XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Mouse Issue

Splat

A few months ago I wanted to play XCOM on my spiffy new P4 running XP. I had the DOS version, so I downloaded dosbox and after reading this forum and experimenting a bit I got everything to work. Geosacpe, tactical, intro, sound, everything. :D

Fast forward a bit. I thought a nice hard drive crash would be a fun way to spend some money and time. :cussing: I now have my spiffy new hard drive in my not quite as spiffy and new computer and I wanted to get XCOM going again. I d/l dosbox and check a couple of notes I jotted down last time and here we go....or not. I have two problems:

1) No sound. I have tried several different settings of irq/dma in dosbox and in the game and no matter what I seem to get 0 sound. I know I had this working before, but now I can't get it. I guess there is some combination I haven't tried yet.

2) The killer. I can setup a base and buy and research and all that but when it comes time to intercept, I'm stuck. I click on the intercept button and the ship selection window pops up and then I'm stuck. No matter wat I do, I can't get the mouse cursor to move off the intercept button and onto the ship selection button. Has anyone seen/solved this before? I'm at wit's end here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There's info on how to get sound working in this thread: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2989

Also, if you run DosBox too hard, your game can freeze for no apparent reason. Try slowing down DosBox (Ctrl-F11) and see if it unfreezes.

Well it looks like backing off on the cycle count clears up the mouse issue. Once it clears I can crank the cycles back up and things are fine..It even seems to keep working on the intercep page after that without backing down the cycles. :huh?:

Now I just need to find the right sound combo. I think I've read just about every forum post with the word sound in it and so far and I'm still working. What's really aggravating is the post I made several months ago when I mentioned that getting the sound to work had been the hardest part. I wish I had expanded on exactly what I did, because the settings from my notes don't seem to cut it. I'm considering deep hypnosis to recover my memories from then. I'm going to try going back to Dosbox 0.60 (I had tried this once, but I didn't really try a lot of settings on it).

The sound installation I did was for:UFO (EU) V1.4, DOS.

Are you sure you're choosing "soundblaster PRO"? Other sound settings don't have as many options to choose from. DosBox emulates the soundcard, so make sure it's emulating the right one, as well.

:cussing: :hammer: :beer:

GOT IT!!!!!!!

I think I'm going to be sick.

It looks like when I installed there was a glitch. All of the file names were copied into the sound directory, but they were all 0 length files. A quick copy *.* from the sound drirectory on the CD to the sound directory in the xcom directory and I'm set. I can't believe how much time I just wasted.

Just for future reference ;)

cycles=12000

frameskip=2

SoundBlater

Port=220

IRQ=10

DMA=1