have told us many times that we have to try to answer the questions a player may ask. Aren't these sensible questions that need rational answers?

What if analysis is the key to improvement and to knowledge :P

Yes, but one thing are questions about things unanswered and another thing is the VAST realm of the "what if...?" :) they have nothing to do and we have no need to get into the what-ifs :)

So:

1) We got the hyper-ultra-cool gel, but what is it exactly? Oxygen isotope? It is supposed to be something simple (remember: ice, oxygen, water are used nowadays).

2) We filter out the noise, we keep the strong sources which are ufos

3) Ufo size is proportional to neutrino emmision rate. That way, at the start of the game, you have "Small ufos, medium ufos, large ufos" and after researching each chassis, you know its emmision patterns and you can identify them!

Let's collect it in 3 posts, and I will provide a new draft :)

Edit:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/sno/neutrino.html

Neutrino - Matter interaction

Edit 2:

In the near future, we may have understood the way Neutrinos interact with matter, so we will be able to make effective neutrino detectors. Neutrinos CAN interact with matter, but we don't know how. In addition, neutrinos only interact via the weak force, so they don't get "screwed" mid-way like Electromagnetic Radiation (light) does.

Edited by kafros

how about the ufo noise being based on the diffrence in background atmospheric noise ?

us->ufo->atmosphere,

pinpoint atmospheric diffrences at based on ufo going 2000mph ish that prob would create a distinct sound and airfoil.

as for the sci-fi detection method do ufos block solar rays >? if so they could be detected by scanning for solar "blackspots"

kinda places on the earth with something blocking the suns rays (the ufo)

just anouther daft concept......

1) We got the hyper-ultra-cool gel, but what is it exactly? Oxygen isotope? It is supposed to be something simple (remember: ice, oxygen, water are used nowadays).

That is not my problem anymore... this is your CT.. :P

No, serious, it can be some hyper super duper thing. It doesn't need to be simple. But it could as well be something very simple like a lead-gel.

@Sneek:

Although tempting, these ideas don't use our neutrino pattern which we have to stick to.

@Mad:

I will do some more research on matter-neutrino interaction, and I will probably use a simple but dense chemical-gel, and implement the ideas we discussed before. Thanks for the teasers and ideas :)

My CT, huh? Ok.... For a moment I thought you deserved a new cup with sexy pictures on it, but now... :NoNo: :P

I'm going to sleep right now. I may have a new draft ready in 9 hours (after waking up :P), otherwise expect something tomorrow evening (probably, anyway...) :)

Edited by kafros

Neutrino interactions with matter are extremely rare, making detection difficult. Neutrino detectors are typically large tanks filled with a fluid that reacts to the passage of neutrinos. To take advantage of the high flux of neutrinos passing through the Earth (billions per second), neutrino detectors are made as large as possible. The larger the detector, the more neutrinos can be measured in a reasonable amount of time. For example the Super-Kamionkande device under construction in Japan is designed to detect about 11,000 neutrinos per year.

Early neutrino detectors were filled with perchloroethane (a type of cleaning fluid containing chlorine). A portion of the chlorine is isotope 37 (17 protons and 20 neutrons), which can react with neutrinos to produce Argon-37 (18 protons and 19 neutrons). The amount of Argon-37 created is then used to measure the neutrino flux.

Another fluid used for neutrino detection is water. Neutrino interactions in water produce the Cherenkov effect. Light emitted in this manner is detected by sensitive detectors surrounding the fluid. Cosmic rays can cause unwanted signals in these detectors. To avoid this problem, the detectors are put deep underground, so that layers of rock can shield the detector from cosmic rays.

Raymond Davis, Jr., of the Brookhaven National Laboratory, has set up a 400,000 liter tank of perchloroethylene (a type of cleaning fluid, C2Cl4,) to capture solar neutrinos. His tank is located deep underground in a gold mine (at Lead, South Dakota), where it is shielded by the earth and rock above from other particles that would cause reactions in his material. He is now detecting 1.8 (±0.4) Solar Neutrino Units (SNUs) [where one SNU corresponds to 10-' captures per chlorine atom per day, or one capture per day among a trillion, trillion, trillion atoms] of neutrinos. This amounts to about one interaction every six days.

Davis' results are lower by a factor of almost three than the best current predictions of the solar neutrino outflow, but within about twice the error (standard deviation) in the theoretical predictions, which give 4.7 (-1.4) SNU. He is planning an experiment using gallium rather than the chlorine presently in his tank, and a Soviet group is also planning a gallium experiment. Gallium is sensitive to lower-energy neutrinos than is chlorine.

http://www.ps.uci.edu/~superk/sk-info.html#pdk

Just for reference. I think I have a better view now, I'm working on it

SHORT RANGE NEUDAR FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Short Range NEUDAR

The Short Range Neutrino Detection Array is the only reliable UFO detection system we can currently depend on. X-Corps is the first military force to implement NEUDAR technology, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and counter the Alien vessels.

“We have neutrino-eye / looking at the sky!”

- Dr. Steven “Rhymester” Rosenberg

Records have shown that UFOs are capable of evading detection by conventional radars. It was speculated that the reason behind this was the very nature of the Alien construction materials and power sources. As a result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved vital to develop an effective means to detect them.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino levels. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source coincided with the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this phenomenon revealed that other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increases in neutrino detection rates during time periods that corresponded to those of reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of a neutrino detection array specifically designed to detect and track UFOs.

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. It consists of two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an X-ray detector. These RICH sensors are a real scientific revolution; spherical tanks filled with NEUDAR gel™, which is a dense gallium and thallium doped sodium iodide solution, and have their interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tube light sensors. When highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the ultra sensitive PMTs. After amplifying the signal in highly specialized low noise transistor amplifier, the signals are digitalized, encoded with time stamp and sensor coordinates, multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing. Thus, a very small but practical tank model was created. In addition to neutrino detection, an Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish™ detects X-Ray radiation, which assists in the identification of the target.

Although neutrino transformations naturally occur in the atmosphere, after extensive research it was found that Alien vessels produce uncommon amounts of neutrinos of all three flavors. The NEUDAR gel detects all flavors and so is unaffected by the Neutron Flavor Oscillation phenomenon. The system can automatically distinguish between noise and artificial neutrino sources. While there is no maximum range from which neutrinos can be detected, the SR model has an approximate maximum detection range of 1,000Km because of its extreme sensitivity to background noise.

If the target is identified as an Alien vessel, then the system automatically marks it to be tracked by the console’s hardware. All the collected information is sent to the main console, which computes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, which includes UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The NEUDAR operator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as improve detection speeds. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data that, besides being used for triangulation purposes, is also a source of data verification.

Because NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

"That many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detectrion...detaction... detraction... d’oh!"

- Tongue-tied scientist during Xenocide Technical Briefing

======

Many changes have taken place and a few paragraphs have changed place, so colors would be meaningless.

PLEASE, don't think that this version has too much "techie-chat". It's the most "soft" version I could come up with that sounds reasonable!

I'm proud of our work, thanks guys! =b

Well, it get's pretty technical in the 5th § (counting from the beginning, including the Fluff as §). On the other hand this is a pretty complicated thing, so this might be ok. People don't have to read this § to get the purpose of the NEUDARs. I don't know if it's a good idea to bee too specific on the gel, but that's only because I fear someone might come and say: "Hey hat's not how it works...". Maybe you should point out more, that the UFOs are extreme Neutrino sources? The X-Ray thing is not explained. Where do the X-Rays come from? Maybe don't write it can automaticly distinguish between noine and signal, since this sounds odd in the ears of those who know how to use a scientific detector. I would prefer something like "automaticly callibrating itself, using noise rates from both - or if other NEUDARs are available from all - tanks a good signal-noise ratio is obtained."

The explanaition of the small NEUDARs is not fitting I think. In a worst case scenario we can stick to it, but if you think of the fact, that Neutrinos travel 730 kilometer from the CERN to the OPERA detector without any problems, we might not have any problems detecting UFOs from a bigger distance then 1000km. On the other hand, I cannot come up with a better explanaition right now. Best shot I have - and maybe it's an idea - is that due to the fact we only have two tanks, triangulation angles get pretty small beyoynd 1000 km. So a pinpoint detection is not possible anymore.

The last sentence might be problematic, since in the beginning the player hasn't developed the large NEUDAR yet.

Nevertheless, very good work! =b

Well, it get's pretty technical in the 5th § (counting from the beginning, including the Fluff as §). On the other hand this is a pretty complicated thing, so this might be ok. People don't have to read this § to get the purpose of the NEUDARs.

We agree on this

I don't know if it's a good idea to bee too specific on the gel, but that's only because I fear someone might come and say: "Hey that's not how it works...". Maybe you should point out more, that the UFOs are extreme Neutrino sources?
Hey, how much extreme can they be? 99.9% efficiency with a tiny amount of Xenium (remember the EU entry?), this can't be that much.

In addition, what's the problem with the gel? Gallium and the other substance ARE USED NOWADAYS, and they seem to be more effective. Totally reasonable

The X-Ray thing is not explained. Where do the X-Rays come from?
Xenium reactors produce neutrons, gravitons (thus the anti-gravity effect) and X-Rays IIRC. Another source of information won't hurt!

Maybe don't write it can automaticly distinguish between noine and signal, since this sounds odd in the ears of those who know how to use a scientific detector.
Really?! Why? Could you elaborate on this please?

I would prefer something like "automaticly callibrating itself, using noise rates from both - or if other NEUDARs are available from all - tanks a good signal-noise ratio is obtained."
Interesting...

The explanaition of the small NEUDARs is not fitting I think. In a worst case scenario we can stick to it, but if you think of the fact, that Neutrinos travel 730 kilometer from the CERN to the OPERA detector without any problems, we might not have any problems detecting UFOs from a bigger distance then 1000km. On the other hand, I cannot come up with a better explanaition right now. Best shot I have - and maybe it's an idea - is that due to the fact we only have two tanks, triangulation angles get pretty small beyoynd 1000 km. So a pinpoint detection is not possible anymore.
Well, that was the main problem from the start... I think the triangulation idea is valid, I will refer to a nice comsology book I have which contains exactly this piece of information

The last sentence might be problematic, since in the beginning the player hasn't developed the large NEUDAR yet.
??????

He may not have BUILT one, but LR-NEUDARs are a standard human base module!!! It's something the player already knows!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Hey, how much extreme can they be? 99.9% efficiency with a tiny amount of Xenium (remember the EU entry?), this can't be that much.

Well, it still can be a lot more then the noise. And noone says that there is 99.9% efficiency. Your Avengers use quite an amount of Elirium...

Plus, you don't know how the Neutrinos are produced. Maybe it's a byproduct of the UFOs travelling through our atmosphere?

The X-Ray thing is not explained. Where do the X-Rays come from?
Xenium reactors produce neutrons, gravitons (thus the anti-gravity effect) and X-Rays IIRC. Another source of information won't hurt!

I agree. But you have to explain this in the CT.

Maybe don't write it can automaticly distinguish between noine and signal, since this sounds odd in the ears of those who know how to use a scientific detector.
Really?! Why? Could you elaborate on this please?

Well, that's the way every detector works. You have noise everywhere. If you have a Geiger counter, you have noise, if you have a radio telescope, you have noise. The thing is, to ignore the noise (i.e. set noiselevel = zero) so you get the signal and the signal only. This is something everyone has to do before using a scientific tool. Even a scale needs to be set to zero before you put something on it. So this is not an automatic distinguishing, this is merely a thing of callibration. No black magic involved. :)

??????

He may not have BUILT one, but LR-NEUDARs are a standard human base module!!! It's something the player already knows!

Oh, sorry my bad. Was pretty sure, but now I checked, and it's really there from the start.

Edited by Mad

There are some more things to be added which I forgot (X-Rays, SNUs, etc)

For example, I was pretty sure I put that calibration thing, that's why I didn't understand your comment :S

So, if you think that the structure of the CT and the scientific background of it are good, then I will just improve it and we are ready :)

So, if you think that the structure of the CT and the scientific background of it are good, then I will just improve it and we are ready :)

Well, I think you can safely start improving the bits and edges... :)

Edited by Mad

after extensive research it was found that Alien vessels produce uncommon amounts of neutrinos of all three flavors. The NEUDAR gel detects all flavors and so is unaffected by the Neutron Flavor Oscillation phenomenon.

Err...

Neutrino flavours? Please elaborate if you can. If this is based on real life facts, we should at least mention what neutrino flavours are("Getcha neutrinos here! choose from extra bouncy, super speedy or nicely neutral flavours!")

Also another reason for range limits for ranges: the dispersion of the signal. Like light, neutrinos generated from a single source should spread out the futher away from the source it gets, and as such, the neutrino intensity is the inverse of the square of the distance.

That means that the further away the source is, the morely it is to be lost in the background noise.

Aside from that, looks like a pretty good step foward.

after extensive research it was found that Alien vessels produce uncommon amounts of neutrinos of all three flavors. The NEUDAR gel detects all flavors and so is unaffected by the Neutron Flavor Oscillation phenomenon.

Err...

Neutrino flavours? Please elaborate if you can. If this is based on real life facts, we should at least mention what neutrino flavours are("Getcha neutrinos here! choose from extra bouncy, super speedy or nicely neutral flavours!")

Hehe. There are thre different types of neutrinos. But you remembered me of sth I wanted to say the whole time, but couldn't remember anymore: Maybe you just want to remove this refference, kafros? It's just too much. Plus it is not necessary.

Also another reason for range limits for ranges: the dispersion of the signal. Like light, neutrinos generated from a single source should spread out the futher away from the source it gets, and as such, the neutrino intensity is the inverse of the square of the distance.

No. Not dispersion. But true: We don't hanlde a focused beam here, so, since there is an angle between the neutrino flight paths, the distance from each neutrino to the others will increase, thus weakening the signal detected by the relativly small detectors.

Edited by Mad

I added the neutrino flavors and NFOs in order to make sure that the NEUDAR will catch EVERY AVAILABLE neutrino coming from a ufo. This desperate try reminds me of a phrase: "To make it work, grab it from the hair and pull, pull, pull...". Βγάζω από την μύγα ξίγκι! :)

Anyway, this can be deleted, or put in a "Technical information" part at the end.

Neutrinos can travel from one end of the universe to the other without losing energy or getting "out-of-track". That's why they are invisible, that's why they are a real pain in the neck. We don't detect neutrinos, we detect light created by neutrino transformations into electrons, anti-electrons, tau electrons and muon electrons. Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that, but I can't explain right now cause I'm in a haste.

After more research and thinking, it seems that the only possible solution to this is the triangulation issue proposed by Mad, and which actually is a RL issue (but for REALLY BG DISTANCES, some thousand ly or so...)

For the most part, the latest draft totally agrees with reality. Gallium and Th-doped I-oxide are substances used in real neutron detectors, the neutrino detection procedure is accurate, and I personally want to stick to it.

Just give some time for improvements and re-phrasing :)

Edited by kafros

Every ten minutes game time, each Small Radar has a 5% chance of detecting a UFO within a 300 nautical mile radius of your base.

Construction Time: 12 days

Construction Cost: $500,000

Maintenance Cost: $10,000/month

Detection Abilities:

Short: +10

Long: 0

Hyperwave: 0

Every ten minutes game time, each Large Radar has a 5% chance of detecting a UFO within a 450 nautical mile radius of your base.

Construction Time: 25 days

Construction Cost: $800,000

Maintenance Cost: $15,000/month

Detection Abilities:

Short: +20

Long: +20

Hyperwave: 0

• 3 months later...

The Short Range Neutrino Detection Array is the only reliable UFO detection system we can currently depend on. X-Corps is the first military force to implement NEUDAR technology, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and eventually counter the Alien vessels.

Records have shown that Alien crafts are capable of evading detection by conventional radars. It was speculated that the reason behind this was the very nature of the Alien construction materials and power sources. As a result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved vital to develop an effective means to detect them.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino levels. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source coincided with the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this phenomenon revealed that other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increases in neutrino detection rates during time periods that corresponded to those of reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of a neutrino detection array specifically designed to detect and track Alien vessels.

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. It consists of two means of UFO detection: two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an Iridium dish.

The RICH sensor model that is used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel™), which has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes. When highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and transformed into electric signals, which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers. Then, they become digitally encoded with time stamps and sensor information.

The Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish™, made of iridium, also detects the presence of neutrinos. When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP), analyzed and encoded into electric signals.

In the end, signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing. That way, we were able to design a hi-tech detection component, which is both space and time efficient, but also very cheap to build and maintain.

After a precise calibration, the system can guarantee successful distinguishment between noise, natural and artificial neutrino sources in close range. While there is no maximum range from which neutrinos can be detected, the SR model has an approximate maximum UFO detection range of 300Km, as triangulation does not produce precise measurements above that range.

If the target is identified as an Alien vessel, then the system automatically marks it to be tracked by the console’s hardware. The console computer processes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, which includes UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The system’s administrator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire network as a whole as well as improve detection speeds. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data that, besides being used for triangulation purposes, is also a source of data verification. Alas, no increase in range is provided, due to the close proximity of the individual components. Unfortunately, we were not able to create a system that would analyze data from NEUDARs around the globe due to timing and synchronization errors.

Because NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

"That many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detectrion...detaction... detraction... d’oh!"

-----------

Too many changes.......:wacko:

I probably have missed to explain something, so comment whatever you don't like/understand, I can't find anything wrong right now :/

Great job =b

colors as usual, orange for proposed deletions

The Short Range Neutrino Detection Array is the only reliable UFO detection system we can currently depend on. X-Corps is the first military force to implement NEUDAR technology, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and eventually counter the Alien vessels.

Records have shown that Alien crafts are capable of evading detection by conventional radars. It was speculated that the reason behind this was is the very nature of the Alien construction materials and power sources. As a result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved vital to develop an effective means to detect them.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino levels. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source coincided with the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this phenomenon revealed that other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increases in neutrino detection rates during time periods time slots, times of, periods? that corresponded to those of reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of a neutrino detection array specifically designed to detect and track Alien vessels. Why renewed? I don't think that was attempted ever before. So either leave out renewed, or make clear, that it renewed interest in developing more accurate neutrino detectors, but this time not for scientifiv purposes, but to detect UFOs

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. It consists of two means of UFO detection: two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an Iridium dish.

The RICH sensor model that is used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel™), which the gel?;) has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes (PMT). When As? highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and transformed into electric signals, which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers. Then, they become are? digitally encoded and multiplexed? with time stamps and sensor information which sensor information?.

The Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish™, made of iridium why iridium? just curious... ;), also detects the presence of neutrinos. When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created it is?. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP), analyzed and encoded into electric signals.

In the end, and they lived happily ever after ;) maybe "finally" signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing. That way, we were able to design sound odd a hi-tech detection component, which is both "not only..." rephrase? "efficient in..."? space and time efficient, but also very cheap to build and maintain.

After a precise calibration, the system can guarantee successful distinguishment between noise, natural and artificial neutrino sources in close range. While there is no maximum range from which neutrinos can be detected, the SR model has an approximate maximum UFO detection range of 300Km, as triangulation does not produce precise measurements above that range.

If the "As soon as a"? target is identified as an Alien vessel, then the system automatically marks it to be tracked by the console’s hardware. The console computer processes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, which includes including? UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The system’s administrator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire network as a whole as well as improve detection speeds. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data that, besides being used for triangulation purposes, is also a source of data verification. Please rephrase! Too many "besides, too long. I lost track reading this sentence. Several times.  <_ alas really fitting for a scientific report no increase in range is provided due to the close proximity of individual components. unfortunately we were not able create system us that would analyze data from neudars around globe timing and synchronization errors.>

• 3 weeks later...

Records have shown that Alien crafts are capable of evading detection by conventional radars. It was speculated that the reason behind this is the very nature of the Alien construction materials and power sources. As a result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved vital to develop effective means to detect them.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino levels. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source coincided with the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this phenomenon revealed that other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increases in neutrino detection rates during reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of an accurate neutrino detection array, this time specifically designed to detect and track Alien vessels.

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. The blueprint provided to X-Corps tactical command features the latest in technical and technological innovation. Compact, fast, accurate, cheap and easily maintainable. It consists of two means for UFO detection: two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an Iridium dish.

The RICH sensor model used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank, which has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes (PMT), is filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel™). As highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and transformed into electric signals, which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers. Then, they are digitally encoded and multiplexed with time stamps and technical sensor information used to calculate the possibility of wrong detections.

The Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish™, a platinum dish covered with iridium oxide, also detects the presence of neutrinos. When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP) and then encoded into electric signals. Finally, signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing.

After a precise calibration, the system can guarantee successful distinction between noise, natural and artificial neutrino sources in close range. While there is no maximum range from which neutrinos can be detected, the SR model has an approximate maximum UFO detection range of 300 Km, as triangulation does not produce precise measurements above that range.

As soon as a target is identified as an Alien vessel, the system automatically marks it to be tracked by the console’s hardware. The console computer processes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, including UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The system’s administrator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the network, as well as improve detection speeds. Additional tanks increase the chances of detecting a neutrino burst and provide additional directional data that can be used for data verification and further triangulation. Unfortunately, due to the close proximity of the individual components, no increase in range can be achieved. Moreover, we were not able to create a system allowing us to analyze data from NEUDARs around the globe due to synchronization errors and overwhelmingly large data packets.

The RICH sensor model used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank, which has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes (PMT), is filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel™). As highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and transformed into electric signals, which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers. Then, they are digitally encoded and multiplexed with time stamps and technical sensor information used to calculate the possibility of wrong detections.

The Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish™, a platinum dish covered with iridium oxide, also detects the presence of neutrinos. When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP) and then encoded into electric signals. Finally, signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing.

I didn't yet have time to read through the whole text in detail, but these two paragraphs kind of caught my eye...

I think this needs to be restructured a bit, because the first described spherical tank with photomultipliers really isn't a technical revolution at all. that's how neutrinos are detected today. okay, in much larger tanks, but still, that's only a quantitative thing, nothing revolutionary.

The dish covered with iridium oxide that can detect neutrinos, now that's a real revolutionary thing, because neutrinos interact really really rarely with any kind of matter, iridium oxide or not. that's the whole reason why the huge tanks are needed today to detect them. if X-Corps were able to create a conventional antenna which can pick up neutrinos, great, but then they wouldn't need the tanks anymore, would they?

perhaps the tanks are used to detect the neutrinos, and the antenna dish detects something else, something that would normally be too weak against the background noise, but can be followed once you have a general idea of the location of it's source (hence the necessity for the tanks)?

I think this needs to be restructured a bit, because the first described spherical tank with photomultipliers really isn't a technical revolution at all. that's how neutrinos are detected today. okay, in much larger tanks, but still, that's only a quantitative thing, nothing revolutionary.
I know. The real revolution is the NEUDAR gel, and our ability to make such an powerful neutrino detector in such a small place.

The dish covered with iridium oxide that can detect neutrinos, now that's a real revolutionary thing, because neutrinos interact really really rarely with any kind of matter, iridium oxide or not. that's the whole reason why the huge tanks are needed today to detect them. if X-Corps were able to create a conventional antenna which can pick up neutrinos, great, but then they wouldn't need the tanks anymore, would they?
Well, neutrinos interact with oxygen, water and ice, so why wouldn't it interact with something else? I chose Iridium because it is supposed to be the most dense element (heaviest? I'm not sure). Either Iridium or Osmium anyway, no1 knows for sure. In addition, iridium oxide is supposed to have higher electric capacity, although that isn't clear in the text. I am not sure how to implement it... Higher capacity doesn't mean that you produce more charge, you could just store more...

perhaps the tanks are used to detect the neutrinos, and the antenna dish detects something else, something that would normally be too weak against the background noise, but can be followed once you have a general idea of the location of it's source (hence the necessity for the tanks)?
That was the original idea (for example, it could be an X-Ray detector). I don't really remember why I changed it :P

ooohkeey... I'm having a bad headache, but I promised to have a look and I intend to keep my word... Sorry if I miss sth. :)

Very good draft! =b

Records have shown that Alien crafts are capable of evading detection by conventional radars. It was speculated that the reason behind this is the very nature of the Alien construction materials and power sources. As a result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved vital to develop effective means to detect them.

So, it was speculated. fine. what's the reason then? What I want to say is: better use present tense: "we speculate.../ we suspect..."

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino levels. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source coincided with the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this phenomenon revealed that other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increases in neutrino detection rates during reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of an accurate neutrino detection array, this time specifically designed to detect and track Alien vessels.

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. The blueprint provided to X-Corps tactical command features the latest in technical and technological innovation. Compact, fast, accurate, cheap and easily maintainable. So? finish the sentence. :) It consists of two means for UFO detection: two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an Iridium dish.

I'm not entirey happy with the "then". Maybe "The boosted signals are..."

The Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish™, a platinum dish covered with iridium oxide, also detects the presence of neutrinos. Maybe: "The second device..."? When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP) and then encoded into electric signals. Finally, signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing.

After a precise calibration, the system can guarantee successful distinction between noise, natural and artificial neutrino sources in close range. While there is no maximum range from which neutrinos can be detected, the SR model has an approximate maximum UFO detection range of 300 Km, as triangulation does not produce precise measurements above that range.

As soon as a target is identified as an Alien vessel, the system automatically marks it to be tracked by the console’s hardware. The console computer processes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, including UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The system’s administrator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the network, as well as improve detection speeds. Additional tanks increase the chances of detecting a neutrino burst and provide additional directional data that can be used for data verification and further triangulation. Unfortunately, due to the close proximity of the individual components, no increase in range can be achieved. Moreover, we were not able to create a system allowing us to analyze data from NEUDARs around the globe due to synchronization errors and overwhelmingly large data packets.

Because NEUDARs are located underground and are double "are" based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

Its been along week.. and I'm tired... and I'm saying this out of humor and in jest,

so please dont take offense...

A NEUDAR sounds like some a special LAB where aliens take abducted cats to get spayed.

A short range NEUDAR has a scapel no longer than one half inches.

and a Long Range NEUDAR uses a two inch scapel.

=b

Hey there Kelargo! Have you added any tricky easter eggs in the source code yet? :D

@ Mad: Hmm, I can't seem to find anything else right now... What do you think?

=================

*** What’s the problem? This is supposed to be a kind of introduction. “These were the problems of the past, and now we have the solution!” ***

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. The blueprint provided to X-Corps tactical command features the latest in technical and technological innovation, as it has a compact, cheap and easily maintainable design and provides us a powerful and accurate detection component. It consists of two means for UFO detection: two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an Iridium dish.

The RICH sensor model used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank, which has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes (PMT), is filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel™). As highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and transformed into electric signals, which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers. The boosted signals are digitally encoded and multiplexed with time stamps and technical sensor information used to calculate the possibility of wrong detections.

The second device also detects the presence of neutrinos. It is a platinum dish covered with iridium oxide, codenamed “Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish”. When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP) and then encoded into electric signals. Finally, signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing.

Due to the fact that NEUDARs are located underground components based on passive detection methods, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

*** What’s the problem? This is supposed to be a kind of introduction. “These were the problems of the past, and now we have the solution!” ***

well yes, it were problems of the past, but actually we haven't solved them so they are still problems. we still don't know why they are invisible to radar, so we spaculate, and not we have speculated. 

goood! I think it's more or less done. Waiting for further comments.

Just posting the LR-Neudar text in order to make my life easier. Don't pay any attention to it now, let's complete the SR-Neudar first

LONG RANGE NEUDAR FACILITY
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Long Range NEUDAR

The Long Range NEUtrino Detection ARray is a recently developed larger and more advanced version of the SR-NEUDAR that has both better detection range and detection rate by using Ultra Sensitive PMTs and an advanced supercomputer. Multiple NEUDARs can improve the detection rate of UFOs that are within range. We recommend that at least one Long Range NEUDAR should be built at every base.

When the prototype NEUDAR system was first activated, it immediately detected dozens of UFOs in the surrounding areas. However, scrambled fighters from nearby airbases did not encounter any unidentified crafts at any of the reported locations. Upon investigation, it was discovered that many of the false readings were caused by the background radiation. While an algorithm was immediately developed to filter out the noise, there was still enough static to limit the range of the NEUDAR system. In an effort to increase detection range, development of a long-range neutrino detection array was initiated.

The result of the project, the LR-NEUDAR, not only fulfilled the requirement of better detection range, but also had a faster rate of detection. However, because the LR-NEUDAR required an extremely long time to setup compared to the SR-NEUDAR, it was deemed policy to firstly build SR-NEUDARs in order to provide new bases with the UFO detection ability while the long-range version is under construction.

The NEUDAR, unlike the Short Range version, consists of only one heavy water tank. However, this tank is twenty percent larger than its counterparts in the smaller NEUDAR are. Moreover, it uses a double-layer of extremely sensitive PMTs (PhotoMultiplier Tubes) that enable the large NEUDAR to collect very precise data regarding the neutrinos that it detects. This, combined with the use of the new HELIX III supercomputer and advanced filtering algorithms, provides the Long Range NEUDAR the ability to reduce the effects of background radiation interference, enabling the detection of UFOs outside the range of the Short Range NEUDAR. The processing power of the HELIX III supercomputer, combined with the recently developed Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish™ which uses a grand variety of wavelengths to detect and identify targets, also reduces the time required to triangulate a neutrino source, increasing the rate at which these sources can be pinpointed and verified.

Unfortunately, the new sensory tanks are not only much more expensive than the light sensors used in the smaller NEUDAR, but they also have a tendency to burn out. As such, they have to be replaced regularly, resulting in higher maintenance costs. The use of a HELIX III supercomputer also adds considerably to the expense of the Long Range NEUDAR system. Nevertheless, the detection rates and range of the larger system means that it is well worth the extra cost and time required to build it.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as speed up the detection of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data which, besides being used for the calculation of the source, is also a source of data verification.

“Neutrino, Tarantino, Babylino… There must be some connection between these… It’s the Aliens work, I’m telling ya!”
- Sacked Rookie Sam Gordon, during an application test

• 3 weeks later...

Some anotations

=================

The problem is, that we still don't know the reason. That is why we still speculate, so you have to use the present form for this one. "Records have shown that Alien crafts are capable of evading detection by conventional radars. We speculate that the reason behind this is the very nature of the Alien construction materials and power sources. As a result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved vital to develop effective means to detect them."

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. The blueprint provided to X-Corps tactical command features the latest in technical and technological innovation, as it has a compact, cheap and easily maintainable design and provides us with a powerful and accurate detection component. It consists of two means for UFO detection: two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an Iridium dish.

The RICH sensor model used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank, which has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes (PMT), is filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel™). As highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and transformed into electric signals, which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers. The boosted signals are digitally encoded and multiplexed with time stamps and technical sensor information used to calculate the possibility of wrong detections.

The second device also detects the presence of neutrinos. It is a platinum dish covered with iridium oxide, codenamed “Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish”. When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP) and then encoded into electric signals. Finally, signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing.

Due to the fact that NEUDARs are located underground components and based on passive detection methods, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

This CT reads very well! :) Two comments:

(additions in blue)

Due to the fact that NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection methods, they prove to be undetectable to by external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease.
Another take:
Because NEUDARs rely on passive detection methods, they are completely invisible to external detectors- an invaluable asset for maintaining the secrecy of our operations.

On another note, why are there two means for detecting neutrinos- the RICH sensor and the iridium dish? It seems that both detect neutrinos... so isn't that redundant?

On another note, why are there two means for detecting neutrinos- the RICH sensor and the iridium dish? It seems that both detect neutrinos... so isn't that redundant?

Because the AWD model features two tanks and one dish. Have a better idea what to do with the dish? :)

Because the AWD model features two tanks and one dish. Have a better idea what to do with the dish? :)

That's a good reason for having the tanks and the dish. :P

I don't know that much about neutrinos... maybe the dish can have something to do with calculating a correction factor?

Edited by Astyanax

my main problem with the dish is that a parabolic dish only makes sense for reflecting something, focussing it on a receiver which is mounted at the center, where all reflected waves converge and are therefore amplified.

as far as I can see, our model does not even have a receiver. and neutrinos definitely can't be reflected.

so maybe the neutrinos-hitting-iridium-plate-generate-electric-current idea isn't all that bad, but it still is a fix for a problem that should be corrected at its root. btw, even if neutrinos would generate a current like the way we write it, you still couldn't determine where they are coming from with a 2-dimensional detector.

There is a problem with the dish. I think we all agree on that.

So I am calling for a brainstorm.

My two ideas would be:

- Radar is not suitable sensitive enough to use it to search for UFOs. However, if an UFO is detected, it is possible to do a neutrino guided Radar tracking of an UFO, thus allowing for a more detailed analysis of the UFO's size and a faster detection of trajectory changes. This is what the dish is used for.

- The dish is used as an exclusive sattelite uplink for communication with other tracking stations, allowing a "handover" from one radar covered area to another.

This would require a change of game mechanics. However, I don't know if the effects were too big.

One problem with radar-like operation is that the 2nd to last paragraph makes the point that the NEUDAR is completely passive- it doesn't emit any sort of radiation. Of course, we could delete that paragraph, but if we don't have to...

One problem with radar-like operation is that the 2nd to last paragraph makes the point that the NEUDAR is completely passive- it doesn't emit any sort of radiation. Of course, we could delete that paragraph, but if we don't have to...

Yes, I know, but if you would use the radar only for tracking and not for searching, benefit of passive detection would still stay and risk would still be greatly reduced in comparison to a normal radar. I don't see a bigger problem here.

I first proposed that the dish was an X-Ray detector, which detects xray radiation emitted by UFOs.

you still couldn't determine where they are coming from with a 2-dimensional detector.

Triangulation could be an explanation, although it would never work in RL.

This is how I conjectured that neutrinos could create current (which is multiplied by chevron micro-channel plates): There are 3 known types of neutrinos (and thus 3 anti-neutrinos):

1) The electron neutrino

2) The muon neutrino

3) The tau neutrino

Why are they different? Because, due to β-decay, these fermions could transform into their partner leptons. So, the electron neutrino will produce an electron :)

Neutrinos CAN interact with matter via weak interactions. Sterile neutrinos can't (they probably can only do so via the gravitational force, and that could be an explanation for the existence(?) of Dark Matter)

So, how does neutrino detection work? Heavy water, ice, oxygen, tetrachloroethylene and some other substances/elements (such as gallium, "Ga", or our super-duper neutrino gel ;) ) are scintillators.

A scintillator is a device or substance that absorbs high energy (ionizing) electromagnetic or charged particle radiation then, in response, fluoresces photons at a characteristic Stokes-shifted (longer) wavelength, releasing the previously absorbed energy.
So, we can see our high energy neutrinos via the Cherenkov radiation. We can detect solar neutrinos (of all flavours, but mainly electron ones), so it's quite easy to detect neutrinos that are created in UFOs.

I also loved the neutrino flavor oscillation idea, although some people were confused and thus it was rejected :(

I think that the current CT reads well, but anything can be adequately explained with a little more work from my side. I can't really see a problem at all here. But please, elaborate a bit more if you want, and I'll do my best to explain anything :)

Edited by kafros

the fact that it's a dish is the problem. not hte iridium, not ht electric charge. just hte shape of the damn thing. there is no reason whatsoever to give it a dish-ish form.

So passive detectin of radar waves emitted by the UFOs which are so faint that used as sole matter of detection would drown in the background, but together with neutrino detection allow for a precise pinpoitning of the UFOs position. Sounds much more plausible than the dish detecting neutrinos. at least in my ears. Sorry, no offense meant.

Looking over the AWD models (posts 13-15, 44-45), does the dish-thingy have to be a radar dish? I mean it looks somewhat ambiguous enough that we might be able to get away with calling it a viewscreen (or even the central computer). Of course, if the AWD guys decide to animate it, that could be a problem...

This idea doesn't work so well with the large NEUDAR, though.

Edited by Astyanax