XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Things That Arent Good On Ufo2000.......

LDZ

bigger maps are needed..... 10x10 this would help to nullify explosive power unless people started playing 35k games. on a 10x10 map with a 15k game.....any pot shots at black areas would be very lucky to hit troops. on a 5x5 its kind of like "well if hes not there then he must be there...BOOM BOOM"

the default setting for "prefer enlarged graphics" is totally awful. change this default setting now!!!!!!!!!!

-cheating method removed-

but i think it may be possible also to watch replays before the game is over using same method of starting game twice on same cpu using 2 names.................this would be awful....

change the default setting of "prefer enlarged graphics" very important!! you are losing new players all the time coz of this shite setting.........................................................................

AND BIGGER MAPS..........................................................lose the 4x4 option and add a 10x10 option.

................................................................................

LDZ

Edited by Kratos

Hmmm 4x4 maps arent bad. Sometimes, when i havent got much time i play on 4x4 "no explosive" game (i always play no-explosive because explosions are too big and powerfull). If U choose goog map U can feel like SWAT commander (for example sturming the magazine in the center of map)

the default setting for "prefer enlarged graphics" is totally awful. change this default setting now!!!!!!!!!!

change the default setting of "prefer enlarged graphics" very important!! you are losing new players all the time coz of this shite setting.........................................................................

Could you enlighten me to what that setting does and what options there are?

What would you like as a default setting for it?

Could you enlighten me to what that setting does and what options there are?

What would you like as a default setting for it?

"prefer enlarged battlefield" has 2 options.... on and off .

on makes the battlefield very big and blocky and pants....

small makes it look more like the original game.......

when a new player tries the game....he is confronted by the default setting..... YES "enlarged battlefield"

it is pretty horrendous..... i would suggest you change the default setting to NO "enlarged battlefield"

also...........its easy to cheat because you can watch a replay of a game still in progress....

maybe you should fix it so you cant watch a replay until the game is truely finished........

other than that.....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

see you online

LDZ

• 1 month later...

The few times I have played UFO 2000 I only used Rifles....but that was also earlier this year(before my PC crashed :( )

What I REALLY would like to see is a "Death Match" option - if a victor has not been decided within X turns, a series of HE packs that are pre-placed and primed on the map are detonated, clearing the whole map of life. Sort of the like the "Blown Away" wrestling matches out in Japan - if a winner is not decided within X time, BOOM!

i don't think it would take too long to code 10x10 maps in, but the maps would be ugly and they would take a ridiculously long amount of time to explore. Thats 100 10x10 unit buildings, or 4 times the size of a 5v5 map

so yeah...

no

10x10 maps? Héll no! Who would play that long? Only way we'd do this is when we made godzilla units. <_>

And enlarged map setting? Chill out...is it really that hard to hit the "*" key on your numpad? Or to tell your friends...?

cheating? well it's easy to cheat when you announce the method to the damned world. You tell it to our bugtracker and put it private. Until then, put a lid on it.

10x10 is a little over the top in my opinion, but 6x6 or 7x7 should be implemented. I like explosives and a well placed grenade can work wonders. I just don't want them where my men are :P and a small map just makes it too easy to guess or even impossible to miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. If I may add some things, which, in my mind, are really bad right now, and should be corrected :

I just played a game versus my brother, on a 7*7 map. We had respectively 9 and 8 guys, each. Well, starting turn 2, we saw heck on earth. Explosions everywhere, no real safe area. I had two XAAS, my bro had one. I had a rocket launcher, he had a grenade launcher. In the end, the map was ground zero in a 2*3 area, and we only played with 10k... Seriously, those explosives turn those maps into swiss cheese. Conclusion to come, please read on :)

We both had bought sniper rifles, as we were playing on a map featuring a nice road from my end to his end, and thus offering a perfect firing line. Well, we were kinda disappointed when we found out we didn't see anybody, and most of our starting fight has been firing rockets or other HE shells on buildings which *could*, maybe, hide ennemy troops. Well, even after those preliminary razings, when we started looking for the other one at close quarters (about 10 squares is "close", for me), we had difficulties finding each other. Not because the map was too large. In fact, it was because our soldiers don't see anything after a few steps.

I'm a huge fan of Guerilla (JA2), and in this game you could see at long ranges. I'm a huge fan of UFO:EU, and UFO:TFTD. There, too, you could see far away, by daylight (maybe 30 squares, or more). Well, light factor was set to the maximum value you authorize, that is 16. The sun was indeed shining bright on the map. But our troops couldn't see each other at a distance greater than maybe 10 squares (diagonnaly speaking, so it may be about 15 or 16 squares in a straight line)

Ah, and a running guy could cover the map in a 3 to 4 turns action. I think it's quite a short size, especially as it's the largest available...

In fact, all those things are linked together to reduce enjoyment. What I mean is, you can't see far away *because* maps are small, and it would surely spoil the game to see every enemy move. But it is frustrating to have the sight range of a sick mole, and to be unable to spot somebody just crouching at the other end of a small garden. And with even such a large map, explosions, RANDOMLY FIRED EXPLOSIONS, I mean, were the deadliest weapons we had...

So, my biggest request, is to provide a chance to use BIGGER maps. I mean it, really. It would reduce the effect of explosives, as people would be much more scattered. Please remember we obtained such a carnage using only 10k money each ! Just imagine starting with over 20k on the same map... Nearly half the buildings would have been down within 2 to 3 turns...

My second request is to allow a much longer sight range. If the "light level" really is "maximum vision range", please allow for larger settings. After all, if precision is affected by range, affected enough, I mean, it shouldn't be too dangerous. And if you do not use cover, it's your fault that you're spotted easily. A minimum "selectable" range should be up to 30 squares, and it would still be short. In my mind, people should be able to see even up to 40 or 50 squares, if on clear grounds, obviously.

My third request is to lessen accordingly the chance to hit at long range, if it isn't already the case. I mean, using a pistol, you shouldn't be able to hit something at a distance of 30 squares or above, except by sheer luck. This could be emulated by setting a "range" parameter on weapons, allowing to choose them according to the layout. If you go over the weapon's range, you lose a lot of precision, for example.

Another things which seemed wierd to me are :

-Grenade lauchers fire in straight lines. They should rather act as little mortars, and thus use a lob-type trajectory. I put a "feature request" on the bug report system, on that matter.

-Weapons get destroyed really easily. I mean, I had two people in flying suits, each holding plasma snipe rifles, a spare clip for it, and a grenade. One, which was flying two levels above the ground, got hit by the side of a grenade explosion (which had occured at ground level, a few squares away), and died. Without even wondering how such a low-power explosion, on the outer edge, could kill right away a 60hp soldier in the best armor, it still amazes me I could only find the spare clip on the body. Both the grenade and the rifle had disappeared. As did a lot of the weapons, in fact, during this battle. I understand HE shots aren't the best thing to take care of material, but still, this was a low power one.

-Walls are made of cardboard. I'm aware there is a thread where it's being discussed, but I thought I could put it here too, as it's "in th mood". In fact, you can raze entire portions of a map much too easily. That a plasma cutter or some high explosives destroy anything, it's OK, it's their job. That a grenade shatters furniture, or blows through thin metal walls (storerooms', for example), or even through some parts of a house's walls, ok. It can happen. That a HE shot does quite the same at the place it hits, OK. But to do it in the ENTIRE Area Of Effect, it is really too much. I mean, what use are those fusion bombs, then ??? Or even rockets, if auto-fired shots (and two bursts a round, for six times more destruction in the same time, and keeping more than half the magazine as a bonus) can do the same job ?

-Primed grenades don't explode when the soldier holding them dies. I had primed a plasma grenade, a few squares away from an enemy guy, and set it to "0" turns. He reaction-fired just in response to the priming, and killed my guy. Where a "normal" grenade would have exploded right away, as it wasn't held secure in the hand, this one did nothing... Is it normal, doc ?

Well, that's all folks ! (for now, at least ^^)

Thanks for having had the courage to read through all this text, and I hope to read you soon !

Edited by Kzwix

IMO play Search and destroy. It is far better than regular, and it really helps to prevent explosives spamming. Try it out with someone, and i guarantee you it'll be fun