XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com 3 Revisited - A Video Log

So, I decided to make a movie for my mod.

After several attempts to make a movie shorter than 12 minutes, I finally decided to capture it in pieces.

Luckily, this time I got a favourable deployment and managed to make a movie that is 8 minutes long.

Sides involved:

1. Cult of Sirius:

Armed mostly with small arms and occasional Autocannon or Laser Rifle. They can't afford launchers.

2. X-Com:

Armored and armed with mix of small arms and heavy weapons. Soldiers:

Power Suit and Autocannon.

2x Personal Armor and M4000 and 4 AP Granades.

Personal Armor and Laser Rifle.

Personal Armor and Heavy Launcher.

Personal Armor and Mind Bender and Motion Scanner.

Here's the first part

And here's the Mopping up (which I removed) :) .

EDIT:

I decided to start a video-log for my mod.

Edited by Sorrow

Thanks :) . I knew that someone is berserking but I wasn't sure how many of them were left - I wouldn't like to encounter someone with a laser rifle and a high reaction ;) . The most amusing thing is that the last enemy was in the same room as most of my forces all the time and my power-suited soldier probably passed right beside him and manoeuvred to avoid collision without seeing him XD .

It was funny seeing how much you blew up because I used to think that I am very destructive. Since most of the early weapons are not all that useful (especially against brainsuckers) I often took auto cannons with HE ammo to cover for that. Heck, I kept them even very far into the game.

And yes, I also hate it when the guy is right in front of my nose and I don't see him. Oh the number of times this has happened in UFO.

I always found it amusing how much the organizations cared about getting their properties destroyed, yet didn't seem to care about civilians at all. :D

Edited by Gimli

It was funny seeing how much you blew up because I used to think that I am very destructive. Since most of the early weapons are not all that useful (especially against brainsuckers) I often took auto cannons with HE ammo to cover for that. Heck, I kept them even very far into the game.

Heh :) ...

Actually, it was pretty tame when compared with what I used to do with organisations before I started using the savegame editor to make the organisations "follow" the same rules regarding having a building successfully raided as X-Com.

I used to set everything on fire, destroy walls with lasers and use high explosives and heavy launchers just to inflict as much damage as it's possible :) .

And yes, I also hate it when the guy is right in front of my nose and I don't see him. Oh the number of times this has happened in UFO.

It was the second time it happened to me. Another thing that I hate is when an enemy with a dangerous weapon starts walking/crawling around instead of using it on my soldiers.

For example, in one raid, a cultist with sniper rifle was close to my soldier, but started crawling instead of firing.

Another such situation was when a cultist with sniper rifle killed one of my soldiers on point blank range and then instead of shooting another one which was just beside him, he picked up a heavy launcher and walked around for a moment <_< .

I always found it amusing how much the organizations cared about getting their properties destroyed, yet didn't seem to care about civilians at all. :D

Heh :) .

Too bad that there aren't civilians on raids - genociding would be amusing :D .

I uploaded a video of my first alien mission. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better if I made the aliens use some real weapons instead of the launchers. I think I'll have to play X-Com 1 again and see how it works there...

Edited by Sorrow

I changed the topic to a video log for my mod. I added commentary on my design decisions.

The entries so far are:

X-com 3 Revisited - Entry I - Smashing the Cult of Sirius

X-com 3 Revisited - Entry II - The First Contact

X-com 3 Revisited - Entry III - Fighting against Diablo

The last entry is new.

Edited by Sorrow

• 1 year later...

Heh :) ...

Actually, it was pretty tame when compared with what I used to do with organisations before I started using the savegame editor to make the organisations "follow" the same rules regarding having a building successfully raided as X-Com.

I used to set everything on fire, destroy walls with lasers and use high explosives and heavy launchers just to inflict as much damage as it's possible :) .

It was the second time it happened to me. Another thing that I hate is when an enemy with a dangerous weapon starts walking/crawling around instead of using it on my soldiers.

For example, in one raid, a cultist with sniper rifle was close to my soldier, but started crawling instead of firing.

Another such situation was when a cultist with sniper rifle killed one of my soldiers on point blank range and then instead of shooting another one which was just beside him, he picked up a heavy launcher and walked around for a moment <_ .>

Heh :) .

Too bad that there aren't civilians on raids - genociding would be amusing :D .

I uploaded a video of my first alien mission. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better if I made the aliens use some real weapons instead of the launchers. I think I'll have to play X-Com 1 again and see how it works there...

A late reply, but what I always wanted to do was to give spitters (they're useless and their attack animation would fit nicely I believe :) ) the brainsucker launcher, preferably with an unlimited supply of pods. And then give the aliens disruptors from the beginning, or some other weapon (new one/human weapon?) to avoid allowing the player early access to disruptor weapons. Could also be avoided by setting some tech prerequisites for that weapon I guess.

edit: love the xcom1 sound fx btw

Edited by j'ordos

Me too :D .

As for the Spitters.

I simply turned the Spitter's spittle into an equivalent of the Celatid's spittle from X-Com1. So, the problem of their uselessness is gone :D .

Also, why shouldn't the player have an early access to Disruptor weapons?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks really good sorrow, there's nothing like massive casualties to spice up a game :) should really get that import feature up and running.

Regarding the unlimited ammo I meant it would eliminate any early game ammo shortages, part of the fun.

edit: and have you tried using VDMSound instead of DOSbox? Or do you need it to record your missions :)

Edited by j'ordos

Looks really good sorrow, there's nothing like massive casualties to spice up a game :)

Now I'm running out of men :D . I have lost 2 assault teams and I had a moment when I couldn't respond to alien alerts because of lack of personnel XD .

should really get that import feature up and running.

Yeah, it would be great :D .

Regarding the unlimited ammo I meant it would eliminate any early game ammo shortages, part of the fun.

Well, I don't recall having any ammo shortages, both in UFO and in Apocalypse.

edit: and have you tried using VDMSound instead of DOSbox? Or do you need it to record your missions :)

VDMSound doesn't work on my system, SBLive SB16 emulation doesn't work with my motherboard and I need DOSBox to record my missions :D .

Hehe, good one Sorrow! :D Hope that one soldier that died wasn't important... ;)

- Zombie

Ouch. ^_^

By the way, kudos on making these videos. Have you ever considered doing a "Let's Play" of Apocalypse? I think you would be perfect for the job. =b

- Zombie

Another video

This time I'm destroying all the Osiron buildings with my fleet. I made an assault on a big UFO after the Marsec warehouse mission in which I have lost 6 of the twelve soldiers that I've sent and three of the survivors got heavily wounded.

Sadly, it turned out that I didn't record it because my Dosbox didn't save the keymap I've set up previously.

Anyway, with my ground forces crippled, I wasn't able to respond to an alien alert in an Osiron slum, which resulted in Osiron getting taken over by aliens. So, I had to completely obliterate them from air. Too bad that now I have to manually change the ownership of the buildings...

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks. I think I need to work on proper "stealthing" of my agents, so that they would be exposed to much less fire.

Also, I made a big mistake in the second video - I didn't spread out my troops properly. I should have divided them in at least two team. Another mistake was that I used AP ammo for AC instead of HE, which was pointless as it was a terror raid, not a robbery.

Anyway, I came to conclusion that I enjoy fighting against humans much more than fighting against aliens. More, I like fighting with "basic" weapons the most. Technology is already advanced enough to provide a nice variety of weapons.

Edited by Sorrow

I've made another attempt to capture a Destroyer. This time it was successful.

6 humans, 4 hybrids and 2 androids walked in 3 humans and 2 heavily injured androids walked out.

Sadly, I couldn't record it, because the framerate was too low. It seems that the ships got too big for my computer to handle.

I've tried liberally using smoke to cover my movement, but it didn't help much. Aliens apparently see through thick smoke.

The combat finally got interesting - attacking or defending usually ends up with encountering a hail of disruptor/devastator rays and spittle.

It got really brutal.

I divided my forces into three groups - 6 humans (3MGs, 1 DC, 1 AC and 1 TG), 2 Androids (AC) and 4 hybrids as a reserve (1 TG + Mind Probe, 3MGs).

The hybrids were near the UFO entrance and they got slaughtered in 30 seconds without seeing the enemy.

I sent a group of human to block that side - 1MG, 1AC and 1DC and sent the rest of humans around the UFO to surprise the enemy.

I ordered my androids to move atop the UFO.

The blocking group got destroyed by repeating alien attacks in 2 minutes.

Meanwhile the androids cleared the top of the UFO from Skeletoids (which didn't fire a single shot) and moved towards the edge of the UFO.

The flanking group got around the UFO.

I ordered one of the androids to observe the ground through a hole near the entrance to the UFO. The other one moved to the edge.

Four aliens were spotted and destroyed.

Then both androids moved to the ground and went under fire of 5 Anthropoids armed with a variety of disruptor weapons. There was no space to throw boomeroids.

I tried to order the flanking squad to join the battle, but it had trouble with finding a road through a difficult terrain behind the UFO.

Meanwhile the androids got severely wounded, but somehow managed to kill a few Anthropoids and detonated their boomeroids, killing the rest of them.

I lost 3 humans and 4 hybrids, a lot of equipment got totally destroyed, including a 6 medikits.

There were 8 Anthropods, 3 Skeletoids and 3 Spitters. The only reason why I have won was the endurance of my androids.

Smoke does work quite well, but there are two things that can cause it to backfire:

1. Enemies randomly firing into the smoke cloud - which then follows onto the next point:

2. This random fire hitting one of your units. This makes your unit visible to the aliens, rendering the cloud useless for that unit until they lose sight of that unit.

Just remember that the same rules work for you as well - so if the enemies are in a smoke cloud and you have a rough idea where they are from the origin of their shots, then shift-click a spray of bullets in that direction.

I'd try setting the cloud in between you and the enemies rather than having your units in the cloud - unless you plan to run through it in the other direction to make way.

- NKF

No, I think it's more a case of having a rough idea of where you are based on the direction of your shots or they may even have memory like they do in UFO/TFTD.

- NKF

• 1 month later...

YouTube complains that this video is private. Any ideas? :(

- Zombie

Thanks! Nice shooting by your troops BTW! :D

- Zombie

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Looking at the description on the video, I kinda doubt the AI actually is better on harder difficulty levels, their units just get better stats. Not much to say about the mission itself, looks like it was pretty tame :) You should increase the building guards!