XCOMUFO & Xenocide

PRG-Soldier Name Generation

ShadowHawk

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SURE! But do you want to make it THAT realistic??

I think that just plain impossible, the UN counts 191 countries , if you want to take names from every country..... That's why i made this rough scheme. Do you agree with it? Or do you have any suggestions?

How about splitting those 20 that the East got and give that 10 to the North?

What to do then is have a regionlist followed by a country list and those countries can inherit from the region if they want to. We eventually plan to include every country on the geoscope I think.

Guest stewart

I just had a idea for a "game mode", you make one of the soldiers "you" as it were. If this one soldier dies your game is over. Now in order to force you to not only use this soldier but put them at risk, what you can do in the game depends on the rank of this soldier, and soldiers only climb the ranks by being active. Once you are the commander well you can sit at your desk, all nice and safe and conduct the war effort (which is fine, it's realistic afterall). But you'd have to fight in a base invasion.

I don't know yet how to make it logical from a story point of view though but wouldn't that be neat?

Sorry to be a bother, but i don't understand where to get the database from.... this doesn't ring me a bell: [email protected]:/cvsroot/xenocide checkout data

i don't have an account or anything at sourceforge....

you'll have to download a cvs client if you're not on unix. and you can get stuff via anonymous checkout or member checkout.

Guest stewart
Uh . . . . look up table?

Dont know what you mean about a look up table?... It will be a First Name and Last Name database with attributes like origin and that.

Greetings

Red Knight

Sorry, I was half asleep there, for some reason I thought people were discussing ways to calculate names. :wacko:

Ok, Gangsta told me you needed names, so I dug up some websites to help...

Armenian

http://feefhs.org/am/am-male.html

(Male, female and surnames)

Various:

http://jas.family.go.com/babynamer?page=SearchForm

(Lots of ethnicities, but limited names)

Various:

http://www.babynameworld.com/

(Good site, with a large list of names)

Various:

http://www.parenthood.com/parent_cfmfiles/...s/babynames.cfm

(A decent site, with a good sized list of names and origins)

Hope these help. The search continues.

Guest stewart

Here's the one I used to name my lil runt.

Baby Name Site

It's got loads of filters that you can apply and about 30 ethnicities.

There's anouther site called Kalabarian which clains to have the largest database 500k names, they're probably right about the number but the site is garbage. Anyone can enter a name into the datebase. I'll put it this way, I think, "fvck" is in there as a name.

Ok i have seen the database so far (with the spanish names). I'll start working on some northern European countries now.

These are the names we are going to need, if we follow my setup....

The Spanish are already done by flois (is that Red Knight??).

These names will be distributed along continents. For example the 100 spanish names will be divided into 20 for Europe and 80 for South America.

If anybody feels he/she can contribute names from a specific language please let me know.

Language……….. Total 600

English…………… 170

Spanish………….. 100

French……………. 30

German………….. 30

Italian……………. 10

Portugese………. 40

Russian………….. 50

African…………… 20

Jewish……………. 10

Eastern Eur. …… 10

North. Eur......... 10

Arabic…………….. 20

Japanese………… 40

Chinese………….. 20

Indonesian……… 10

Other……………… 30

The category other will be names from our small homelands, which probably won't be done seperately

Red Knight or any other admin, could you give me a sourceforge account? So that i can contribute my posts of names.

Yeap thats me.

Red Knight or any other admin, could you give me a sourceforge account? So that i can contribute my posts of names.

You have to take your own account on sourceforge, we can only add you to the project to have CVS Access... By the way just send it to me floisATmadryn.com.ar and i will upload it.

Greetings

Red Knight

Ok i have seen the database so far (with the spanish names). I'll start working on some northern European countries now.

These names will be distributed along continents. For example the 100 spanish names will be divided into 20 for Europe and 80 for South America.

If anybody feels he/she can contribute names from a specific language please let me know.

Language……….. Total 600

English…………… 170

Spanish………….. 100

French……………. 30

German………….. 30

Italian……………. 10

Portugese………. 40

Russian………….. 50

African…………… 20

Jewish……………. 10

Eastern Eur. …… 10

North. Eur......... 10

Arabic…………….. 20

Japanese………… 40

Chinese………….. 20

Indonesian……… 10

Other……………… 30

The category other will be names from our small homelands, which probably won't be done seperately

Why so many english and spanish? Why not even it out a bit? It's not like those two represents 1/3 of the UN countries.

America alone funds 22 percent of the total UN budget.

Further

Great brittain/Australia/New-Zealand, keep going.

And spanish is spoken by more than 300 million people in the world.

Well maybe i'll even it down a bit. It is just that red knight had already 100 spanish names, and i thought it pitty to drop those. But it is just a guide.

Those were 60 names and 60 lastnames.

And I guess we all wanted more names then in the original. I mean from your numbers N. Europe (others to but i feel for this region :D) gets a total of 10 names, which becomes 2 names / country... not much... why not have equal numbers on all and just have different probabilities? And no, not 90/10!

What about having a look on the current UN troops and base it on that rather than funding?

Well i'm flexible, but i just wanted to make a start, cause we can argue about which country should have more names etc... I'm from Northern Europe, so i care for them us as well.

I only don't understand, why you'd want to put in 1000 names from denmark, if you're only going to use a chance of 1/1000 for it to be picked.

OKOK i'm exaggerating

What's the opinion of others out there??

Well i'm flexible, but i just wanted to make a start, cause we can argue about which country should have more names etc... I'm from Northern Europe, so i care for them us as well.

I only don't understand, why you'd want to put in 1000 names from denmark, if you're only going to use a chance of 1/1000 for it to be picked.

OKOK i'm exaggerating

What's the opinion of others out there??

Why not just have it TOTALLY random? Problem solved! :D

Cause i thought we wanted soldiers with names from where they are recruited.

Besides we don't want a blonde babe called Achmed Aziz..... That's why they need attributes like "country" (or more simple, like i want it, just north/south-"continent")

Cause i thought we wanted soldiers with names from where they are recruited. 

Besides we don't want a blonde babe called Achmed Aziz..... That's why they need attributes like "country" (or more simple, like i want it, just north/south-"continent")

Well, i didn't mean THAT random (my bad, i know). I just meant an equal chance of getting a American as the chance of getting a Swede or Estonian or Danish or whatever... WHOever...

What's wrong with a lot of countries? Sure more writing but much better when its done.

I think this is another category of "as long as we say it is so, they will believe". If we say the UN is the one's behind the group, and that the soldiers are from everywhere, I don't think anyone will complain about their names. (I don't think I'm gonna be sitting there saying to myself "you know achmed aziz....I know you can shoot the dots of a dice at 600 yards, but i would much rather you be named _____________" In fact, I don't even think people will bother to realize that equal probabilities for all names is not realistic.

I think this is another category of "as long as we say it is so, they will believe".  If we say the UN is the one's behind the group, and that the soldiers are from everywhere, I don't think anyone will complain about their names.  (I don't think I'm gonna be sitting there saying to myself "you know achmed aziz....I know you can shoot the dots of a dice at 600 yards, but i would much rather you be named _____________"  In fact, I don't even think people will bother to realize that equal probabilities for all names is not realistic.

Agreed. That's what i intended to say before, when i said that for me estonian and russian names sound the same.... Sorry about that FE! But it's the same point.

As long as we have a nice diversity in names it is fine by me. Is there anybody who wants to make it more ellaborate?

If not, i'll even the % a little more (not entirely though).

Do we still want European recruits at an European base?? Or do we drop that idea as well?

Do we still want European recruits at an European base?? Or do we drop that idea as well?

Why not? Sounds realistic. (this is pro-european names in european bases in case you read it wrong...)

America alone funds 22 percent of the total UN budget.

Further

Great brittain/Australia/New-Zealand, keep going.

And spanish is spoken by more than 300 million people in the world.

Well maybe i'll even it down a bit. It is just that red knight had already 100 spanish names, and i thought it pitty to drop those. But it is just a guide.

don't even it down.. if people want more other names they can contribute.. also just cause there like over a 100 spanish names for example doesn't effect the likely hood of a spanish name being picked.. the algortih is more as follows

language = getRandomLanguage();

name = getRandomName(language);

actually the algorithm is going to be slightly diffrent but that's the basic idea. :) anyway, let the programmers worry about how to make the probabilities work out. Things like reducing the number of spanish names in the database is not a good idea when it comes to evening out probabilities and us programmers are trained on how to do it right.

I agree, cause, troops can be stationed troughout the entire world.

Second it's more fun, because else you won't see other than european names, cause most people have their first base in the swiss alps (and that's my only soldier-base troughout the game)

Well i'm just continuing gathering names. I'll send my first couple (german and french) to red knight for inspection, he'll know what to do with the probabilities.

Agreed. That's what i intended to say before, when i said that for me estonian and russian names sound the same.... Sorry about that FE! But it's the same point.

ok i've had just about enuff of this s.hit!!! have u ever seen a really mad estonian? NO, you have not!! a mad estonian looks like a hyprid of a horny bunny, a wannabi bad arse gangsta and a chicken stew with so bad attitude that you can almost smell it!! :angry:

*okay okay got a bit carried away here...though LMAO*

so far i have collected only a little over 40 russian male first names :), but i have a good source from where to choose the rest (the ones that are imo mo common)...a TOP SECRET kinda source!

btw ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!! :devilsmile:

I agree, cause, troops can be stationed troughout the entire world.

Second it's more fun, because else you won't see other than european names, cause most people have their first base in the swiss alps (and that's my only soldier-base troughout the game)

Well i'm just continuing gathering names. I'll send my first couple (german and french) to red knight for inspection, he'll know what to do with the probabilities.

Good work, the changes had been added to the CVS everybody should checkout again the data before continue.

Greetings

Red Knight

Allright people,

I'm going to sleep now, Tommorrow i'll continue along the same way with another language and maybe i'll expand german and french a bit.

Just one more question.

I was wondering what the limits are for the characters. Just the plain charachters or are ë, á, ç, etc also possible?? The xml of course displays it properly, but what about the ingame display? There will be more different characters like o with slash etc.

well :) the database has nothing ot do with what country a soldier will get picked from. Say that there was only 1 name in the spanish part of the database and the random country was mexico then that name would get picked. It doesn't matter if there is 1 name or a million names in spanish the same probability will stil exist that a randomly picked soldier will come from mexico. So evening out the database is useless. :) We got some professional programmers for this project so you can expect professional code design. Furthermore, I want to eventually design the system so you can set the percentages of which country a specific base will hire from. And another thing is in the multiplayer mode known as Fight For Freedom a base does not hire according to those UN rules either and instead gets its soldier from the regional area. (people are more resistance fighters in that mode). Needless to say you can expect the soldier hiring algorithm to be quite flexible when it is all done. Really this was a programming design thing about the hiring process and the current developing team is quite good at these things. :)

as for putting more names for the diffrent ethnic groups in the database that will happen.. if someone from india complains about the indian names not being random enough we can ask him for a sample and update the database. That is the nature of opensource projects such as this one.

Are people still working on this?  Btw there does not need to be a discussion going on here if the proper people who are working on the namelist have CVS access.

umm...im sorta working on it :D and i have the account though i do not know what to do with it guess i havent been paying attention :(

Yes, i'm planning to continue, just had (have) a busy week. I'm in the project, but also don't know how to work with CVS. But i'll find out.

Just leave the subject open, there is nno reason to close it.

Well go to sourceforge and read the docs on installing SSH and CVS. You'll be installing putty for SSH and WinCVS for CVS. Now once you get to WinCVS you just want to install it so that it is on your system. Don't bother messing with the settings because non of us have been able to figure out how to configure. instead you want to use CVS from the command line and RK has posted a message on how to do this in the programming forum.

BTW, there no need for the comment about not closing this subject. :P Stewy, RK and me have all agreed that the project needs to be administrated in a more professional way to get more work done. That just how things are done in a professional enviornment.

Ok guys now back on topic how do you guys suggest we generate the names for all the x-com 1 aliens and for the HWPs. Anyway, think star control here that game generated names for all the aliens all in a certain style. Or think RPG where elves have elvish names and dwarves have dwarvish names. :)

Ok guys now back on topic how do you guys suggest we generate the names for all the x-com 1 aliens and for the HWPs.  Anyway, think star control here that game generated names for all the aliens all in a certain style.  Or think RPG where elves have elvish names and dwarves have dwarvish names. :)

Do you really think it's a good idea to give HWPs and aliens individial names?

So serial numbers for HWPs and names like Zetamorphloid for aliens? :)

well you being an D&D fan should know that each race has a diffrent naming style. Like Elves have a certain naming style and dwarves have another and orcs and so forth. :) anyway maybe the name of a muton is grrrarggg.. :P not suggesting that ;) but well ya get the point. and doing this really isn't that hard.

So serial numbers for HWPs and names like Zetamorphloid for aliens? :)

well you being an D&D fan should know that each race has a diffrent naming style. Like Elves have a certain naming style and dwarves have another and orcs and so forth. :) anyway maybe the name of a muton is grrrarggg.. :P not suggesting that ;) but well ya get the point. and doing this really isn't that hard.

You dont know the aliens in the battlefield... theres no need to give them names... not to mention that it spoils the unknown property of the aliens.

Greetings

Red Knight