XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - XC-11 Condor

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting draft, there. I suppose that the best thing to do, though, would be to ease up a bit from the more general terminology, and give the entry a more science-class-ish approach, maybe make it a bit longer and delve into the more techical aspects of the craft. Other than that, I surely can't complain. I'll try and come back later with a more detailed opinion, as I'm a bit crunched for time at the moment. I'll be back soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you should make reference of the Alien plasma beams, after all, you get the X-11 at the beginning of the game when you have no clue what is a plasma beam.

More comments coming soon. ^_^

Okay, I checked most of the threads here, and I don't think anyone's done this yet. My first post here, so feel free to correct anything wrong (which I'm sure there'll be plenty of). Looking at everyone else's posts, I doubt this'll make it through without major editing(if it gets thru at all), but it an RD anyway, so what the hey. My modem speed (or lack of) sucks, so I didn't really get to see much of the format and stuff you're looking for. Feel free to critisize this post.

Monarch Conveyer [skyranger]

The very latest in personnel transportation, the Monarch Conveyer is capable of carrying soldiers around the world quickly and efficiently. Although it cannot engage in combat, its hull is sturdier than that of our interception craft. Even if we could somehow meld these two ships, however, the new vessel would be much too slow to stay within range of a UFO for more than a few seconds. The primary strengths of the Monarch Conveyer are its long-range capabilities and cargo space, which can support up to fourteen soldiers at one time.

When the X-Corps were established, there was quite some controlversy over its main transport. Naturally, each country wanted the glory of supplying this essential ship. Nearly every major nation in the world offered what they believed to be their best model, almost resulting in all-out war. As the X-Corps were to be the ones to use the chosen craft, the UN decided to relinquish control of this decision to them. Faced with dozens of possibilities, X-Corps leaders began to rule out choices. Soon, they were down to three options: American, Egyptian, and Japanese. Each was nearly identical, but Egypt's contestant had the greatest cargo space by a slim margin. However, its speed paled in comparison to that of the others', and it was ruled out much to the disappointment of the Egyptians. The Japanese model was then the fastest, but lacked hull integrity. Experts concluded that if it were attacked in the air, it would be easily destroyed, and its crew lost. So the American craft was accepted, greatly pleasing its government, and increasing its donations to the X-Corps cause by almost 10%.

When deployed to a battle site, the Monarch utilizes the most advanced technologies to-date, including vertical take-off and landing, instant lift-off abilities for rapid retreats, and advanced sensors able to track any target within a short radius. Upon landing, reinforced windows allow soldiers a view of their immediate surroundings, and a large exit portal permits quick positioning of troops. With all these features to offer, the Monarch Conveyer is sure to remain one of X-Corps' primary craft.

Here blehm, I took a good look at it.

XC-11 Heavy Transport Craft

The XC-11 Heavy transport craft is a modern marvel of technology. Powered by duo Fusion Engines, the XC-11 is truly a monster compared to most terrestrial craft. It has been assigned the sole purpose of transporting X-corps soldiers, and should not under any circumstances be used for anything other than transportation. Its thin titanium armor provides little protection from the alien’s heavy plasma beams, although the XC-11 is more durable than the XC-1.

--Dual instead of duo sounds better. I don’t quite like how “is truly a monster” sounds like, remember it’s supposed to be a scientific report. As I’ve already pointed out, cut the plasma beams part, when you get the xc-11 at the beginning you have no clue what is plasma. Make the last sentence a little more precise, rather than just saying that the titanium armour makes it more durable, say something like “its titanium armour, though being considerably thin, provides protection well above the range of effectiveness of that of the xc-1”, something like that.-

The XC-11 is, compared to the XC-1, a very slow slug, but the true speed of the craft is extreme for a craft of the XC-11’s size and its cargo load. It is, more or less, a flying metal box, and if it didn’t have the extreme power of its fusion engines, with both of them making up about a sixth of the entire volume of the craft, it would fly like so. The XC-11’s insides are very cramped, but there are retractable beds and seats lined along its walls. Conditions in the craft are often cold, and flying is usually the worst part of a mission. Equipment is stored in a compartment just below the roof, much like a Jet Liner. However, due to the lack of space, the fuel is place wherever there is room, including on fuel pods under the wings, inside the wings, and along the walls of the plane. This means that one good hit from a heavy plasma cannon could, theoretically, incapacitate the entire craft, although it has never managed to incapacitate it. Not one XC-11 was lost in the early days of the craft’s life, but now that the aliens are building up strength for a much larger attack, it is doubtful this will remain true.

-- Do not compare one of our ships to a slug, it’s not pretty, remember it’s rather a scientific description. Change “extreme” for something like “very quick” or such. “the speed of the xc-11, though notoriously inferior to that of the xc-1, is amazingly high for a transport of this size…” Sounds better and more scientific.

Don’t say it’s “more or less a flying metal box”, it sounds like the description made by an average person with no knowledge about aircraft.

I wasn’t aware that we had beds in our planes, do we?, not sure but doesn’t sound militaristic.

I really don’t think that flying in a cold ship is the worst part of a mission, remember the soldiers are fighting aliens, big mean aliens with a lot of big weapons.

Fuel pods inside the wings?, you should check that, doesn’t sound too good.

Remove the comment of the heavy plasma cannon hitting the vessel, we don’t know what a heavy plasma cannon is at the beginning. And the last part also, at the beginning of the game we barely know who are the aliens and whether they’re building up their forces or not, also, how do you know that no xc-11 was lost in the early days?, maybe a player loses one when on a mission, we don’t know. Keep in mind that a player might want to read the Skyranger entry before even having the first mission or first spotted UFO.

“The XC-11 is one of the best craft ever designed by human engineers, but that doesn’t mean it is comfortable. It is like flying around in a freezer.”-Sergeant Colin D. Adams

-- Do not say “human engineers”, it doesn’t sound like what a man would say, especially a soldier, we don’t refer to ourselves as humans, removing “by human engineers” will do.

The XC-11 is equipped with top-of-the-line radar technology, which is, theoretically, capable of detecting any craft within approximately 250 miles with 85 percent accuracy. It is also equipped with special ground penetrating radar, with the purpose to detect alien bases and other such installations. The XC-11 also has an advanced radar and sonar detection system mounted on its nose to present a three-dimensional holographic map of the surrounding environment displayed on the pilot’s visor. This technology is designed specifically for the pilot to be able to land the craft in a safe and suitable environment. Similar technology is used in our advanced Titan missiles to aid them in attacking the alien craft.

-- I like better “state of the art” instead of “top of the line”, but that just my preference. “Ground penetrating” does not sound too scientific, it seems a little vague.

At the early stages of the game we don’t even know there are secret underground alien bases, watch out.

I like the whole holographic map thing, but the Titan missile uses holographic maps for guidance?.

well, it really is a metal box though. Also, don't you think that the scientists would choose the best description, even if it is a bit humorous?

Also, just because the humans do not know anything about the alien plasma weaponry doesn't mean that they cannot figure out that what the ships shoot is plasma. A kinetic energy tank round uses plasma to do most of the damage to the tank.

I said the titan missile uses similar technology. It uses(i think) a sophisticated radar system. What's wrong with having a virtual map to help guide it past opsticals and such?

well, it really is a metal box though.  Also, don't you think that the scientists would choose the best description, even if it is a bit humorous?

Also, just because the humans do not know anything about the alien plasma weaponry doesn't mean that they cannot figure out that what the ships shoot is plasma.  A kinetic energy tank round uses plasma to do most of the damage to the tank.

I said the titan missile uses similar technology.  It uses(i think) a sophisticated radar system.  What's wrong with having a virtual map to help guide it past opsticals and such?

It may be humorous, but I don't think scientists would choose a humorous description for one of their ships, I was thinking about using something more sophisticated than just flying metal box.

Humans MAY assume its plasma, but they don't know it for a fact, I cannot imagine the pilots even imagining its plasma, how'd they know if they had never seen a plasma weapons in their lives? Plasma weapons do not exist on earth before the aliens come here, people don't know how a plasma blast looks like or whether an impact on something has been done by plasma or not. In descriptions the scientists will stick to what they know, if they don't know what a heavy plasma cannon is, they won't mention it.

And I don't really know about the Titan missile, I'll look into it, but I don't think it uses an holographic map system for guidence, what good would it be?, who would look at it?, the thing is automated, it receives information through sensors, processes it and reacts accordingly. There's no need for a holographic map since no one will be watching it (unless the missile is guided by a human hand)

well, we were hoping that maybe some alien craft may actually defend themselves and other craft and important objectives(aliens take washington DC to capture president, and have 6 battleships to destroy any indruders)

Of course, ONCE they had seen such a weapon, but at the beginning of the game, when you still haven't seen a UFO, you have encountered no alien craft, no aliens, no alien weaponry (and this includes plasma weapons). Since you have the xc-11 from the very beginning, the description should fit what you know at the beginning.

edit: dammit, replying to post 10

Edited by Azrael

but the x-corps are the first to research the plasma weaponry and know what it is, if any other plane has been shot by ufos, no one has discovered that the aliens were using what the x-corps have called "plasma cannons"

I would just love an UFOpedia that has sensible scientific descriptions in formal language. Leave the humour for the fluffy text in the end. That way, if someone wants to read something "scientific", he can read the description. But, if someone else is in need of some "humour" (or just wants to take a break from the battle), he can read the funny texts at the end! Everyone will be happy! ^_^

: Title, report code, and varous military security stufff

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah>

:

Edited by kafros

I would also feel that a more technical disccussion would be nicer than the competion between the countries...

Well. This went well. Please don't lynch me, I promise, I can do better! :master: :master: :master:

Anything but that whap on the head!

:hammer:

:crying: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying:

Seriously, though, that went pretty bad. Is there any way I can be kicked out? Gotta take precautions. . .anyway, I'm off to try my luck with another entry, after I CAREFULLY search for its entry on this forums. See ya!

PS- you shall never find out where I live! Try, and I will hunt you down and tear you apart like floaters! MUA-HA-HA-HA!

I would just like to quickly interject that the Xc-11 is not a heavy transport. The Starlifter and Hercules are heavy transports. The current model for the Xc-11 is more akin in size to the blackhawk helecopter. I think it is even smaller than the osprey. I would entitle it a rapid troop transport or something.

I took a look at the xc11.txt attachment and I have a few comments. Please do not take any of this personally. The critique is rather thurough but bare in mind I am only making suggestions, not condemning what you have already done. I know that this dept. is not my dept, and it is certainly not my expertise.. but I do know a lot about aircraft. It is my hope that this post inspires you.

I think that fusion engines may be a little far fetched for when xenocide takes place. I'm not really quite sure the exact year, but doesn't it take place only like 12 years in the future?

Fuel cells would not be a danger for a fusion engine. You could fly 10 times around the world on a piece of chalk using fusion power.

If I were writing it I would just say that it has adapted supercruise technology for use with low bypass turbofans.. This may sound like mumbo jumbo but the model itself looks to have turbofans on it- and they have that cowl on the front that allows air from the front fan bypass the compressor located at the rear, where the actual engine is. The super-cruisiness is where the f22 is today, and further refinements to it would lead us in a direction that is closer to where we are today.

If the display was holographic, why would it need to be in the visor of the pilot's helmet? Does the holograph project forward in front of his head or between his eyes and the visor? I would suggest using something other than a holograph... Something that immediately springs to mind is an active and passive sensors package that the computer uses to construct a virtual landscape. It displays this landscape on his visor which overlays the pilot's vision. It actively computes the postion of his head which enables it to match over what he is looking at exactly. This enables him to 'see' the ground through clouds and smoke, and even through the aircraft's hull, should he wish to. I am not sure how this would be done without trashing the pilot's eyes... perhaps it could be done with a technique similar to the single image stereogram (I actually saw a quake mod that use that technique entirely). That way the pilot could look out of the window whilst the out of focus stuff on his visor would appear to mesh with what is below..

I would avoid saying that it is very fast and very slow in the same passage. I would say that it is the fastest transport aircraft ever devised, and I would invent some number. Note that the original skyranger travelled at roughly mach 1.

Weight doesn't necessarily reduce the maneoverability of an aircraft but it would definitely affect its ability to take off vertically. No VTOL jet aircraft has yet been able to take off vertically with a full warload. This is why they are usually referred to as STOVL.

I was thinking about that, though I'm not sure, maybe you're right.

About the mystery thing... ooopss, must've slipped pass me, I was going to say something, that definitely has to go, it makes no sense.

Ehmmm, shouldn't blehm be the one doing the rewritings? :huh:

:unsure: sorry for that, i joined recently and i reach that site by accident while browsing forum ( last post thing )

and yes i must fully agree with fux0r666 but i just rewrited it and fusion engines, fuel, holographic thing wasn't my idea.

About landing and taking off verticaly: reality != game logic , skyranger is somehow able to land between trees in jungle or in city on main street.

Edited by Ambegen

I agree, however, no vstol aircraft has ever had the ability to afterburn on take off because they have to deflect the jet nozzle.. the xc11 does not have to do that because it's engines tilt.

also, Almost every aircraft has fuel tanks in its wings.

LOL yeah sorry m8, i was referring to the fusion engines and this line from the shortened text

"However that comes at a cost, Condor need to carry huge amount of fuel which is placed in fuel pods under the wings, inside the wings, and along the walls of the plane."

in regards to normal fuel, well as far as excessive goes.. i'm not sure, but i thought that the interior walls within the aircraft were usually vacant or sometimes composed of electical cables ect. I could'nt imagine the US miltary, or any military for that matter, surrounding their soliders and/or cargo in a fuel casing- (something like Hindenburg).

So if i were Blehm ^_^ , i would probably alter every aspect Fux0r has pointed out and then chop the "fuel in the walls" part.

Edited by RustedSoul

I think that fusion engines may be a little far fetched for when xenocide takes place.  I'm not really quite sure the exact year, but doesn't it take place only like 12 years in the future?

Also, fusion - as far as I recall - creates radiation, wich would kill the passengers, unless shielded that is. And xenocide takes place 10 years in the future from now. That is, the date in the game is 10 years from the moment you start playing... Right?

As for landing between trees, isn't it perfectly logical they just bomb the trees down with something before landing? or land on the area the crashing ufo made or a convenient clearing?

Edited by Aosar

The most likely place for the fuel tanks on the XC-11 are in the wing roots and beneathe the flood of the cargo hold. I'm not absolutely certain where the best place for the tanks to be, but I think that above the crew cabin in the wing roots would be the most likely place, because from there all they have to do is pump fuel up the wing.

also, I would call it an assault transport/utility aircraft.

• 3 weeks later...

Scrap any kind of fusion engine. It conflicts with Alien tech name, also it won't be possible on a military air transport for probably another 50 years.

Instead, here are some possible replacements that are feasible for the next 10 years.

If I were writing it I would just say that it has adapted supercruise technology for use with low bypass turbofans.. This may sound like mumbo jumbo but the model itself looks to have turbofans on it- and they have that cowl on the front that allows air from the front fan bypass the compressor located at the rear, where the actual engine is. The super-cruisiness is where the f22 is today, and further refinements to it would lead us in a direction that is closer to where we are today.

Maybe some kind of Scramjet hybrid. Here are some links I grabbed for you.

http://www.aviationnow.com/content/ncof/ncfn14.htm

Here's some other stuff you could probably find usuable in your text.

http://www.pr.afrl.af.mil/facilities/pr_east/scramjet.htm

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/...nasa/index.html

Scrap any kind of fusion engine. It conflicts with Alien tech name, also it won't be possible on a military air transport for probably another 50 years.

I was going to say exactly the same, getting slow, am I?

Scramjets would require some kind of rocket to get it past mach 8 in the first place. This military transport is supposed to be feasible, proven technology in the next ten years. Why is supercruise to offensive? It is the cutting edge in engine technology and it is so advanced that currently only one aircraft uses it. Supercruise or afterburners, in combination with light weight composites would allow the transport to have the thrust to weight ratio it needs to get aloft vertically. The skyranger wasn't even that fast. I believe it was only transonic. A scramjet powered utility aircraft HAS to go faster than mach 8 just to use the scramjets. How would this affect the game balance if your initial troop carrier is 3 times faster than the fastest UFO?

Currently, the supercruising f119 turbofan produces 30,000 lbs of thrust. The maximum VTOL take-off weight of the osprey is 47,000 lbs (and its maximum non-assisted, non-VTOL take off weight is 55,000 lbs.) If you had two medium bypass, supercruising turbofans that produce 30,000 lbs of thrust each, you have a VSTOL aircraft that can take off vertically up to, say, 58,000 lbs. This is a 20% improvement over modern *prototypes* for a V/STOL utility aircraft.

Why go to some unproven technology that requires a lot of faith by your reader and some magical technical writing in order to make it half-plausible? Some topical analysis of the realities of the problems involved in making such a vehicle can produce an airtight, cutting edge and plausible creative text.

Why go to some unproven technology that requires a lot of faith by your reader and some magical technical writing in order to make it half-plausible?

Um "Creative Text" department (The art of plausible BS) :rolleyes: also, alot of the Alien tech entries are based on that very same faith.

Supercruise is'nt offensive in my eyes, I merely added to the list of possibilities. Since Blehm did'nt change it to supercruise apon the next edit, I thought he may be looking for other alternatives.

At the risk of overstating my opinion, the prospects of a scramjet powered troop transport is zero. You would need jets or rotors to take off and land vertically, ramjets or rockets to make it to mach 8, and then the added weight of scramjets. This aircraft would never fly. Moreover, in order for the airframe to withstand greater than mach 8 airtravel, it would have to be shaped like a doorstop and cost billions of dollars.. and then it would be faster than the fastest ufo from the getgo.. in fact, it would be faster in the atmosphere than the avenger.

The difference between writing about alien alloys and writing about aircraft that will be contemporary in ten years is that, because your readers are not in contact with alien alloys in their everyday life, writing about alien alloys gives you much more artistic license.

My previous example about getting a few numbers together regarding the osprey and supercruising jet engines was just an illustration of how one might garner inspiration from technical data... although, I realise that not everyone enjoys staring at numbers as much as I do.

Not trying to criticise, Fux, I'm sure your knowledge in this matter in far superior than ours, but as RS said, it's "creative text", it doensn't have to be 100% real, just has to read good, seem scientific, and realistic enough. Not suggesting that we don't follow your suggestions, just remember that this is for a game, and most players don't have your knowledge or just plain don't care if something doesn't fit current technology expectations for the next 10 years.

All your comments are greatly appreciated, nonetheless. :D

Mach 8 would be quite fast.

wouldn't the air resistance rip the aircraft apart at that speed? its like 9500km/h

a 747 would fly at about 800 km/h, the maximum speed of the blackbird was mach 3,2-3,3.

Edited by Qonfused

Not trying to criticise, Fux, I'm sure your knowledge in this matter in far superior than ours, but as RS said, it's "creative text", it doensn't have to be 100% real, just has to read good, seem scientific, and realistic enough. Not suggesting that we don't follow your suggestions, just remember that this is for a game, and most players don't have your knowledge or just plain don't care if something doesn't fit current technology expectations for the next 10 years.

All your comments are greatly appreciated, nonetheless. :D

Oh, I realise this is a game and I am not issuing demands so much as voicing my opinion. I'm not taking offence, and similarly I mean what I say in a friendly and collabourative way.

If your texts should inspire a gamer to google for information regarding the technologies you profess the aircraft to encorperate, and he or she finds that you are misappropriating the technologies, it may cause the gamer to 'lose faith' in the text. This has happened to me. When the counterstrike betas came out and the first person shooter was taking a lean towards realism and tactical combat, I decided to read about aspects of firearms, shooting and getting shot. It still makes me laugh to myself when the game characters prime the m4 by tugging on the forward-assist lever instead of pulling the charging handle. Similarly, when I started to play IL2, I found that the russian planes were unnecessarily powerful. Some research reveiled that that this was true, in fact the russian planes are pumped up unnecessarily, and that the developers are russian nationalists who are more interested in conveying their political agenda than modelling their aircraft in a realistic manner (if the La-5/7 was that good, world war 2 would have been over in 1942). These examples are kind of extreme, but it does happen.

It is important to be as original as possible- but I don't believe that researching something thuroughly necessarily restricts creativity. What I was suggesting was not real. In fact, it would probably not even be possible for an aircraft to function as I have described- but you couldn't tell... which makes my creative text strong! ;)

XC-11 “Condor”

The XC-11 “Condor” is a modern marvel of technology. It's an ideal transport for X-Com as it combines two most important traits: speed and flexibility. Powered by experimental supercruise Engines, it can reach speeds many modern jets cannot. And thanks to an advanced radar and sonar detection system mounted on its nose, Condor is able to vertically land and take off on almost any terrain as those devices are able to present a three-dimensional holographic map of the surrounding environment displayed on the pilot's visor. This technology is designed specifically for the pilot to be able to land the craft in a safe and suitable environment.

It was made small as possible, unfortunately it's truly a beast compared to most terrestrial craft, and compared to the XC-1, it's a very slow craft. But still it can reach every place on earth in less than 12h.

However that comes at a cost, Condor need to carry huge amounts of fuel, which is placed in fuel pods under the wings, inside the wings, and sometimes stored in the belly of the ship, giving aliens an irresistible, if not hard to hit, target. If any alien weapon were to pierce the fuel pods, it could result in a huge flying fireball, almost guaranteed to be lethal to anyone inside the ship. The ship also suffers from decreased maneuverability due to high weight and thin titanium armor. That's why it shouldn't under any circumstances be used for anything other than transportation. Removal of the craft weapons hardpoint has made it even more dangerous to use this craft for combat.

It either is, or it is'nt (binary math ;) )

"This is one of the most beautiful craft I have ever seen." "What, you mean that flying coffin?" - Conversation between X-corps engineer Dan Roberts and Sergeant Charlie Baker

Yes, flying is usually one of the most annoying parts of a mission. Due to the lack of space fully armed and equipped soldiers are sitting tight on a small benches lined along walls sometimes even several hours.

Edited by RustedSoul