XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Tech Tree Questions

Guest Azrael Strife

Nope, not mine :P. I got it from a site which contained a lot of game tech trees.

I started making one, but due to RL, I didn't have the time to complete it... Apparently, Azrael made a tech tree :). Actually, I was afraid of that kind of "diagram h3ll", and my nightmare became real with Az's version :NyaNyaNya:

Dunno if I could do it better... Mine would definitely be longer, but IMO more clear.

Hey, that was the site I had in mind, ty Mike! :D

I just read through this and the thread where Asrael posted his image of the tech tree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you making Xenocide into a X-COM: UFO Defense clone? The tech tree you made that I saw was (IIRC) identical to the XCOM1 tech tree, except some of the names were slightly different.

I love X-Com1 and I've been waiting for a good sequel ever since Apocalypse, because none of the UFO: *** series have been very good. I've been following Xenocide for a while because it seems to be the most promising project. However, do you really want X-Com 1 with different names and a better engine? Honestly, as much as I love it, the game wasn't perfect. IMO it would make sense to change that tech tree a little so that Xenocide is more distinguishable from (and maybe better than) the one in X-Com 1.

For example, it looks like you're going with the same three ships (with their new names) for the player to build. I thought the orignal's ships were terrible, except for the Avenger. The first two didn't replace their already-existing Earth counterparts, and really didn't even supplement them very much. Apocalypse did a better job in this regard, since most of the ships you could build were useful and better than the ships they replaced.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on Xenocide. Looks like you're doing a good job, but personally I would love it if the game had original techs, weapons, craft, etc.

Edited by Yawgm0th

I just read through this and the thread where Asrael posted his image of the tech tree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you making Xenocide into a X-COM: UFO Defense clone?  The tech tree you made that I saw was (IIRC) identical to the XCOM1 tech tree, except some of the names were slightly different.

I love X-Com1 and I've been waiting for a good sequel ever since Apocalypse, because none of the UFO: *** series have been very good.  I've been following Xenocide for a while because it seems to be the most promising project.  However, do you really want X-Com 1 with different names and a better engine?  Honestly, as much as I love it, the game wasn't perfect. IMO it would make sense to change that tech tree a little so that Xenocide is more distinguishable from (and maybe better than) the one in X-Com 1.

For example, it looks like you're going with the same three ships (with their new names) for the player to build.  I thought the orignal's ships were terrible, except for the Avenger.  The first two didn't replace their already-existing Earth counterparts, and really didn't even supplement them very much.  Apocalypse did a better job in this regard, since most of the ships you could build were useful and better than the ships they replaced. 

Anyway, that's just my two cents on Xenocide.  Looks like you're doing a good job, but personally I would love it if the game had original techs, weapons, craft, etc.

I would like to use X-Com names, but unfortunately it's be a copyright violation to do so. And so far the plan is to make Xenocide a game close to X-Com, but having the same techtree does not mean that all weapons and ships will be the same, through testing we'll probably modify a lot of stuff over time.

And even if we don't, PX will be easily moddable, so you will be able to change weapons, ships, Aliens, etc, into your liking :)

• 3 weeks later...

Can Blaster Launchers/Blaster Bombs/Small Launchers and Stun Bombs be manufactured?

EDIT: Also, can Alien Navigation and UFO Powersources be manufactured?

And lastly, what are the requirements for the Mind Shield? X-Com wiki says only Psi Lab, wasn't a specific Alien needed?

Edited by Azrael

Can Blaster Launchers/Blaster Bombs/Small Launchers and Stun Bombs be manufactured?

And lastly, what are the requirements for the Mind Shield? X-Com wiki says only Psi Lab, wasn't a specific Alien needed?

AFAIR: yes, yes, yes, yes and yes, as well as yes and if I'm not mistaken no. :P

AFAIR: yes, yes, yes, yes and yes, as well as yes and if I'm not mistaken no. :P

You need a specific alien (the psychic kind) to get the psi lab, so in a way you need that alien for the mind shield as well :)

You need a specific alien (the psychic kind) to get the psi lab, so in a way you need that alien for the mind shield as well :)

I'm kinda asking for the specific requirements for the Mind Shield, not it's prerequisites (PsiLab)

According to Kasey Chang, they can:

4.8 STUFF THAT MUST BE RESEARCHED AND MANUFACTURERED

See 5.4 for profitability study of these items.  Keep in mind

that UFO:Enemy Unknown may have different prices.

Engineer    Workshop          Alien Sale

Hours Cost Space Elerium Alloys  Price

[Equipment]

Motion scanner    220    34k      4    -      -  45600

Medikit              420    28k      4    -      -  46500

Mind probe          1200 262k      4    1      -    334000

Psi amp              500 160k      4    1      -    194700

[Armor]

Personal armor    800    22k  12    -      4    140000

Power suit          1000    42k  16    5      5    310000

Flying suit      1400    58k  16      16      5    420000

[HWP]

Tank/laser          1200 500k  25    -      -      ?

Hovertank/plasma    1200 850k  30      30      5    980000

Hovertank/launcher  1400 900k  30      25      8 1043000

HWP fusion bomb      400    15k  25    5      8  31500

[weapons]

Laser pistol      300  8k      2    -      -  20000

Laser rifle          400    20k      3    -      -  36900

Heavy laser          700    32k      4    -      -  61000

Plasma pistol        600    56k      3    -      1  84000

Plasma pistol clip    60  2k      4    1      -      4440

Plasma rifle      820    88k      4    -      1    126500

Plasma rifle clip  80  3k      4    2      -      6290

Heavy plasma        1000 122k      4    -      1    171600

Heavy plasma clip  80  6k      4    3      -      9590

Blaster launcher    1200    90k      5    -      1    144000

Blaster bomb      220  8k      3    3      -  17028

Small launcher    900    78k      3    -      1    120000

Stun bomb            200  7k      2    1      -  15200

Alien grenade        200 6.7k      2    2      -  14850

[Crafts]

FIRESTORM          14000 400k  30    -  65      -*

LIGHTNING          18000 600k  34    -  85      -*

AVENGER            34000 900k  36    -    120      -**

[Craft Weapons]

Laser cannon      300 182k      6    -      -    211000

Plasma beam          500 226k      8      15      -    267300

Fusion ball launcher 400 242k      6    -      -    281100

Fusion ball          600    28k      6    4      -  53300

[Misc]

Alien alloys      100  3k  10    -      -      6500

Elerium-115            -      -      -    -      -      5000***

UFO power source    1400 130k  22      16      5    250000

UFO navigation      1600 150k  18    -      3  80000

* needs 1 UFO power source + 1 UFO navigation

**  needs 2 UFO power sources + 1 UFO navigation

*** Elerium can ONLY be captured as parts of UFO or base,

which makes it extremely valuable, so NEVER sell or waste

any of it

Azrael, you can manufacture EVERYTHING (Except things you can buy and E-115), aside from obvious useless crap like alien entertainment, corpses, etc.

The mind shield needs only a psi lab. Once you've researched psi lab you can research the mind shield.