XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Abilities For Existing Aliens!

Ok, here is a dedicated topic well, dedicated to thinking up new abilities for existing aliens (more for organizational purposes)

so far we have (from various threads, all here in the same place for the first time!)

1.Sillacoids can tunnel through rock, walls, etc.

2. Chryssalids can jump and knock flying targets out of the air (such as your men in flight armor)

3. Reapers can act intelligently!!!

4. Celatids can melt through armor (like entropy gun from apoc, but it doesn't destroy weapons.)

Think of more.

Mutons should have the ability (or smarts) to heal one another...either it by KIT they have especially made for their genetics or by some power they have...of course limit the power or even the amount of kits they can carry...Mutons are scary mothers...

How about one of them being able to look like a human, or impersinate one? EH!?!

How about one of them being able to look like a human, or impersinate one?  EH!?!

Damn Good Suggestion...

maybe a zombified soldier (hit by chrysalid) could still look like a soldier instead of a zombie.

or maybe aliens could grab civilian bodies and disguise themselves with them (no idea how they would really do it :P but it's just a game)

Edited by SupSuper

Didn't you ever see men in black ss? The bug squeezed his 14foot form into a 6 foor southern hick! If he can do it, a sectoid certainly can! :D

i stand corrected.

if aliens in x-com could do what aliens in MiB could do, then we'd really be in trouble ^_^

just an idea not sure if it could be used,

Aliens could knock out humans, pick them up and use them as "human" shields.

same could apply for the humans

or aliens could take Hostages and use them as a wall to hide behind.

certain aliens could attach themselves to ceilings and ambush agents

these might be silly but they could inspire better ones

just an idea not sure if it could be used,

Aliens could knock out humans, pick them up and use them as "human" shields.

same could apply for the humans

or aliens could take Hostages and use them as a wall to hide behind.

certain aliens could attach themselves to ceilings and ambush agents

these might be silly but they could inspire better ones

Here's a crazy suggestion:

The scenario is your in a terror mission with only a couple of aliens left. The alien gets desperate so he/she grabs a civilian and sticks a gun to the civilians head (in hopes of escaping or fooling the soldiers). Then you have to try to shoot him without killing the alien (oh course). If it happens in movies (Signs) then why can't it happen in a game?

And another question: are there FEMALE aliens? Where are they? If this was already dicussed please show me where! :D

We never see female aliens. I would imagine that mutons come from somewhere though :naughty:

Well, I would kill the civie and the alien and take the penalty. "What do you mean you didn't think that grenade wouldn't kill the civilian?" "It didn't, he was severly wounded and died of critical wounds a turn later!" :D

Humans using aliens for shields probably wouldn't work (unless done with a commander or something) because the aliens don't seem to give a damn about their soldiers.

Well, I would kill the civie and the alien and take the penalty. "What do you mean you didn't think that grenade wouldn't kill the civilian?" "It didn't, he was severly wounded and died of critical wounds a turn later!" :D

I laughed so hard when I read that, that my neighbor came over and asked "WHAT'S SO DAMN FUNNY!!!??!! I'M TRYING TO SLEEP!" Why she sleep during the day, I don't know, but man that was good! :LOL:

Edited by commander

The scenario is your in a terror mission with only one of the aliens left. The alien gets desperate panics and sticks its plasma pistol in it's mouth and attempts to commit suicide.

could add new game play element where soldiers/aliens whom panic run risk of commiting suicide :devillaugh:

Edited by RustedSoul

The scenario is your in a terror mission with only one of the aliens left.  The alien gets desperate panics and sticks its plasma pistol in it's mouth and attempts to commit suicide.

could add new game play element where soldiers/aliens whom panic run risk of commiting suicide  :devillaugh:

what do we need that for? my soldiers already commit suicide when they panic / berserk with a "big gun" on their hands :P

i would like the idea of aliens using civilians for cover, but i think none of the sides actually cares enough about the civilian to NOT kill it :devillaugh: same for x-com soldiers using aliens for cover.

"Why the heck did you hit that alien with a corpse, soldier?" "It was the only thing I had nearby, sir." "Now you explain to the commander how that stunned alien has got a corpse splattered all over him."

Edited by SupSuper

Should be much higher penalties for dead civies IMO, it's too easy to just kill them all and stop the Chrissilids multiplying.

I would like it if they shot themselves in the head and stuff, remember that is exactly what a commander does if a soldier gets into a control room without stunning him. Plus if it was done properly ( with enough gore :D ) then it would be very dramatic. Anyone who has played The Thing will know exactly what I am talking about.

Edited by Jim69

Ethereals should be immune against projectile weapons - they are only woving robes, aren't they?

Something general (sorry, I'm new): whats with different damage-types (like in Ufo: Aftermath: plasma, laser, projectile etc.)?

Another general thing: In addition to the standard "kill-everthing-which's-eyes-are-bigger-than-it's-hands"-mission there should be special ones (to topic) like "stop Chrysalid invasion". You have to kill all Chrysalids (and not the other ones) and you are "allowed" to kill civilists to be on the save side that no chrysalid seed survives in this area.

Something general (sorry, I'm new): whats with different damage-types (like in Ufo: Aftermath: plasma, laser, projectile etc.)?

^_^ It seems like their immune anyways. It apears that the cyberdiscs can take as many rifle shots as it wants, but it can't take more than 2 plasma shots. ^_^

Yes, certain enemies have resistances to certain damage types. For instance, you could hit a sectopod with a heavy plasma until you turn blue but barring a lucky shot, the sectopod will still be standing. Now shoot that same sectopod with a heavy laser and he will go down within a 3 shots. Sectopods are resistant to plasma, but vlunerable to lasers.

On the topic of suicide, soldiers don't commit suicide when they panic. They just take out their teammates.

On te topic of etherals, maybe they have a constant telekintic field which stops most projectiles.

One other ability might be passing through walls and other obstacles.

On the topic of suicide, soldiers don't commit suicide when they panic. They just take out their teammates.

On te topic of etherals, maybe they have a constant telekintic field which stops most projectiles.

soldiers DO commit suicide when they have a rocket launcher in hand, go beserk, and shoot a nearby wall! <_< It happens, trust me.... DUMB ROOKIES!!! :cussing:

soldiers DO commit suicide when they have a rocket launcher in hand, go beserk, and shoot a nearby wall! :cussing:

Blaster Bombs can be far more dramatic, specially when the panicked rookie is in the craft with all the other guys. trust me, i've seen it, and it's everything... but pretty :P

i always felt that beserk/panic ends up been more like involuntary manslaugther

*edit errr changed the pic, after some study it looked kind of like a probe :unsure:

Greaysuicide2.JPG

Edited by RustedSoul

• 3 months later...

Reapers can rip apart a section of a wall.

I was playing on Superhuman and there was one alien left and I had one soldier left. I found the alien and it was a reaper. My soldier thinking fast ran towrads a store and stood 2 spaces away from the door watching the reaper run back anfd forth while she threw grenades at it.. It seemed too easy, but the 4 civies in the shop liked watched my soldier kick its butt

• 3 months later...

regarding other species, I'd like to see snakemen having a close-combat attack, like a venomous bite or somethin, that creates a fatal wound, so the soldier dies if not treated properly. in order to heal snakeman bites, you must research both corpses and living specimen.

:uhoh: :fang:

Edited by scorps04

How about using different colours for the same race to signify the different abilities. For instance, on beginner level you only ever see the standard orange ethereal, but on superhuman, you can see the elite ethereal squad, who just happen to change into a red uniform. These guys make the standard aliens look like sectoids; maybe up their stats a bit. This could go through all the races - elite reaper/cyberdisc guard for the SAS sectoid/floaters? And of course, the genetically engineered mutons, guarded by their standard companions. Hmm, that would make bases that bit harder to assault - maybe the commander is always a uber soldier, or its guard is. This would make the veteran player know they are dealing with a new threat, and the rookie will just think a new race/breed etc. I know this is a bit fuzzy, but I could flesh it out if you want. What do you think?

• 1 month later...

On the regeneration note I think it might be right up the crystalid's alley-- more a +hp per turn type deal. The fact that they can take a hit and keep on licking would make them all the scarier.

More of interest to me is the Ethereals. They are supposed to be the big baddies, so why not make them rarer and more powerful rather than nearly dime a dozen come the end of the game like the original Xcom did. I'd rather see a ship full of them once in a while and go "oh poop" than to end up with the same ho-hum over again. Some possible thoughts on ways to make them alittle more intimidating:

- Their cloaks could be created with a sensor deflecting or absorbing material to make them invisible to most forms of electronic detection.

- More psi powers if that hasn't already been talked about and tossed out. Perhapse a straight-out stun or a SEP field (the reference here is to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the theory works that the machine (psi power?) convinces all bistandards that the object in question is Somebody Elses Problem, so their eyes are automaticaly averted and they don't actualy see the object-- invisibility via visual neglect). Course, with those two in play it would mean that a un-psi trained unit could be destroyed by just a small ship of Ethereals... but I'm sort of mean spirited like that.

Anyway, food for thought,

-NT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alex the greater

you mentoned sectoid probe is that what i think that is?

oh and give the etherials telakenesis so thay can throw cars

Edited by alex the greater

How about creating an alien that can tunnel underground? You could just imagine thinking that you've cleared the area only to have an alien pop up behind your guys and take out half the squad!

Make sure to bring motion detectors! :D

• 3 weeks later...