XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Get a win95 comp to play X-com

I am currently in-between Win95 systems (I have a CD-ROM installer purchased from Microsoft back when it was on the market, and Win95 doesn't have Product Activation). Getting a working Apocalypse install was a bit tricky (ended up using a blend of Win95 and W2K to construct it, this was ~2 years before the Steam release), and most likely will play Apocalypse on the next Win95 multiboot system when it is built from parts. The main reason I couldn't play Apocalypse in W2K was the mouse was pinned in the upper left quadrant of the screen. Win95 was fine, but had sound disabled.

The last Win95 system had ActiveX upgraded too high. The highest ActiveX that should be installed on a Win95 system is ActiveX 5, as ActiveX 6 is not even remotely backwards compatible. I'm not sure what the highest ActiveX is that the CE edition can handle without needing a loader (suspect it's somewhere between ActiveX 3 and ActiveX 5 inclusive), but ActiveX 9 was definitely too high. The XCOMUtil-bundled loader, sadly, was not Win95-compatible.

Edited by zaimoni