XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Dead Troopers

Guest Azrael Strife

well, i would prefer to die a glorious death, and then be reincarnated as a new sergeant blehm, but the game won't let it happen normally, unless you wish to edit the stuff

ranks only impact is morale i think

• 10 months later...

Hi All,

It may sound over-dramatic, but I don't bring my members back to life. I have a list of all my real-life friends and (cool) family members after whom I name my XCOM agents. Every agent is someone I care about in real life (lucky I have enough friends & family to have enough for all my agents!). Some of them aren't close friends per se, but are people like my Judo and Aikido teachers, and fellow students from those classes, classmates I like at school - that sort of thing.

And when they die, they die. It's very sad.

When someone dies in XCOM, I put a note beside them on the paper list I keep. And it feels terrible, almost as if they died in real life! Many of my friends will ask me from time to time, "So how am I doing in XCOM?" And when I tell them of others (whom they know) who died, some of them are actually disappointed: "Oh no - Macy died? Noooo!"

So there you have it. I don't resurrect the beloved Fallen, because it makes me play all the more carefully, and, to be honest, introduces a higher level of terror to the game. It raises the stakes to almost a real level, and makes all the XCOMs so compelling.

But then again, eventually I'll start a new game, and everyone comes back to the beginning. :-)

• 4 months later...

If you put your goons (androids) in front, they'll get the brunt of the fire. Who cares if they die? Droids are cheap.

Unlike the other X-Com games, you can recover the armor off of lost agents. So don't feel bad about using a droid in disruptor armor as your decoy. Just get him running back and forth to draw fire away from your valuable guys.

While I hate losing agents as well, I have to agree. Androids are you friends - they can do all the mucky jobs while your humans and hybrids can take it easy and train up to the point that just one of them can level the entire playing field flat at a whim. So let the androids take the hits, they don't mind. They don't need to be at full health to be at peak fighting form like the other races.

By keeping your humans and hybrids healthy, they get to make use of the training labs they're assigned to. So even if they don't participate actively in the battle all that often, they'll still reap the benefits . I'm ashamed to say that I once got a soldier maxed this way who'd only participated on a few mission (compared to another, who did it the hard way through 70+ missions). ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I always end up replacing all human soldiers with android squads, good skills and they don't suffer from psionic attacks (psimorphs and micronoids turn into harmless puppies)

Androids are simply the best, better then all the rest.

Who needs accuracy when you can blitz towards an enemy dual-wielding disruptors (dual wielding devestators be overkill), launch long range grenades, be incredibly fast and carry c**ploads of explosives while having bags of health to boot? Not to mention the psi immunity

The only improvement which really makes a difference in RealTime for humans is accuracy and the pro's of the androids do outweigh a lot of the cons of starting humans. Normally my best agents are androids, able to take on amazing odds. (First mission can be done with just one android....heh heh brainsuckers.....)

Simply said androids rule. As well as being easily replaced with a similar standard.