XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Just thinking that maybe research of Alien technology might not be as cut-and-dry as it is in X-Com. For the higher difficulty levels, setbacks in both funding and time can be implemented.

For example, what happens if the Alien Grenade they're researching accidentally activates? The facility's trashed and the scientists are casualties. Some things are safer to research than others, but there's lots of ways to hinder the player:

- The chance of the research object of irreparably breaking (and therefore lost) and research only continues if there are more in stock. Want to sell all but one of those mind probes? Well, too bad, it just broke, and research can't progress until there's another one.

- The chance of a reseach object of catastrophically failing, resulting in the loss of some scientists and, worst case, the laboratory facility.

- Some Alien races might harbor exotic bacteria that initiate a disease outbreak that slows the functions of the entire base's personnel.

- Accidents in Engineering cause the loss of some Technicians, possible loss of some materials, and possibly setting back the projected completion date.

I'm still fleshing this idea out.

-Asty

That would.... be sooo annoying, imagine the hard-to-get Ethereal Commander dies of a disease when you get it. Or that blaster launcher that wiped out ten of your soldier gets broken when you get to base.......

That would.... be sooo annoying, imagine the hard-to-get Ethereal Commander dies of a disease when you get it. Or that blaster launcher that wiped out ten of your soldier gets broken when you get to base.......

It definitely would! But people who play "Superhuman" should expect a tough game! :devillaugh:

I would assume the facilities are designed for such accidents and more.  I am guessing a lot of the research is by remote rather than standing over the alien grenade("WHat does this pin do?").

Hm, that's a good point... so mainly facility damage (slows research for a limited time)?

But you could argue that whoever drew up the blueprints couldn't really anticipate the destructive capacity of Alien-based weaponry ("Dang, that Alien grenade is SOOOO much more powerful than ours- I didn't expect it to take out that reinforced wall!")

• 2 months later...
I said it before... and i will say it againg... At this rate superhuman would so impossible to beat that we will have to add some sort of bonus to reward the player in beating the game on super human...