XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Burbs - Beta

Popek

that basically what Rust farm does now. Problem is that explosions only ever destroy the 1st wall meaning that no matter how powerfull a blast is, it wont destroy a wall properly.

I was convinced that it worked like the original game, where a shot/blast could be powerful enough to take the 2nd wall. Well, at least there's a lot less tiles to be drawn! :)

What do you think of that idea? It will make terrain harder to destroy but it will look more realistic.

hmmm, i see pros and cons to both sides of this, but mostly pros. The armour between the 'stages' of destruction can vary yes? Because making a hole would be great if nearly every weapon could manage it, but then hacking away the rest of a wall with a laser pistol might not be too effective.

It's a lot of work, graphics wise especially I would think, but the idea has merit and would provide some interesting gameplay.

Problem is that explosions only ever destroy the 1st wall meaning that no matter how powerfull a blast is, it wont destroy a wall properly.

This was to be my counter point to the idea. it would be amazing if the extra damage done to the first stage of the wall carried over to the next wall if it was strong enough. I haven't tried this but what happens if 2 explosions go off on the same end turn on one of these wall types. I know for soldiers/bodies/items on the ground it counts as explosions in a sequence, so I'm thinking that would take care of walls.

This was to be my counter point to the idea. it would be amazing if the extra damage done to the first stage of the wall carried over to the next wall if it was strong enough. I haven't tried this but what happens if 2 explosions go off on the same end turn on one of these wall types. I know for soldiers/bodies/items on the ground it counts as explosions in a sequence, so I'm thinking that would take care of walls.

Multiple explosions do take care of walls that way, but there's no carry over of extra damage to the next wall, unfortunately. I had assumed it did (since it happens on the original game) but I was mistaken.

Plus, there's another problem with this: since explosions aren't limited by terrain, all walls on the blast radius are affected, and since they have low armor levels they all become damaged, which looks weird.

For the time being this is something that wouldn't be implemented. However, when HE block is available it is something that can be easily introduced in the future.

yes, definitely keep it on the back burner.

I know what you mean, having an entire building turn into the half state of rubble looks strange, though no less strange than the full rubble state which still has pieces floating in mid-air. Of course we can't avoid that, it's also part of the engines charm i think.

Popek and bamb,

I've just finished a major rework on the Dawn tileset. What I did was to reassigned all 'wreck' tiles to numbers from 254 upwards, in order to release some free space (about 42 tiles) so that I could add more tiles and still use Map View.

This also involved relocating a few tiles around (specifically, the yellow floor and the street lamps) to tidy up the image file a bit. I'll try to keep those changes to the minimum, in order to prevent both of us from having to redesign our maps too much (if you change a tile's number then you'll have to redo any maps using it to set them to use the new number). I think I won't change anymore the order of the tiles though.

Unfortunately, this rework has uncovered a major bug regarding usage of more than 255 tiles (Dawn now has 299), regarding how tiles are replaced when they are hit. Until this bug is fixed I won't release a new version of Dawn City because it makes the terrain a bit unplayable. However, if you want I can send you the .lua and .png file so that you can update your maps, just send me a PM with your email.

Oh, and if you have any tiles (like those barrels) that you'd like to be added to dawn, just send them to me.

Oh, and if you have any tiles (like those barrels) that you'd like to be added to dawn, just send them to me.

do you just need the graphics themselves in a sloppily assembled png file? :)

Is this bug already corrected?

bambuz that's due to me leaving a north facing wall in that spot, when we were having north/east wall issues early on. Currently if you shoot the glass, there's still another wall underneath it :P And no, I haven't fixed that yet.

I have constructed the LUA for the barrels (zipped) and they work with the png (included).

Hope this works fine...

edit: sigh it's f*** up again, I'll include everything in one zip.

The graphics have some glitches, don't remember if they were fixed.

burb_tiles.zip

Edited by bamb

I'll add those right away. I just got 2 questions:

1) 55, 60 and 120(!) might be a bit too much explosive power, especially if you are designing maps with several of those explosive barrels standing close to one another. Just a single 120 explosion is very capable of taking out a 10x10 map and several of them put together will make very large explosions.

You can test this if you have Port/Industrial terrain: the power of the barrels is 45 and they already can make a lot of damage.

2) What are those last 2 graphics? Graffiti? They look nice but I haven't been able to figure out what they are.

yeah, i think we intended smaller blasts originally. So far there are no multiple sets of barrels placed anywhere, and I'm well aware of the damage they can do so I'll never go overboard.

as for the last 2 graphics, i think they were intended as wall posters. It's Meodai's avatar/logo actually, he gave them to us. Haven't really considered where/what to do with them yet.

1) The idea with the explosive power was related to the chain reaction values, I don't remember how it went anymore. Ie that some barrels would chain react and some wouldn't. So when the hitpoint values are tweaked the explosive values can be tweaked too.

2) Yeah, graffiti.

Meodai did the graphics, kudos to him!

• 2 weeks later...
that basically what Rust farm does now. Problem is that explosions only ever destroy the 1st wall meaning that no matter how powerfull a blast is, it wont destroy a wall properly.

I was convinced that it worked like the original game, where a shot/blast could be powerful enough to take the 2nd wall. Well, at least there's a lot less tiles to be drawn! :)

It could be fixed without too much hassle I think.

It could be fixed without too much hassle I think.

If that can be added then even better :)

There's a new beta, v12. I'll put it here, pope can update the links when he gets online.

There are undoubtedly bugs, so report them. :)

(remove all previous versions of burbs from the extensions directory, they mess up. Renaming doesn't help, you have to move em out.)

The name is now Dawn Suburbs and named like that in the menu too. The download is small since it uses dawn city tiles. Thanks Hobbes and Nachtwolf!

terrain_dawnsuburbs_beta12.zip

Well now that I can finally play Dawn Suburbs, I have to say I like the looks of it. :)

I found some bugs, however. Your streetlights aren't correct. According to screen shot 2, there is a missing tile in one of your maps. Graphics garbled in response. It's hard to see, but screen shot 2, where my cursor is, is on the blank tile. :)

PS: Mind if I edit your topic title to "Dawn Suburbs"?

Edited by Kratos

Well now that I can finally play Dawn Suburbs, I have to say I like the looks of it. :)

I found some bugs, however. Your streetlights aren't correct. According to screen shot 2, there is a missing tile in one of your maps. Graphics garbled in response. It's hard to see, but screen shot 2, where my cursor is, is on the blank tile. :)

Good catch! Thanks! We will fix that building (and others that have the same tile).

Yeah, we have to work on the streetlights, the tiles moved around when dawn city was changed and the maps are not entirely right currently... :)

There's a new beta, v12. I'll put it here, pope can update the links when he gets online.

There are undoubtedly bugs, so report them. :)

(remove all previous versions of burbs from the extensions directory, they mess up. Renaming doesn't help, you have to move em out.)

The name is now Dawn Suburbs and named like that in the menu too. The download is small since it uses dawn city tiles. Thanks Hobbes and Nachtwolf!

yeah, there's still numerous invalid tiles in v12 bambuz, that's why I didn't make a post regarding it last night.

Since it will still crash ufo2000 I didn't want to make it available.

feel free to add a subtitle, dawn suburbs isnt really supposed to be the set name, it was due to the way ufo2000 reads information from folder names.

Edited by Popek

v13, the lucky number.

I found a couple more black spots. I hope there aren't any anymore.

Included are .area files that contain all the buildings (2 areas for each: small buildings, big buildings, roads. And one example generated 6x6 map.) You can try loading up these and try if it crashes, pope (or someone else whose ufo2000 crashes with bad tiles, as mine doesn't). Setting exploration level 2 in the rules section helps to spot errors, found out this. :)

terrain_dawnsuburbs_beta13.zip

Just had a look at version 13, no black spots found but I spotted a few misplaced tiles. Check the pics.

- On 25 it seems that there's a wall missing there?

- On 22 there's already a brick corner available

- I'm not sure if you wanted to put the bush fences (and it's a case of wrong tiles) on those locations on 23 and 24. It looks ugly this way though

snapshot_25.png

snapshot_24.png

snapshot_23.png

snapshot_22.png

Edited by Hobbes

Good spotting, hobbes!

-The building 25 missing wall had a partially broken wall but since they are removed (took a lot of trouble to find why it crashed since the graphic in the png was fine!) from the tileset lua, I had to put a completely broken one in. It could be better with an untouched wall.

-The brick corners can and probably will be changed..

-The broken bushes are supposed to be vines and plant decoration on the balconies. But it looks like something fishy happened there, the unbroken bush fences are in a bit of a weird place.

Thanks for the feedback.

the bushes on the mansion ledges are as intended. I was excersizing the creative possibilities of the tileset.

the grey wall corners were used on brick walls as they were the only non clashing option as the brick walls don't have any corner tiles, and I just figured they looked more robust that way.

though that missing wall, yeah bambuz... tsk tsk :D

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been some time since we've mentioned anything new in the 'Burbs' department

so here's a few more replays accumulated over the past months. Don't get to play as often as we'd like

10,000 points, exploration 0, UFO2k full weaponset

I lose most of the time.

comments are very appreciated

(Using rapidshare to host as zip is 10mb)

http://rapidshare.com/files/116900398/Burb...eplays.zip.html

• 6 months later...

Wow, this map seems very cool.

Unfortunately it's difficult to convice anyone in the server chat to download and install a new map. :(

It would be nice if the game client would automatically download missing maps from the opponent while in the mission planner lobby (like in warcraft 3).

• 2 months later...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/403/screencap110he2.jpg

anyone able to playtest at all and give input.

we're nearly at 100 tiles, and about to call it complete after cleaning up some gameplay issues with some tiles.

• 1 year later...
For some reason I can't get terrain-dawnsuburbs-beta15 to work on linux although it works fine in Windows... Some case sensitivity issue? In burbs' main lua it's all lowercase as are all the files and all the files in dawn city as well. Yet terrain-dawn-city works fine, and burbs uses those tiles. Edited by bamb

For some reason I can't get terrain-dawnsuburbs-beta15 to work on linux although it works fine in Windows... Some case sensitivity issue? In burbs' main lua it's all lowercase as are all the files and all the files in dawn city as well. Yet terrain-dawn-city works fine, and burbs uses those tiles.

Since some time ago, ufo2000 enforces case sensitivity on windows too, so honting down these issues should be easier.

Ok, isolated the bug a little better:

It seems to try to load the dawn-suburbs earlier than the dawn tileset (which is loaded together with dawn-city).

So it's some alphabet order issue?

Yet they should be correctly in the alphabet.

I even changed it to

terrain-dawn-suburbs-beta15

which contains

zzdawn-suburbs.lua

the dawn city is

terrain-dawn-city

which contains

aadawntileset.lua

(and zzdawncitygenerator.lua)

So both the dawn city directory and tileset lua filename and tileset name should be before the dawn suburbs that tries to use them.

init_scripts.zip

Edited by bamb

# 2010-04-05 20:29:54 [8294] : Loading extension './extensions/terrain-xbase+'.

AddXcomTerrain: 'XBase+' terrain - OK, 23 maps, crc32 = 229B38AA

# 2010-04-05 20:29:54 [8294] : Loading extension './extensions/terrain-dawn-suburbs-beta15'.

AddXcomTerrain: 'Dawn Suburbs' terrain - FAILED (can't locate 'dawn', 'dawn' or 'dawn')

# 2010-04-05 20:29:55 [8294] : Loading extension './extensions/unit-chameleon'.

AddEquipment: 'Original X-Com Weapon Set', crc32 = EC2FAE28

# 2010-04-05 20:29:57 [8294] : Loading extension './extensions/terrain-dawn-city'.

Tileset 'destroyed' initialized, 1 tiles, crc32 = 14F0FD90

Tileset 'dawn' initialized, 299 tiles, crc32 = A8A1D5AC

UFO2000 tileset: destroyed

UFO2000 tileset: dawn

AddXcomTerrain: 'Dawn City Beta' terrain - OK, 100 maps, crc32 = C3C9EF42

# 2010-04-05 20:29:58 [8294] : Loading extension './extensions/weapons-galactic'.