XCOMUFO & Xenocide

UFO 1 alien voice patch

Mok

Has anyone ever got around to fixing the few "broken" sounds in the mod?

Like the snakeman/zombie footsteps, for example.

Also, as asked above; is it possible to just fix the sound but leave other data intact?

edit:

Oooh, the voice patch has a third alien scream I've never heard before.

Not the high-piched shriek of the original, nor the low, slown-down one from ce.

This one is deep and long, but sounds like perhaps the ce one was meant to. Ace!

The "broken" sounds are actually bugs from the game itself, not from the mod, try with a unmodded fresh installation of the game and you'll notice the same problem (the bug is only present in the Windows CE version, though). Not sure what you mean with fixing the sound without touching the data, you can do just that by replacing the original 'sample2.cat' and 'sample3.cat' with those provided in the patch while keeping the original .EXE file.

BTW, which patch did you try? The version I posted here includes some effects that were missing from Mok's release and also features the original sound effects from the intro.

Yeah, I didn't realise there was a version of moks patch with seperate sound files.

The one I'd used previously seemed to be an all-inclusive install that also altered things like clock speed etc. And din't fix the footsteps, which this one does, curiously enough. Had different screams too, high pitched. I may be thinking of an entirely different patch, tbh!

Anyway, I'm very impressed.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have taken the liberty of using Quantifiers programs and Cooledit to go ahead and convert ALL the old 1.2 X-com sound effects over to that of 1.4. I doubt if there will be any problems on the DOS 1.4 versions :fingerscrossed: but there might be problems with using this file on the Windows CE version (these are only the sound effects from the battlescape by the way) Sample2.rar

I have taken another liberty or two by doing a couple of things with the sounds to make them a bit more tolerable.

1 Increased the amplitude by @10 db

2 Used Cooledits "hiss" reduction utility to minimize the background noise caused by converting old 8000hz 1.2 sounds over to 11025 1.4 sounds

***all credit goes to Quantifier for this. Without his programs I wouldn't have been able to extract or glue the sounds together***

I have recently converted the old DOS 1.2 Geoscape sounds for the DOS 1.4 version. Again I don't know if it will work with the Windows CE/GOLD versions.

Sample.rar

As with the Sample2.cat battlescape sounds I tried to eliminate the background "hiss" as best as I could with Cooledit.

So if I add download and replace the two files available in the above quotes I will have 1.2 sounds in 1.4 patched DOS game?

Thank you.

Edited by Primaris

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

About fixing the Geoscape being jerky/the timer. I didn't notice it in this thread, so might as well post this (better late than never)

From mok for his patch:

For people who'd like to speed up the geomap, get a normal hex editor, open the file and go to offset 68EF7 hex. The current speed is 1000 ms (1 second = 5 seconds of game time), so the value there is E8, 03 (3E8 hex is 1000). If you want the game to be 5 times faster, just replace 1000 by 200, so change the E8, 03 to C8, 00 and that's all, the game is faster.

From me:

Use XVI32 (Google it, completely free), click Address, click Goto.., select hexadecimal, search 68EF7 (or $68EF7).

You'll be in that column, it should look like this: 49,00,8a,FA,E8,03.

Basically change the 5th colume and 6th column (beside the FA if it's there.)

Unfortunately changing the clock affects the Geoscape, there is no way to make the Geoscape smoother without adjusting the timer.

Use a hex conversion chart located here: http://www.ascii.cl/conversion.htm so you can find the code to

experiment with changing the timer. Just change the E8 part. The 03 should be 00. On the conversation table, treat the DEC column as miliseconds. 200 MS was C8, just like mok said to change it to, but you can go lower. I would start at 16 MS (Hexadecimal code: 10) first then keep increasing it.

So the E8 you have to change to 10, and the 03 to 00. That's the best advice I can give. Don't forget to save.

It should be the same for other X-COM patches for people having problems with the Geoscape. If you want to disable it replace the E8 03 with 00 00.

Just a side note: personally I would keep it around 16 - 20 MS incase we want to play this great game in the future on our super fast computers. It would act like a small throttle so everything won't go SUPERFAST!!111111

Edited by MrGOATSE

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...