XCOMUFO & Xenocide

An Idea To Throw Around

JoeJoe

Tournements are hard to hold.

Any type of Clan interaction is hard to have.

Keeping track of victories can be tricky.

Players want more then just meaningless battles.

Lets make it simple:::

Taking ideas that i have read, ones that I tried to implement in the past, and new thoughts, I'm gonna throw this idea out there for anyone who wants to poke at it.

- Humans VS Aliens

- There is one "staff" member who commands each side (so that these commanding players are consistant)

- Each side fights for control over "zones". Each zone is represented by a different type of terrain.

- Players of each side are differentiated by either an {H} (humans) or {A} (aliens) before their name.

- Any player can challenge a rival player to a battle on a certain type of terrain. They fight, the battle outcome is of course recorded automaticly. This info can be retreived and recorded quite easily.

- Winning gains control in that "zone". The more wins for each side, the more control.

Thats it.

Basicly you join a side, alien or human.

You fight the opposite side any time you want, vs whomever you want. The outcome can easily be recorded by a staff member a few times a week, and then the progress can easily be updated on a spiffy looking website.

Only players who have their name signed up with the website will be noticed when collecting the battle data.

I know this makes a lot more sense to me because i wrote it, so hit me with any questions you may have. Its pretty simple, but Im sure that this system will work for both the involved players, as well as the casual player.

I like the idea very much.

HOWEVER: Does that mean that human side is not allowed to use weapons such as plasma, alien greande etc. ?

Hopefully it will be outbalanced in terms of players. I surely will join the human side!

I like that idea but few things needs to be resolved.

Human versus alien battle is out of balance except if played on 10k. Only then aliens can have advantage of more units (even then is questionable).

Maybe this alien vs human is not needed at all. Concept from XCom appocalypse may be better for this purpose. Every player (or clan) can be one corporation (or gang) battling for control of the city (city is easier to implement then world map).

If server can keep record of how many k was spent on battle, that can be deducted from funds one corporation have. Funds are increased with having control of larger part of the city.

That's my comment. I hope we can mape this game more then just random deathmatch.

The idea of Humans vs. Aliens is perfect i really like it =b, maybe a good thing wuld be to have a map with territories that all players can see which side has bigger dominancy

I would certainly join the alien side :icon_alien:

Edited by Neithan

There will be some ballance issues:

- the Human side has the armor advantage

- humans with lasers can beat aliens easily still

- a good balance would be 10k battles for aliens

Problems:

- you won't be able to keep track if people are actually bringing only aliens or humans

- some people bring mixes of aliens and humans (me :Blush:)

- just because you don't see an alien during your battle...doesn't mean they didn't have one because they could be well hidden

Sorry for the nitpicking but just hammering these issues out. :order:

Problems:

- you won't be able to keep track if people are actually bringing only aliens or humans

- some people bring mixes of aliens and humans (me :Blush:)

- just because you don't see an alien during your battle...doesn't mean they didn't have one because they could be well hidden

my suggestion is that if someone is caught mixing the squad he will be automatically withdrawn from the Aliens vs. Humans saga or what ever the name of the project would be :D but i hope kind of this cheating ppl would not sign up

Very true about the 10k

I play all aliens and the only advantage is strength in numbers. (i wouldnt say only, but it definitly is one of the bigger advantages)

I would love to implement an Apoc style, but I think at this point there is not enough support for such a thing.

To prevent mixing, perhaps we could offer a set of downloadable squads that must be used be each side?

There would be a map that would show the progress and control that each side has.

check this link out to view a concept http://ebfangame.bizhat.com/map1.swf

Its good to bang out the kinks! so keep the feedback coming!

Edited by JoeJoe

To prevent mixing, perhaps we could offer a set of downloadable squads that must be used be each side?

People can always edit those units. Nice thought, but there really is no way around this situation. Best thing is to claim what side you are on...whether you have what unit or not. I mean, humans could of brain washed many mutons/sectoids for their side and vice versa :devillaugh:

Edited by Kratos

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't you just have the server record the team entries?

All the game would have to do is to check whether the used team configs are all human/alien and if there's the right letter in front of the players' names.

If so, it would mark the game as "HvsA Scenario Battle" and record it as such.

When some of the new alien concepts get implemented, the aliens could have some with higher armour (eg Muton Commanders) to balance things.

• 2 months later...