XCOMUFO & Xenocide

A Beautiful Time

Seven of nine (NOT the Star Trek personality) of my men were sitting in the infirmary, whining about their wounds.

I had two units left with full health, a weak, aspiring psi agent and a rather beefy young android.

Lacking anything for them to do at the moment, I decided, on a whim, to raid the Osiron warehouse with just these two. In they went, and immiediately there was fighting. The girl took some hits, but after the first scuffle, four or five Osiron lay dead. Then they were off, searching for the rest.

After running around a service lift, the android and woman were confronted with three more Osiron. Two went down, but the last got off a shot with a devestator cannon which tore teh woman in two.

Not a big loss, and there was potentially much gain at stake (I had very little money at the time, and this raid, if successful, would be like a free $20,000). The android continued, stepping through a set of double doors.

That's when he saw them; all 12 of them.

After using up all his grenades and taking a hit, the android was backed into a corner with a few Osiron corpses and at least five more soldiers waiting for him to pop out. He picked up the grenades and tossed them out, taking down two more.

The last three panicked (:chicken:), and it was a simple clean up from there.

All in all, it was the most beautiful raid I'd ever seen, though it would've been a lot better if the woman woud've survived.

• 2 months later...
We gamers society thank you. You are giving us a little hope that our time during playing a games isn't wasted. You show us that playing can change into art.... :aliencool: :P :D

(in a thick Irish accent) "Id've cleaved em all in two with my giant axe!" *remembers there are no axes, especially not giant ones in Apoc...* OK, i think my funniest battle story is how my defense centers stopped a Cult raid -- I didn't have any combatants at the base.

If you want my best battle story of all time though, it comes from UFO Defense. 20 soldiers at one base and I get raided -- defense centers aren't up yet, so it lands no problem....here's the problem, I never put any weaponry at the base! I had 20 soldiers with no weapons....Suicide mission time. I got them in teams of 5 and ran them at engineers (who's fire would stun my troops AND another alien if I was lucky) After than I had tons of troops dead and tons more passed out (i had 8 guys left at one point). But I also had weaponry now. Those 8 soldiers made sure the sacrifice of their comrades was not in vain by vanquishing all those evil sectoids from the base; their victory was a message in defiance of the odds (think about it...unequipped soldiers [they didn't even have grenades...if they could throw elerium they could have done something] vs sectoids?!?!?! They were all rooks too (they were psi trained however, otherwise they woulda been toast. They didn't have psi amps with em)...)

Great stories! :D

I just love this game and it gets best if burning aliens run fire ladders down and I blow the ladder into pieces with a grenade and the bunrning aliens fall all the way down. ;) :crazy:

One time many aliens stood above me on a platform (steel grid) and I shot my auto cannon with flammable ammo up to them through their floor, they all started burning and it was like a big nice barbecue. Then I got myself a snack while they burned... :rolleyes:

Im proud of myself. Its a wave of X-Com war stories ;) :D

It happend to me in UFO: Enemy Unknown. I have read once abuot how to have better soldiers than sergeants and captains. I decided to have few ones. I had two bases then and bought 50 soldiers to second. I manfactured for them 50 powersuits and 50 laser rifles. It was quite far in game and Battleships were trying to atack bases few times a month. They succed once. 5 mutons and one celatid came to my base against 40 X-Com rooks. Damn, it was horrible... Can you even imagine moving 40 guys in turn based? Finally when I encountered one muton and killed it losing 2 guys cos of very careless playing other came up. It was blood bath... Another few rooks died but I won the battle and gain important experience: you can have 40 soldiers at one battle :P

To stay clear: I got 50 soldiers but game gave 40 of them. With 80 items per base mission it give you a simple result of weapon and one clip. But not thats my point.... IT WAS TERRIBLE! I even didn't found all my soldiers (counted 'em on equip screen). One turn was really long, and after it... A short hidden movement and moving these #%$# again! After turn or two I decided to move only with few guys... To make it shorter and easier.

It was begining of March 2040. Sonars detected very small sized USO. I send one armed flying sub. After a few minutes sub downed USO. I got only 5 soldiers at base. They were good, because they were only ones who survived 2 past months. I did send 'em to crash landed USO. After short checking equipment I decided to headout. Transport's doors opened and aquanaut made few steps. Then he saw it! Big yellow sonuva bitch with few arms. LOBSETRMAN! - I thought. Then I recall all those posts... "THIS ^%$^$ JUST DONT WANT DIE", "Lobsterman is supposed to be TFTD Mutan Man but Lobsterman just don't die", "I lost 5 aquanauts trying to stun one"... That all scared me a little so aquanaut get back to the sub. In next turn I checked my soldiers equipment, changed when required, and then go out. No trace of Lobster. Well carefully aquanaut made another few steps. He saw creature again, but he hadn't enough TUs to shot so he kneeled. Another few aquanauts were just before behind him. Fortunately creature didn't noticed movement somewhere behind it and didn't shoot at soldiers. Next Turn begins. Aquanaut gets up and start marching towards last known Lobsters location. Another few steps in cold water of Atlantic Ocean. Again he see yellow terrible monster. Its right inside some crashed long time ago galleon. Aquanauts buddies are right behind him. Again he have to kneel. Creature disappears in dark water. Then he gets up again. Making few steps inside galleon. No trace of monster. His pal with Gas Cannon geting nervous. Turn Ends. Before surprised humans Lobsterman appears, look at them and then go back to place where he came from. Turn Begins. Aquanaut carefull go to place where Lobster disappeard. He saw creature standing few meters away galleon and looking on its crashed USO. Aquanaut equiped with Gas Cannon fires phosphor ammo to alien. HIT! Lobster is standing in blazes calm. Another Aquanaut equiped with same ammo and weapon fires. Same situation. Three remaining aquanauts are hanging somwhere behind two gunners. Turn ends. Lobster throw something too humans. Explodes! Two dead bodies lying in place where aquanauts were standing. Their three buddies carefully came closer. One of 'em, closest to explosion point, saw creature. Equiped only with Jet Harpoon aquanaut shoot 6 times towards alien. 4 shots hit him but he was still remaining calm. Turn Ends. Lobster gets closer to aquanaut and hit him few times. Fortunately aquanaut survived it. "Ok, I'll die, but Im gonna take you with me!" he said and took Sonic Pulser from his belt. Then set on 0. Great explosion ripped aquanaut to the pieces. Creature survived. Two remaining aquanauts decided to blow the moster up. One of 'em, closer to alien took one Sonic Pulsar and primed. Then throwed too the alien. Yellow nightmare returned fire and kiled tosser. Second, and last, aquanaut took two Sonic Pulsers and armed 'em. Turn Ends. Explosion. No sound of death. Turn Begins. Last aquanaut made few steps towards last known Lobster's position. He saw him, then threw both grenades. "At least I'll have bastard's corpse" I thought. Turn Ends. Explosion! Lobster dies. Explosion! Body disappears.

- My first encounter with Lobsterman

• 1 year later...