XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Best Operating System For Ms Dos Games

Guest SheaTastic87

Guest SheaTastic87
Well it seems to me that windows xp SUCKS for the old ms dos games, always crashing and what have you. I feel the pain also because whenever I play UFO or TFTD I have to save after each round because of the fear of my game crashing and then me taking a baseball bat to the screen :cussing: so I think windows 98 is the best solution, but whats win98se like?

• 4 weeks later...
best solution would be pure DOS. Other than that, There's probably not much of a difference between running dos games on a 95, 98 or 98se OS. Use DOSbox if you want to run the Dos version on other OSes. Or the CE :) .

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest_Outlawstar15a2_*
Win98se just fix a few OS bugs added a shitload more and basically gave additional features but I never saw any of those new features and frankly didn't care for them. Win98se is the only viable Win9x choice if your gonna dual boot a computer I would recommend DOSbox but because it emulates EVERYTHING it requires a VERY VERY beefy Schwartzenagger-esque computer to run in a half way decent mode. Basically I like the concept but screw DOSbox save yourself some money and dual boot with 98se or if you've already got a OS on your computer (ok that was stupid of me of course you do) then you'll need to ghost your computer with something like Norton Ghost but that can be dangerous so inquire at a place like www.majorgeeks.com and find out more about it first.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Guest_dave_*

How much is a pentium 1 pc these days? almost free?

get one and install 98se on it , and declock it to about 100Mhz (max) to play games like UFO and TFTD. Try to play it on a Pentium 4 2ghz machine in 98se, and you wont be able to see who is shooting you or where they moved to as the games just FLY on a modern pc.

as opposed to crawl on dosbox

It varies. I've got it to run very well on a 700mhz PC without using any slow down program. The only thing that bugged me was the bobbing cursor on top of selected soldiers. Man that was eye watering. But I guess this really depends on whether or not it goes beyond your comfort zone.

PCs around the 300mhz range work quite well too. I played it for years on a 133mhz and thought that was horribly slow at times.

- NKF

• 5 months later...

The best OS for MS-DOS games is MS-DOS. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

Windows 95 is essentially a graphic user interface planted on top of MS-DOS, so you should be able to run any DOS program on Win95 without any problems at all.

Windows 95 is essentially a graphic user interface planted on top of MS-DOS, so you should be able to run any DOS program on Win95 without any problems at all.

You should be able not to have any problems with anything. But somehow, you often DO have them. :)

In theory, yes. In reality - not always. God only knows, what sometimes prevents things that are fully compatible from working properly together. Win XP is also supposed to support all DOS, Win 9x and Win NT programs. Automatically. And if you set the propper OS for the program manually, everything's supposed to be fine for sure. But Might&Magic VI, completely refused to run under XP, whatever OS mode I set for it. Fortunately, I've got XP and 98 installed on my computer, and under 98 it was fine.

Anyway, any Pentium 4 machine seems to be quite fine for X-Com with DOSBox 0.65 (which seems to be faster, than 0.63, and much faster than older versions). Though, it looks like the game under DOSBox starts pretty well, but then slows down significally, so you'd better reboot.