XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Choose Your Favorite Weapon!

Cmdr. Luke

What is your favorite weapon in the game and why?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I chose the alien grenade. While I don't use grenades that often (proximity grenades tend to get used the most on UFO stakeout missions, the 'ol guarding the door routine that they're so perfect for), when I do, there's something really satisfying when your able to make the alien grenade your new standard for your troops. Sometimes in the beginning of the game, I find these before the heavy plasmas, so its nice to get the extra explosive power in your hands just prior to those weapons.

Not too shabby either for some mini-demolitions work when you don't want to waste blaster bombs or high explosives (overkill in some situations i.e. terror sites).

My next favorites...

Like a few others have mentioned, I tend to hold onto some laser weapons. Not only is their lack of ammo restrictions wonderful, but sometimes a job simply requires lasers. And they make good suppliments to any team. (yep, I even keep a laser pistol or two around as well). I generally keep 4-6 laser weapons of various kinds on each Avenger I have troops on - at least 1 pistol, 1 heavy, and the rest laser rifles.

With plasma weapons, of course I love the heavy plasma, but I don't equip everyone with it. Heavy's serve as my reserve punch along with my explosives, so generally I fall back to having a few extra pistols as well as the rifles. With the rifles, I just like their look, they're asthetics so to speak. Nice when you don't want heavies weighing you down too but you want that little extra stopping power than the pistol offers.

About tanks, they're good for what others have said, can't be MC'd for one major point, and secondary to that they make the best scouts since they can take a few hits.

Lastly, I like psi-amps. Great for training purposes and its what I use them for primarily (gotta love lining those aliens up to taste your doom :))

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NKF raises another good point, and one I'd already been following and that's going in with something a little less super duper, and simply taking those things right off the aliens :)

Its one major reason why I don't go more than half my people with plasma weapons. I can get tons off any mission. Besides, I need to weigh in other needs like medkits amps and nades. Also as noted, with laser weapons, you only need take up one piece of equipment, not two with one being a clip.

Well call me a n00b only having the full version for about a month, wich i had to down load because i could not get it legit :unsure: BUT i found i just equip every one with a heavy plasma, but i do have a soft spot for AC's with HE rounds and heavy armour, and the team sniper may get a HL or a HC on rare missions they get a rokkit luancha, SOrry ill get to the point i start by getin lassers and selling the Plasma Rifles and stock pileing HP and replacing nades wid alien nades and then getin smurf aromour wich looks kool but latter in game this is what i found...

Laser= :laser:

HPlasma= :explode: :plasma:

You probably haven't wiped out an entire base with one before. ;) Try it sometime for fun. It's not a powerful weapon - it's not meant to be. But if used right it can be a very effective weapon.

But I'm biased. I didn't like it at first, but since I was able to pull off some fantastic victories with the laser pistol (it started with standard pistols, actually), I've come to rather enjoy it.

Just another pro-autocannon comment: combine it with a power suit and it turns into a great close-combat weapon. You won't feel the backlash from explosive rounds and who cares about accuracy at such short ranges? You may feel a bit from direct hits from autocannon HE shells, but even so the damage will be nothing compared to the heavy cannon, which can pack a punch.

- NKF

Reply was a long time coming--my bad. So, you can actually blow HEs in your face without taking too much/if any damage? Well, I'll always be an AC fan, but I kind of had to ditch the weapon in favor of a no-mag laser rifle to accomodate the growth of my Avenger-based squad (and the blasted 80-item limit). I'll have to refit some guys to try this out...

Yea, that 80 item limit doohicky does sucketh don'teth? :)

I think I may start to shift my guy's armorment around and put more than half with laser weapons, that way I can still have my squad with a taste of plasma, a taste of rocketage, blaster bombage & AC. Its the clips that always get me, and of course that coupled with items I need too like amps (the more guys that have the ability, the more I'm tempted to arm everyone with it heh). With things like medkits, I don't bring much more than a half dozen - 3 between two guys. Course another option for me here too could be I could go with having 4 HWPs on my Avenger, then I've only got 10 guys to manage over 14 w/3 HWPs.

Its certainly tough to weigh some things though when you want to give everyone a couple grenades for instance. Also with some kinds of weapons, its hard to know how long and drawn out you expect an engagement to be to know how much ammo to bring (ok, not so much with plasma weapons, but blaster bombs come to mind, HC ammo, rifle clips etc.).

Heh I'm always adjusting and readjusting my loadouts :) Damn item limits :boohoo:

Well, I do like to limit certain vessels with smaller squads so that they can play with the bigger guns. Extra magazines for the cannon weapons is a must. The item limit can be restricting at times, but thankfully, it's not too ridiculous. Oh, wait--who am I kidding? It's ridiculous! :) It's definitely not good when you're deathly afraid of having your base attacked simply because your weapons stockpiles suddenly vanish in favor of empty plasma rifles. That shouldn't be something you have to worry about. When aliens attack, you should have to concentrate on fighting them back, not managing stocks. ;) Maybe a patch that imports a kind of logistic system that only allows the game to issue your soldiers loaded weapons would help that a bit...

Maybe a patch that imports a kind of logistic system that only allows the game to issue your soldiers loaded weapons would help that a bit...

If nothing else, an algorythm that selected weapons types first that were either explosive (and can be thrown from the hand like grenades etc.) and anything that doesn't require ammo first (i.e. lasers before HC for instance). I just wished that equipment was not lumped into the same item limit as weapons or that they didn't get chosen as pickable before you had weapons dished out.

Oh, I imagine a third party utility that works similarly to XComutil, which processes data in between the Geoscape and Battlescape segments wouldn't be too far out of our grasp.

I'm a poor programmer at best, but I can envision a rough idea of how such a program might work.

The first thing to do is identify the battle as a base attack as soon as the game transitions from the Geoscape to the Battlescape.

Then you need to remove all the items from the battlescape that belong to you and put them back in actual storage. This should be simple enough. All items that point to X-Com owned units and all items that are on the ground will be owned by you. The aliens will all be carrying their equipment - so we can leave these alone.

Next, using some sort of clever list of weapon priorities or whatnot (can be very flexible here - perhaps even allow players to provide a custom priority list), to repopulate the weapon slots you'd removed earlier with a new weapon set, naturally drawing equipment out from that base's storage. Of course, some clever programming will be needed to properly rearm the soldiers with the new equipment set. Perhaps even make up some clever auto-arming thingy such as the one used in XComutil.

Then just let the battlescape mission start as normal and you'll have a base filled with all the weapons you need.

This whole program would be run every time the game switched between the Geoscape and the Battlescape by putting one line into the game's batch file.

---

Easier said than done, right?

- NKF

Yeah, well, we all do, but it's damage is pretty insignificant in superhuman, to be effective against anything but Sectoids and floaters... and they do require more than one shot... :huh:

Re: Base defense loadout.

We need to assign each soldier an individual equipment, that's all there is to it IMHO.

Oh, I imagine a third party utility that works similarly to XComutil, which processes data in between the Geoscape and Battlescape segments wouldn't be too far out of our grasp.

I'm a poor programmer at best, but I can envision a rough idea of how such a program might work.

The first thing to do is identify the battle as a base attack as soon as the game transitions from the Geoscape to the Battlescape.

Then you need to remove all the items from the battlescape that belong to you and put them back in actual storage. This should be simple enough. All items that point to X-Com owned units and all items that are on the ground will be owned by you. The aliens will all be carrying their equipment - so we can leave these alone.

Next, using some sort of clever list of weapon priorities or whatnot (can be very flexible here - perhaps even allow players to provide a custom priority list), to repopulate the weapon slots you'd removed earlier with a new weapon set, naturally drawing equipment out from that base's storage. Of course, some clever programming will be needed to properly rearm the soldiers with the new equipment set. Perhaps even make up some clever auto-arming thingy such as the one used in XComutil.

Then just let the battlescape mission start as normal and you'll have a base filled with all the weapons you need.

This whole program would be run every time the game switched between the Geoscape and the Battlescape by putting one line into the game's batch file.

---

Easier said than done, right?

- NKF

Sounds a tad complicated, but I see where you're going. Any idea how this couple be pulled off in practice? It'd literally be a lifesaver.

Yes, but the idea for this one is to get rid of the problems of overstocking in a base attack. XComutil just attempts to auto-equip soldiers with a predefined set of equipment.

Similar idea, but somewhat different outcomes. XComutil will have everyone equipped with a certain weapon set, the idea of this one is to adjust the quantity of the objects in a base defence mission so that they're at reasonable amounts and you don't end up with a couple hundred heavy plasmas.

I'd like to get a program like this started myself, but I still need to understand how the files work. Of course, I'm sure some bright people out there might give it a try.

- NKF

Yeah no shuckeroonies that is soooooo anoying, first time my base was invaded i had nothin but stun rods, heavy explosives and missiles and i had to reload my game and build a stock pile of lasser rifles to beat my enamy, but i reckon equiping all my guys individual would bethe best play :rolleyes:

Who are you trying to kid? We're just waiting for the first version! :)

Heck, I don't know--maybe we can bother--er, I mean, convince somebody with a good deal of technical knowledge to get this idea running. I'd love to help, but I'm that very same guy who couldn't figure out how to swap the game's battlescape music with his own, so scratch. :(

Guest alex the greater

well a modern cpu wouldent have troobles handleing larege amounts of items

and maby you clould make an algorithem that says any weppon whithout ammo or that isint reaserched is packed away in a crate

Makes sense, but I think if this much work is going into something like this down the line, might as well go for equipping your soldiers and have that info be saved so that they always have that loadout (regardless of item limits at the base, and regardless of where you transfer them, they always have that). That way if there's room to, you can add supplementary things like medkits and amps.

In the meantime though, I'd be happy if the limit was lifted (and even if it couldn't be), and I was free to scroll through my entire stores and pick things out myself. The whole thing to me is about "Hey, if I'm the commander, I should be assigning gear, HWPs etc.", not the the AI.

How many times will we have to say it -_-...

The 80 items limit was primarily a RAM problem, ten years ago it had to run on computers that had ONE or TWO megs RAM...

Of course, that comlpetely ridiculus notion would go off as soon as we program it on a modern computer...

Then again, the simple fact of remembering the soldier's equipment would lift much of the tedious burden of late games... ^_^

Guest alex the greater
well any whay an item shouldent take up much memory its just a small tag saying what item and whare Edited by alex the greater

And if you bother to look, you'll see that all those guns that you couldn't pick up were on the Second floor of the Storage rooms.

Believe me on this. All the storages will have a pile of any unequipped weapons in the middle of each of the four rooms. Nice place to hide if you manage to find plenty of ammo.

Everything you couldn't equip in the equip screen will go there.

If you've only got a few soldiers left, you can choose to hole up in one of the storerooms and the normal sized aliens will eventually come upstairs to find you.

- NKF

Because UFO 1.4ce is just a port of the original version with only a few minor changes. So, what we get is the old game, bugs and all, but one that can work on more modern machines.

- NKF

Heh, no one else likes the alien grenade? aw shucks :)

Even though I'm not as grenade happy as I am with proximities, I suppose its mainly an issue of security for me...its just nice to have if you ever need it. Think I'm gonna play a quick battlescape session and reaquaint myself with my seldom used explosives. I miss 'em now that I've got psi heh.

I like grenades too and use them a lot especially in tftd. Rocket launcher + large rocket is still my favourite weapon though :)

• 9 months later...

In the beginning I just loved Heavy Plasma, I even used two at the same time (I know, that doesn't give you any advantage). But since then I've learned that I either had to change my tactics or start carrying lots of clips since even a Heavy Plasma runs out rather quick if you use it constantly on full auto. Deciding that changing my tactics was the last thing I would do, I started looking for a replacement. My eyes fell on the laser rifle. It's accurate, cheap, fast to get, reasonably powerful and can keep going forever. I now use it as my standard weapon, using it not only for blasting aliens but also for making sure they can't hide, all using full auto (I almost never use a different firing mode).

The result is usually something like this.

Civvie:,, You sure its safe?" X-com officer:,,I'm sure, there's nothing left."

Civvie walks to his house with the officer:,, What happened here?!"

,,Several thousand laserblasts fired on full auto. You've got to admit, if we had to use guns with ammo, we would have never been able to sweep the area so easily."

In short, the battlefield looks like I dropped a nuke to level entire buildings instead of using a laserrifle.

:ar15:

Theres nothing like having the wind in yer hair and a big weapon in your hand. Go the Magnum (if there was one) , im gonna go with the pistol - it makes a cool noise , and remember guys , its not size that matters , its how you use it.

As much as I like the pistol, it's no Magnum - but yes, it's not size, it's usage. The laser pistol's better, but there's absolutely nothing like beating the tar out an alien armed with the latest and most powerful alien gadetry ever with a dinky pistol.

- NKF

i wish there was a big F*** off magnum in ufo , i so love them. I beleive that every game should include a big manly revolver.

Look ma , its animated

(Click on the image)

Edited by Sporb