XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Highres Tileset

Voller

Hi Everyone,

I got a little bored, so I decided to play around with tiles a little. I "modified" nappes moonbase tileset. Modified meaning that I replaced the tiles that are used in the map one by one (just the pictures) with something similar. So map and .lua are still the same, it just looks a little different. Basically I just replaced the moonbase.png with something else.

You'll have to replace the moonbase.png yourselves to look at the tileset, I'm afraid, cause I didn't know how to properly add a new one.

Also I'm aware that nappes' original tileset and map aren't actually finished and the amount of tiles he used is therefore a little limited. Since I didn't modify his map, some of the transitions between different tiles are rather abrubt and don't look too well (exterior - interior, ramp - floor etc.). Also I wanted to finish quickly and show you guys, so I didn't bother replacing any of the "broken" tiles. Just try not to blow too much up ;)

Sooo...enjoy :)

Feedback is always welcome

Voller

post-9446-1146863953_thumb.png

post-9446-1147110962_thumb.png

Edited by Voller

Thanks. I guess I wouldn't mind making a few more of those :)

Would it make sense to make a low resolution tileset at this point or are you guys thinking of implementing higher resolution ones any time soon?

Voller

I don't think the engine currently supports hires tiles, but then again that's mostly because no one has gotten around to actually make any hires tilesets yet. Those tiles look like they were 3D rendered, so I guess it won't be much extra trouble to render them in a higher resolution? If you just do that, I'm sure someone will get motivated to code the in-game support for them.

That's correct. I did render them. Doing it again shouldn't be too much more than another cut and paste job. Although, if it is a higher resolution I should probably add some more detail. Also the transitions between the ground tiles won't be as easy, because I can't hide behind the lousy resolution anymore :P

A provisional tileset shouldn't take too long though and I suppose I can always improve it afterwards.

So I could give it a go if you want. What size should I make the tiles? Triple?

Oh and Nappes, I think there is a small bug in your map. When I was exchanging the tiles, I had blue bits coming out of my walls on the second floor. I think you might have put in some of the walls twice.

Voller

that is correct, a few tiles are too close - its easy enough to fix. Very nice desert look by the way, i tried my own hand at a desert and it ended up looking like a landscape made entirely out of weetbix! keep up the good work!

Right, that's what it looks like so far. Any comments/suggestions?

@Nappes: Second floor in the building on moonbase: Two of the north eastern walls are both, normal wall and wall with a light at the same time. I think it is the one next to the oxygen tank and the one below the window. You probably put one of them as "north" and the other as "content".

Voller

post-9446-1147705723_thumb.png

haha! glad you like them :)

Personally I think that some of them are too smooth and clean. But I'm not worrying about that for now. I'll try to get it "complete" first and will worry about the details afterwards.

Voller

Right, that's what it looks like so far. Any comments/suggestions?

@Nappes: Second floor in the building on moonbase: Two of the north eastern walls are both, normal wall and wall with a light at the same time. I think it is the one next to the oxygen tank and the one below the window. You probably put one of them as "north" and the other as "content".

Voller

The floor there reminds me of Outpost. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Yes, I'm still working on it. I actually intended to make the ground more irregular and three dimensional looking, but it turned out that it wouldn't have fit together properly without changing the map slightly. So I decided to keep it simple for now. Just need to add a couple of stones and craters and stuff and then I should be finished.

This is what it looks like so far:

post-9446-1149291494_thumb.png

256 tiles... SIGH

256 tiles... SIGH

254 actually LOL

The engine itself is not really limited to 254... it's the .MAP format.

Having a LUA replacement, which is needed, would solve the problem.

I propose this structure :

mapWidth = int8
mapHeight = int8
mapDepth = int8
mapData = Array[ mapDepth ] [ mapHeight ] [ mapWidth ] [ floor int16, obj int16, wall int16, wall int16]

So mapdata is a 4 dimension Array of structured data.

Maps are composed of levels, which are composed of rows, which are composed of columns, which are composed of 4 tile numbers, ranging from 1 to 65536. (Yes Hobbes, 65534 but I DOUBT this makes a difference)

With this structure, since rows would be discernable, it would be easier to make an editor and would even be relatively easy to manually edit the mapData.

Edited by nachtwolf

Ok then. Looks like my job is done for now. The tileset is as complete as the one I made previously. All the tiles are there when the map is loaded, but some might spontaneously disappear when they get blown up. Will update the thing once it is usable.

Now it's over to somebody else. Anybody willing to implement this thing?

post-9446-1150117642_thumb.png

post-9446-1150117670_thumb.png

Hopefully the changes ive been making to mapview and pckview will make implementing this much easier. It should also allow the ufo2000 team to make changes on their own schedule instead of waiting for me.

Ok then. Looks like my job is done for now. The tileset is as complete as the one I made previously. All the tiles are there when the map is loaded, but some might spontaneously disappear when they get blown up. Will update the thing once it is usable.

Thanks, it looks great =b

It will take some time before getting into the game as we have some other issues to solve first though. But it it will not be lost for sure. I have set this issue as 'sticky': http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/mantis/view.php?id=496

Hopefully the changes ive been making to mapview and pckview will make implementing this much easier. It should also allow the ufo2000 team to make changes on their own schedule instead of waiting for me.

I'll just take a chance to ask you once again about the possibility of opening the sources of mapview. It would definitely save some amount of dumb work reimplementing its functionality from scratch.

Thanks, it looks great  =b

It will take some time before getting into the game as we have some other issues to solve first though. But it it will not be lost for sure. I have set this issue as 'sticky': http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/mantis/view.php?id=496

Thanks Serge! I was beginning to wonder if my work was all in vain ;)

I'll just take a chance to ask you once again about the possibility of opening the sources of mapview. It would definitely save some amount of dumb work reimplementing its functionality from scratch.

It is moving in that direction. I've opened up a sourceforge account and once I'm happy with the organization of the code and its ease of extendability it will be opened up as a project there.

its great to hear that we might be moving in the direction of a mep editor thatl let us use the ufo2k functionality - long way to go yet but at least we finally have hope :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks! Didn't think somebody would dig that old thread out again :P

Unfortunately it will take some time until any coding is done for it, because the next stable release of ufo2000 has priority. And god/serge knows when that will be.