XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Choose Your Favorite Weapon!

Cmdr. Luke

What is your favorite weapon in the game and why?  

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My personal favorite is the Heavy Plasma. It's fun to shoot, and with 115 damage per shot, you've got a leathal weapon on your hands.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think of the damage you can do with the mind probe :LOL:

tough one though, at the start my favorites are AC and HC (once I still even took some of those to Mars :LOL: ), later on it's the laser rifle, and in the end the heavy plasma, although I never abandon the laser rifle, I always keep some men with that weapon.

Blaster launcher and Psi Amp are fun too, but I try to limit their use as it really makes everything too easy...

I have a 3 way tie between heavy plasmas, blaster launchers, and heavy lasers.
HPs because they are so powerful, and I like their looks (especially when in your men's hands.

Bl because, as SS said, you gotta love the sheer destruction.

And Heavy laser becuase of its nice accuracy, high damage, and lack of ammo restrictions. (It is really nice with xcomutil)

Autocannons and laser rifles are runners up.

"Just think of the damage you can do with the mind probe :LOL: "

Hey, I didn't know what else to think of... what did you want the rocket launcher? That's obselete because of the blaster launcher, but they are all give the game variety. Seriously, would the game be fun without the choice of the mind probe? :wacko:

:LOL: MAN YOUR NAUGHTY!!! :naughty: I'd like to get under the Ethereal cloak!!!! :naughty: Maybe I could read his head... uh... mind!

Ok Stewart, you got me. I know I should of put, oh I don't know.... high explosives on there or the heavy laser rifle on there instead of the mind probe. But at least I now know what other people like, and I can see other views on the game, right? :unsure: ...... right! :D

I like using the Psi-Amp to line up the aliens so I can kill 3 in one auto shot (or a grenade). I normally use it so that my commander can rack up his # of kills. I never knew it could be so much fun to "lead" aliens to their death! :devillaugh:

[quote name='commander' date='Oct 8 2003, 11:50 PM']Ok Stewart, you got me.  I know I should of put, oh I don't know.... high explosives on there or the heavy laser rifle on there instead of the mind probe.  But at least I now know what other people like, and I can see other views on the game, right? :unsure: ...... right!  :D[/quote]
High Explosive are the best "Human" Weapon vs Cyberdisks; works every time.

Rocket Launcher is my favorite human (not researched) weapon. load it up with some Large Missiles (if that's their name, middle missile on the UFOpedia) and you can cause some real damage :D

How often do people use tanks anyways? :huh: I really never used them that much. I just used them for fun once in a while. I always thought that 4 soldiers could do more damage than one tank. -_-

Well, the Rocket tank surely can dish out some damage, but what's more important: in the beginning it's the only thing that can TAKE some damage, so I use it to scout out the more dangerous places (like those barns in the farmland)

Why is it that sometimes you can miss, yes that's right MISS with your blaster launcher? Is it the more number of checkpoints the less accurate the shot is? Or what? It's not when I don't have a clear path, it just happens sometimes eh? <_<

[quote name='commander' date='Oct 17 2003, 10:29 AM']Why is it that sometimes you can miss, yes that's right MISS with your blaster launcher?  Is it the more number of checkpoints the less accurate the shot is?  Or what?  It's not when I don't have a clear path, it just happens sometimes eh? <_<[/quote]
well, taking in account the bomb only blows up on contact (collides with something) and u might've not set the direction right with the waypoints, that's one way. another way is with reaction shots :P

i love the waypoint system, thus why i always leave in the craft a soldier with a Blaster Launcher for emergencies. example: on a terror site one of my soldiers spots a Cyberdisk that might hit him but doesn't have enough TUs to deal with it. i just put the soldier as away from the cyberdisk as he can and then, with some fancy waypoint setting, shoot a Blaster Bomb from the craft right into the target :)

[quote name='commander' date='Oct 16 2003, 04:41 PM']How often do people use tanks anyways?  :huh: I really never used them that much.  I just used them for fun once in a while.  I always thought that 4 soldiers could do more damage than one tank. -_-[/quote]
Tanks can't be mind controled that's a big one. And like J says theyre the only thing early on that might take a shot. When I use tanks (early on) I use them in pairs (one cannon one rocket) The rocket tank makes the kills while the cannon tank makes paths in the terrain.

The way you guys play (and if tanks could move up in the ranks) then a tank might be your commander! :D They are fun to use though

• 2 weeks later...
I personally love the laser rifle, for the simple fact it doesn't need ammo, and i like to go full auto (which means I can't use the heavy laser). The heavy plasma is cool, but it uses ammo which gets rare sometimes, I hate running out of ammo at those critical moments. So laser rifle all the way, especially at the start of the game. Another bonus is that laser rifles are very efficient against Cyberdiscs, if I recall correctly (or was that Sectopods?).

That was sectopods. Lasers are the best weapons to kill sectopods. Lasers are pretty good against everything. Hmm, maby we should make an enemy resistant to lasers in xenocide? V1 obviously, but it would spice up the game because you would need to bring other weapons in addition to lasers/plasma.

LASER BABY!!!

*drools on laser rifle*

Nothing like cooking your prey while killing them :D

Heavy laser is supposed to suck if you look at the stats, but if you like it, by all means take it... Its like the last thing i research unless i'm making laser cannons.

[quote name='Jenny' date='Nov 2 2003, 07:36 PM']I'd use heavy laser if it had an auto fire option.[/quote]
I would too, but then it would cost 100tu's for one auto shot probobly! ^_^

For once Facehugger forgot to mention he was using xcomutil, which improves the accuracy :blink:
^_^

in TFTD xcomutil gives the heavy gauss an auto-fire option, and I immediately had a new favourite weapon there :D (xcomutil also adds unlimited ammo :) ) Edited by j'ordos

What? Ohh no! :D

Seriously though, even without xcomutil, I love the heavy laser. :)

And yes, the xcomutil heavy gauss is one of the best weapons in the game, usurping the sonic cannon. ;) Without xcomutil though, the heavy gauss isn't even worth the effort to fire it. (looks pretty cool though.)

[quote name='insie' date='Nov 6 2003, 10:18 PM']Blaster Launcher cause i remembered when me and my friend had a few thousands of encouters behind us, we just equipped them and blew up the whole map and blew holes in the ships :P

Never used Laser weapons :/[/quote]
Laser weapons totally kick donkey at the start of the game. I switch to plasma when it becomes widely available, and because it works better against Mutons and the like.

[quote name='insie' date='Nov 6 2003, 10:30 PM']I rather use my trusted rifle then a laser weapon! Killed my first sectoid with it 8 years ago...It's more then just a weapon now to me! Can never be replaced. Until i have discovered Heavy Plasma that is.[/quote]
Standard rifles are just glorified peashooters really. The accuracy is horrible, and they don't do much damage at all. Plus, they require ammo. Lasers are better in every way.

Thomas says:
stop quoting me!

Nah. :P

[quote name='insie' date='Nov 6 2003, 10:35 PM']:P Don't be dissin' the rifles, They are effective its just that the Cyberdiscs are overpowered !

And yes a rifle clip cost 200 dollars? so that makes alot of difference!!!!!!

And stop pasting the stuff im saying on MSN Jen xD[/quote]
Yeah, ok. A laser rifle costs $20,000 to manufacture. A standard rifle costs $3,000, and a clip for it $200.

However, if equipping my soldier with a laser rifle will increase his chances on the battlefield (and it most definitely will), then I am willing to pay that extra money. Especially considering a new (untrained) soldier will cost me $40,000 (that's 2 laser rifles).

As for the cyberdiscs, you shouldn't be going up against them with peash.. rifles in the first place. :P

Yes but im dutch and we are known to be cheap so i rather attack with a rifle, even if it takes me 2 clips to take one disc down.

And about that not going up against discs i agree...

But i only got rifles with me onboard :( Only thing i buy in the beginning alongside grenades :)

[quote name='Jenny' date='Nov 6 2003, 03:39 PM'][quote name='insie' date='Nov 6 2003, 10:35 PM'] :P Don't be dissin' the rifles, They are effective its just that the Cyberdiscs are overpowered !

And yes a rifle clip cost 200 dollars? so that makes alot of difference!!!!!!

And stop pasting the stuff im saying on MSN Jen xD[/quote]
Yeah, ok. A laser rifle costs $20,000 to manufacture. A standard rifle costs $3,000, and a clip for it $200.

However, if equipping my soldier with a laser rifle will increase his chances on the battlefield (and it most definitely will), then I am willing to pay that extra money. Especially considering a new (untrained) soldier will cost me $40,000 (that's 2 laser rifles).

As for the cyberdiscs, you shouldn't be going up against them with peash.. rifles in the first place. :P [/quote]
You are all greedy you know that? I make money the old fashion way, by killing and looting! :D