XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART- Parmor Bckground

Vaaish

Well here ya go I boned, slightly textured, and posed the power armor... would look better with a proper texture but this will do. :)

parmor.jpg

Edited by Vaaish

Wow -

Excellent work Vaaish! Can't wait to see the textured version, but as it is now, I'm still very impressed. So is it going to get a Iridium Sheen Texture?

Now that it has bones, do you think it would be possible for someone to put the sheen on it and make it walk a few steps? Or even add a gun to its hand?

Great work!

Gold

Yeah, it looks really good.

On the other thought, if we would make our guys to wear the masks or helmets even while unarmored, then we would save lots of time by not doing all those faces...

Couldn't we use something like this for loading screens (if we are going to have those). Each object that the player has researched is enabled as a loading screen. This would basically mean that we do renders of all the objects in the game, and lets the game use the ones that the player has researched so far.

Plus, we could always do complete scences just for use as loading screens (an attack on a ufo, a dark, moody picture from a lab doing alien reasearch...).

Very nice work, Vaaish.

Edited by Cubik

Guest drewid
Mamutas you're right when looked from a saving time prospect, however the aesthetic and realism factor would be lessened if we didn't show that under that armour is a human being (or a close appoximation of one :D).

you could do a head without using tons of polys.

Wow -

Excellent work Vaaish!  Can't wait to see the textured version, but as it is now, I'm still very impressed.  So is it going to get a Iridium Sheen Texture? 

Now that it has bones, do you think it would be possible for someone to put the sheen on it and make it walk a few steps?  Or even add a gun to its hand? 

Great work!

Gold

yes it will have an irridium sheen but I ran out of time to put it on. I might try tonight or tomorrow.

On the other thought, if we would make our guys to wear the masks or helmets even while unarmored, then we would save lots of time by not doing all those faces...

Addind to Deimos responce, which I agree with fully, wouldnt it look weird in the Ops DB/Soldier Screen if your guy always has a helmet on?!

At Vaaish, can't wait to see it (::COUGH:: animated render ::COUGH::)!!!

Gold

i was just talking about battlescape

In that case, I'd tend to agree. Unless the BattleScape allows you to zoom in to a soldier, to such an extent that you can see through the visor and into the face.

Gold

Edited by GreatGold

Ah well thats a different kettle of fish. For the batttlescape the armour will just have a smoked visor effect. It'd affect the poly budgets if we modelled in a head, not to mention having to make the helmet area semi transparent. With the iridium effect as well I think it might be too much. I might be wrong but its something we'd have to test once we've got the engine running.

Of course if the engine can handle up to 26 soldiers in armour with all the buildings, aliens and terrains maps and lighting effects then I say its worth the extra bit of work to include it as god is in the details and I 'm a big fan of detail. :D

well the file is 36 megs but I used winrar and it domehow dropped the animation zip file size to about 4 megs so here is a small (really bad) animation w the power armor.

Oh and please don't chide about the irridescent material. I really need a ramp shader to do it properly but this at least gives a hint of it.

parmor.zip

well I had a lighter version I was trying to upload but that was 36megs and winrar compressed it to 3 but apparently the forum doesn't like Rar files or the file limit really isn't 9.77 megs. so you get this version. anyway here is a still showing a bit better the iradescense.

irrid.jpg

Hey -

Perhaps if you ask Micah, he'll host the larger file on his server for us. It really looks greart, and its VERY exciting to see something like this come to fruition! Great work! I'll drop Micah a line about this, in case he missed the thread.

Gold

The shots look very good, and the animation looks good as well!

(Breunor quivers with anticipation!)