XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Problem Starting Up X-com On Dosbox

Hey, I am having a problem starting up the game on DosBox. I am doing the following:

Z:\>mount c c:\xcom

Z:\>c:

C:\>

This is where I am stuck. In the xcom folder, there are so many files and folders. Which one am i supposed to type in here? I've played the game plenty about a year ago, and I have simply forgotten exactly how I did this.

Thanks in advance.

If you got the game on a cd disc, you copy the disc to the harddrive, simply mark the files, then drag and drop to a folder of your choosing.

Anyone know how to get the sound working?

Edited by Tokk

Made alot of progress, thanks guys. What I did was...

mount c c:\xcom

c:

small

The game starts up. The problem is, I have no sound. I've checked out the "Getting DosBox Version To Work" topic, and when I try to change the dosbox.conf file like what it says in that topic, it won't let me save it. It tells me that I "cannot create the file" and to "make sure the path file and name" are correct.

Also, is it 100% impossible to get sound working for this game's dosbox version sound to work?

EDIT: Ok, well I finally was able to change the dosbox.conf file to what it says in that topic, so thats not a problem anymore. I guess the only problem is getting the sound to work. If ANYONE has ANY suggestions, help would be appreciated greatly, thanks.

Edited by 7neal

I'm running this game in Dosbox as well, and it ran... well, right out of the box. However, what I do is I have a folder called dos, and that gets mounted as my C: drive.

So I go:

Mount c c:\dos

C:

cd\ufo

And then I run the game. Works like a charm.

I simplify the step even further and put those commands at the end of the dosbox.conf file (in the autoexec section), so it does all the drive mounting the moment I start dosbox. Having to mount and setup all your drives is time consuming if you have to do it every time! Another option is to make some batch files - which works better if you want different setups for different dos games.

--

Regarding the sound, after you've set the dosbox settings, have you set the game's sound settings to match up with it? Basically type SETUP in the game directory.

In the setup screen, pick SoundBlaster or SoundBlaster Pro (for stereo) and then set the base port to 220, IRQ to 5 and DMA to 1. Of course, if you set different Port, IRQ and DMA settings in the dosbox config file from that ones I mentioned, use those instead. There'll be a few other options that you can set to your preference. For the music, SB/Adlib works the best on most generic soundcards.

If you're picking the SB Pro and that's not working, try going for the older SoundBlaster instead and see if that helps. This is a solution used more in sorting out X-Com Apocalypse's sound problems than in UFO/TFTD, but worth trying.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

after installing 1,2 i get the sound to work, i think, but after giving the game the right code it locks up..

Never mind, i got it to work wiht version 1.0 by using the ufocd file to start up the game.

Edited by Tokk

• 5 weeks later...
I simplify the step even further and put those commands at the end of the dosbox.conf file (in the autoexec section), so it does all the drive mounting the moment I start dosbox. Having to mount and setup all your drives is time consuming if you have to do it every time! Another option is to make some batch files - which works better if you want different setups for different dos games.

I go even a step further. Since v0.70, DOSBox allows for multiple config files to be declared in the shortcut.

So what I do is make a copy of the DOSBox shortcut and put this in the "target element" box:

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.conf" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\Configs\Ufo.conf" -noconsole

Dosbox.conf has the following under [autoexec]:

@mount c f:\dosgames\shorted -freesize 700

@SET Sound=C:\SB\SBPRO

@C:

cls

Ufo.conf has the following:

[sdl]

fullresolution=1024x768

windowresolution=800x600

output=ddraw

sensitivity=100

[dosbox]

language=

machine=vga

captures=capture

memsize=16

[render]

frameskip=1

aspect=true

scaler=advinterp2x

[cpu]

core=dynamic

cycles=18000

cycleup=1000

cycledown=1000

[autoexec]

@cd Ufo

@Ufocd

And Ufocd.bat itself has been modified this way:

@echo off

cls

%1ufoexe\black

%1sound\sndstart

%1intro %1

%1ufoexe\black

%1ufoexe\geoscape "0" %1

if errorlevel 2 goto begin

goto end

:begin

%1ufoexe\black

%1ufo2exe\tactical "1" %1

:geo

%1ufoexe\black

%1ufoexe\geoscape "1" %1

if errorlevel 2 goto begin

:end

%1sound\sndend

exit

What's the result? Why, my dear Watson... I double-click on the UFO: Enemy Unknown shortcut on my desktop, DOSBox starts up without the status window, immediately launching UFO and closing itself when I exit the game.

Same thing can be done for TFTD and a lot of other games - I've got over a hundred different ones set up in this fashion.

• 3 years later...

I didn't want to start a new topic so I used a similar one.

I downloaded the DOS version of X-COM from Free Game Empire because I wanted to run v1.2 with with the original sound files. I got the UFO Enemy Unknown update (v1.0 to 1.2) from XCOMUFO, extracted then copied the files into my "C:\DOS Games\UFO\" directory. I then launched DOSBox and ran the UPDATE.BAT file in order to update the game to v1.2. After that I ran SETUP.EXE to get sound working, then ran UFO.BAT. The game launches and the intro plays, (the sounds are much better than I'm use to with Enemy Unknown CE), then it's time to input the correct code. I input the correct code and hit enter, the game seems to pause and I can no longer move the mouse around. Here's a picture...

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7046/ufodefense12.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm on an older HP Pavilion Laptop with an...

ATI Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 128mb IGP series AGP

Intel Pentium IV 3GHz Dual Core

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

DirectX 9.0c

Windows XP SP3

DOSBox 0.74

[autoexec]

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

mount e "C:\Dos Games\"

E:\

dir

• 3 weeks later...

Not long after I got a copy of UFO Defense from DopeROMs. The install is v1.2 so I don't have update it, unless I want to use v1.4. It runs great and doesn't have that problem after entering the page code.

[autoexec]

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

mount F D:\ -t cdrom

mount E "C:\DOSGAMES\"

E: