XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issues Adressing The Rb 431

Mad

Hi!

I hope this is the right place for it...

First of all the Msvcp71.dll is missing again.

After "installing" it I get the following errors when trying to start the game:

pr431_error1.jpg

pr431_error2.jpg

Specs:

Toshiba M30-344 Laptop

1,5Ghz Pentium M

512 MB DDR-RAM

GeForce Go 5200 64MB

HDD: Toshiba 60Gb

Please Mad add in the issue tracker the .dll issues in the installer.

Greetings

Red Knight

I would like to, but it is not possible! One cannot select a build, so BUGS doesn´t allow to go any further. Sorry. :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest max4ever

*add something like reverse mouse, also mouse sensivity

*remove the barier that one can't rotate the globe when u end up at at north/south pole, ok i know the same limitation are in the original 2 xcoms, but maybe u can remove it

*the x buttons are hard to click with the mouse, add more keyboard shortcuts, like esc/enter/...

*oh and by the way this may sound exagerated, but have you considered making the illumination of the Earth depend on the year/globe position in universe, you know lots of astronomy stuff, eclipse and stuff

well keep it up, at least with this release u showed some alive signs

have you considered teaming up with Ufo: alien invasion, they use another engine and stuff, but the 2 software "could" complete each other

bye bye

*add something like reverse mouse, also mouse sensivity

I'd say focus should be on getting something playable before doing small interface improvements, so unless someone gets so annoyed with it that they implement it, it will probably be take a while before it will make it into the project (but of course, feel free to post a patch)

*remove the barier that one can't rotate the globe when u end up at at north/south pole, ok i know the same limitation are in the original 2 xcoms, but maybe u can remove it

hmm, works perfectly here...

*the x buttons are hard to click with the mouse, add more keyboard shortcuts, like esc/enter/...

Keyboard shortcuts are definitly important, but probably same applies as to point 1

*oh and by the way this may sound exagerated, but have you considered making the illumination of the Earth depend on the year/globe position in universe, you know lots of astronomy stuff, eclipse and stuff

actually, sun angle changes with time of year. Coding solar eclipse is definitly possible but the player will probably miss them anyway, since they'll be way to busy fighting aliens and they aren't that common.

*well keep it up, at least with this release u showed some alive signs

thanks for the input, even though I don't like the wording "at least" ;-)

*have you considered teaming up with Ufo: alien invasion, they use another engine and stuff, but the 2 software "could" complete each other

Being based on different engines kind of limits synergy possibilities. Personally I must admit that I haven't taken a very close look. But if they are in a similar phase of having already decided on major design issues, combination would be rather hard. It's probably more the case of concurrents fostering innovation :-)

Rincewind

Guest Azrael

Actually, I have the same "barrier" that prevents me to rotate in a 360º going from either north to south or south to north, but I think that's ok, avoids some annoyance when you rotate the Earth and leave it "upside down" from what we are used to, happened to me in a couple of games, not a big issue but can be a little annoying.

I would like to make a couple of comments of my own. First of all I'd like to say terrific work to the programmers, this build looks really excellent, sound is superb (kudos to ATeX :)).

I have four issues, they are minor, I think, but I'd like to comment on them, at least.

* Reset Scroll on X-Net Entries: If you scroll down the text on an entry, and you click on another entry, the new entry appears scrolled down exactly where you left the previous one. I don't know if I was clear, so for example, if I'm seeing the entry "Artopod" and scroll down to the bottom, then click on "Barracks" entry, Barracks appears scrolled down at the bottom. Could the scrolling be reseted so I don't have to scroll up every time I read another entry? This doesn't seem that difficult to implement, and can be a source of annoyance when in play, not an immediate issue, however.

* Naming of X-Net Entries: I've noticed the names of entries are repeated, so in the entry "Artopod", the title reads:

Artopod
ARTOPOD
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Species/Artopod

Artopod is repeated twice, the one in caps appears to be the title in the text itself, the first one seems to be given by the program, can this be fixed from the programming side or should we modify all texts and eliminate the titles as the program already gives them titles?

*Delay in double click: If I click twice on one of the rotate buttons, the button seems to be stuck the second time I click it, it takes the program about 2 seconds to let me rotate again.

*Sound & Music bars: in options, the tabs to lower the volume of music or effects, the bars are too thin!, it shouldn't take "mouse accuracy skill" to click on them :D

Great work everyone =b

Edited by Azrael

Actually, I have the same "barrier" that prevents me to rotate in a 360º going from either north to south or south to north, but I think that's ok, avoids some annoyance when you rotate the Earth and leave it "upside down" from what we are used to, happened to me in a couple of games, not a big issue but can be a little annoying.

I would like to make a couple of comments of my own. First of all I'd like to say terrific work to the programmers, this build looks really excellent, sound is superb (kudos to ATeX :)).

thanks a lot. :banana: That thing preventing you from getting the world "upside down" is intentional, in the beginning, I didn't have that and believe me, it IS annoying.

I have four issues, they are minor, I think, but I'd like to comment on them, at least.

* Reset Scroll on X-Net Entries: If you scroll down the text on an entry, and you click on another entry, the new entry appears scrolled down exactly where you left the previous one. I don't know if I was clear, so for example, if I'm seeing the entry "Artopod" and scroll down to the bottom, then click on "Barracks" entry, Barracks appears scrolled down at the bottom. Could the scrolling be reseted so I don't have to scroll up every time I read another entry? This doesn't seem that difficult to implement, and can be a source of annoyance when in play, not an immediate issue, however.

you are right, I noticed it too, but always forgot to fix it. Fixed it in my checkout now and should get committed to SVN together with the next bunch of updates.

* Naming of X-Net Entries: I've noticed the names of entries are repeated, so in the entry "Artopod", the title reads:

Artopod
ARTOPOD
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Species/Artopod

Artopod is repeated twice, the one in caps appears to be the title in the text itself, the first one seems to be given by the program, can this be fixed from the programming side or should we modify all texts and eliminate the titles as the program already gives them titles?

I guess thats up to you guys, we can remove adding the title (which is taken from the entries symbolic name looked up in the dictionary-class), or you can remove it from the texts. If you say it's in all the texts, I think removing it from the programming side makes more sense.

*Delay in double click: If I click twice on one of the rotate buttons, the button seems to be stuck the second time I click it, it takes the program about 2 seconds to let me rotate again.

Another issue I always forgot about. Fixed now.

*Sound & Music bars: in options, the tabs to lower the volume of music or effects, the bars are too thin!, it shouldn't take "mouse accuracy skill" to click on them :D

This is an issue that will be fixed together with a lot of widget issues once we have our own widget set (arrendek is working on it).

Great work everyone  =b

Thanks again, and please keep up the feedback. If you see features while developing, they sometimes became so natural to you that you don't see the problems.

Greetings,

Rincewind

Heheheee, it seems we are making serious progress here ^_^. Once more, gj everyone! =b =b =b =b

I had 9 comments to make, but some have already been posted, so I'm just gonna be AFAP:

1) Isn't it useless to have "funding: $........" in X-Net? O_o

2) Slider in X-net isn't reset

3) I've got the Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard. It has volume up/down keys on top, which don't work in Xeno (definitely, some1 has to implement it :P :wink1). Check it out if you want, it would be really helpful! ^_^

4) Sliding in X-net could be smoother, that "line-by-line" change isn't very nice.

5) I can't even imagine X-Net without MOUSE WHEEL support! (In addition, I can't imagine programmers without a wheel mouse either :P :D)

6) After exiting X-Net, there is no music playing. YOu must abandon game and then start a new one. I've noticed that when the X-net music ended, but forgot to check it while it was still playing :\

7) If you use the controls on the lower-right to move around the globe, the movement is too fast :(. And, if you use the mouse to move around (excellent feature!!!! =b ), the movement is a biiiiit more sharp than it should, but there is not real problem :). Although I would prefer reverse movement... :(

8) The new globe lighting is wonderful ^_^. But, aren't reflections in the day-side a bit too bright?! Just check the ocean... >_

9) If you enter the UI menu, the console pops-up, but the X mark doesn't work, you must click the BACK button on the upper-right.

10) Most importantly, while in the Console menu, if you move the mouse around the background, you can see the mouse pointer trail, yikes >_:D =b

About mouse invert:

I also don't like current mouse globe control (especially that one axis is now inverted and second isn't :) )so except invert mouse option in next progress release :)

About no music after exiting from X-Net:

It works ok on current CVS version on my machine. If error will occur also in next PR i will look into it.

Beetle

Heheheee, it seems we are making serious progress here ^_^. Once more, gj everyone! =b =b =b =b

I had 9 comments to make, but some have already been posted, so I'm just gonna be AFAP:

Ok, I'll try to keep my answers to the point as well:

Yep, leftover from concept screen, someone from art interested? If not, you can always edit it yourself and post the new image file (somewhere under data/textures/ui

see above, it's fixed in SVN

3) I've got the Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard. It has volume up/down keys on top, which don't work in Xeno (definitely, some1 has to implement it :P :wink1). Check it out if you want, it would be really helpful! ^_^

No idea, but I guess this is rather low prio, also it should work since fmod has to obey windows volume settings, I think

4) Sliding in X-net could be smoother, that "line-by-line" change isn't very nice.

Wait for new widget sets, current scrollbar is more of a "hack"

5) I can't even imagine X-Net without MOUSE WHEEL support! (In addition, I can't imagine programmers without a wheel mouse either :P :D)

See point 4

6) After exiting X-Net, there is no music playing. YOu must abandon game and then start a new one. I've noticed that when the X-net music ended, but forgot to check it while it was still playing :\

see beetle's reply

7) If you use the controls on the lower-right to move around the globe, the movement is too fast :(. And, if you use the mouse to move around (excellent feature!!!! =b ), the movement is a biiiiit more sharp than it should, but there is not real problem :). Although I would prefer reverse movement... :(

Again, question of priority, since it's currently not really playable it's not that bad that you can't focus on that terror site very quickly... (but maybe Beetle with have mercy, see his post...)

8) The new globe lighting is wonderful ^_^. But, aren't reflections in the day-side a bit too bright?! Just check the ocean... >_

If you want to, take a look at the file earth.material in data/materials. You can tweak values there to your liking. Then post a a before/after screenshot and we can discuss it (If you can send me your video card type, I can tell you which technique to you have to tweak)

9) If you enter the UI menu, the console pops-up, but the X mark doesn't work, you must click the BACK button on the upper-right.

TestUI is just a playground to test new stuff. Maybe we should add a setting that enables/disables it.

10) Most importantly, while in the Console menu, if you move the mouse around the background, you can see the mouse pointer trail, yikes >_

See 9)

11) Text issue, see Azrael's post

See reply to Azrael's post ;-)

Keep up the wonderful work!!! :D =b

We'll try. And thanks again for feedback.

Rincewind

Edited by rincewind

Guest Azrael
I haven't experienced that loss of music when in the X-Net, but I've noticed music resets when you leave X-Net, probably not important. Btw, I love the fade out effect when you leave the X-Net :)

10) Most importantly, while in the Console menu, if you move the mouse around the background, you can see the mouse pointer trail, yikes >_:D =b

1) not really. you might want to check something's cost there and then compare it to your funds.

and it's on all the other screens :P

2) fixed.

3) like rincewind stated, adding support for keyboard shortcuts is a feature, not a priority, so it'll come later.

5) will look into it.

6) works fine here. maybe it got fixed later, don't know.

7) i'll decrease the speed. we'll eventually add options so you can control the speed yourself and reverse control, though again, that's not a priority.

9) the UI Test, as the name says, is just to test new UI layouts and imagesets before they're actually used. in other words, it's not supposed to work :P

10) works fine here (probably got fixed later). someone probably removed (accidentally, i hope) the background of the UI Test.

Edited by SupSuper

And, when making comments, we don't mean that the things we post SHOULD WORK or should be #1 priorities. We just make some comments, which could be implemented in V 0.9, or will never even be implemented :P ^_^.

No offense, they are just "comments" ^_^

I have some issues with the 'barrier' thing. If you scroll in, then scroll out folled by a click downwards, you move the northpole barrier down onto Euirope (stops there) and later, if you continue, to central Afrika. The south barrier moves accordingly, and you can scroll over the antarctic onto the Pacific.

Another idea regarding globe rotation...it would be nice to have a way to re-center (North being up, equator level) the globe, after you've been fiddling with it. It took me a lot of work to get it more-or-less back to the basic orientation.

(ignore me if this is already implemented, and I just didn't find it)

-The Captain

I have some issues with the 'barrier' thing. If you scroll in, then scroll out folled by a click downwards, you move the northpole barrier down onto Euirope (stops there) and later, if you continue, to central Afrika. The south barrier moves accordingly, and you can scroll over the antarctic onto the Pacific.

I will take a look at it. This is definitly not the desired behaviour.

@Cpt. Boxershorts: With this bug fixed, I don't think there's still a need for your feature. What do you think?

Rincewind

Guest Azrael

I've noticed that X-net entries could be cumbersome to read in their present layout. I mean that the text might be more easily read if there were spaces between paragraphs, as we make them in the forums or on the RTF. This apparently is an issue with the XML file, I tried playing with it a little, trying to add a "blank" paragraph, simply by adding

(crashed the first time I tried it :D), but Xenocide seems to ignore that, any ideas how could we add a blank space between paragraphs?

I've noticed that X-net entries could be cumbersome to read in their present layout. I mean that the text might be more easily read if there were spaces between paragraphs, as we make them in the forums or on the RTF. This apparently is an issue with the XML file, I tried playing with it a little, trying to add a "blank" paragraph, simply by adding

(crashed the first time I tried it :D), but Xenocide seems to ignore that, any ideas how could we add a blank space between paragraphs?

I think this is more a programming thing. Currently, we don't add a blank line when putting the paragraphs together, but we can change that very easily.

Notes and will be changed in the future :-)

Rincewind

Does build 431 still have fits with newer Nvidia drivers? Because I got some really strange video glitches when I tried to run it...I can post some screenshots if the answer is "it's not supposed to." Of course, my video card is slightly suspect...I think it is having some sort of layering psychosis, but for the most part it can still run Battlefield so I wouldn't think it would cause the problems I'm seeing with this build. The error, in particular, is that the globe (or parts of the globe) will disappear completely at certain angles of rotation...Anyway, let me know if you'd like screenshots. It will probably be Sunday night when I can post them because I'll be going out of town.

What I can see of the globe looks really good...

Does build 431 still have fits with newer Nvidia drivers?  Because I got some really strange video glitches when I tried to run it...I can post some screenshots if the answer is "it's not supposed to."  Of course, my video card is slightly suspect...I think it is having some sort of layering psychosis, but for the most part it can still run Battlefield so I wouldn't think it would cause the problems I'm seeing with this build.  The error, in particular, is that the globe (or parts of the globe) will disappear completely at certain angles of rotation...Anyway, let me know if you'd like screenshots.  It will probably be Sunday night when I can post them because I'll be going out of town.

What I can see of the globe looks really good...

The answer is definitly:

"it's not supposed to". So if you could post your system-spec (gfx card, driver, etc) and some screenshots, we can take a look at it.

Greetings,

Rincewind

Win2k Pro

GeForce3Ti 500 w/64 MB RAM, driver version...hrm...ah, 71.84 I believe.

DirectX9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

512MB RAM

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor

VIA AC '97 Integrated Audio

Here's a few screenshots. They were taken in one go, with screenshot1 working fine, screenshot2 and 3 glitched, and it came back for screenshot4...

Now, as I mentioned, I have occasionally had problems with my video card - specifically, even after my fresh install, when I'm playing battlefield, occasionally some layers disappear. Normally this is fixed by minimize/restore, but that doesn't seem to work in this case.

Oh, and OpenGL rendering hates me. Do I need to have some type of additional software to run that?

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_2.png

screenshot_3.png

screenshot_4.png

Win2k Pro

512MB RAM

Here's a few screenshots.  They were taken in one go, with screenshot1 working fine, screenshot2 and 3 glitched, and it came back for screenshot4...

Now, as I mentioned, I have occasionally had problems with my video card - specifically, even after my fresh install, when I'm playing battlefield, occasionally some layers disappear.  Normally this is fixed by minimize/restore, but that doesn't seem to work in this case.

Oh, and OpenGL rendering hates me.  Do I need to have some type of additional software to run that?

This looks like a video card issue. Don't know if you have the possibility to test with earlier drivers. Also, could be an overclocking/overheating problem with the gfx.

Can we get confirmation from someone else with an NVIDIA card that it works for them?

Rincewind

Guest Azrael
Win2k Pro

512MB RAM

Here's a few screenshots.  They were taken in one go, with screenshot1 working fine, screenshot2 and 3 glitched, and it came back for screenshot4...

Now, as I mentioned, I have occasionally had problems with my video card - specifically, even after my fresh install, when I'm playing battlefield, occasionally some layers disappear.  Normally this is fixed by minimize/restore, but that doesn't seem to work in this case.

Oh, and OpenGL rendering hates me.  Do I need to have some type of additional software to run that?

This looks like a video card issue. Don't know if you have the possibility to test with earlier drivers. Also, could be an overclocking/overheating problem with the gfx.

Can we get confirmation from someone else with an NVIDIA card that it works for them?

Rincewind

I have NVidia GForce 5200 with driver version 6.14.0010.5672, works fine here.

I've had problems with the latest drivers, so I use these, slightly outdated but work fine with everything.

Guest Dareios

I noticed the earth rotates in the opposite direction...

I mean, the dawn is at west and the sunset at east. :hmmm:

(for RedKnight or anyone who understands: toy al pedo)