XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Is thre any way to get the CE versions of UFO and TFTD to work on Win

I found my old CE disc(disc 1 only unfortunetly) and want to play XCom again without pulling my old PSOne copy out.

I installed it and even the xcomfix doesnt work - either the program crashes or doesnt load at all. Damn Win 7 x64!

Any help is greatly appreicated.

Edited by Shotgunner

I'm still an OS version behind, so probably am not going to be of much help. But I was thinking that the dos version run via Dosbox may be a lot easier to get running than the Windows version if yours is giving you trouble. CE won't run on my Windows XP laptop no matter what I do but it ran fine on my now dead XP desktop. Rather a fickle game.

I know you have the CE editon, - which is why I was thinking that now might be a good time to create a 'patch' that can be added to the CE edition to convert it into the CE/Dos combo. That is how the game is normally distributed these days anyhow. Basically the CE version plus the missing files for the dos version, so you can choose to run either one.

Since I have both copies, I might have a crack at this myself. My only problem is whether this would be legal...

- NKF

edit: done! Now I just need a guinea pig to test it on. It's not just any old file patch - this one has a fixed Geoscape.exe that has the difficulty bug fixed.

Edited by NKF

Right, here it is.

UFO1_4_DOS_CE_Patch.zip

I've tested it on my non-working copy of UFO CE, and it jolly well works, so hopefully it will be fine. Treat it as experimental at this stage.

edit: I've since discovered that all I've done is recreate the v1.4 patch for the dos version. The only real change is the fixed Geoscape.exe and the inclusion of the Dos4gw.exe extended memory enabler (needed by the Dos version by the way, not included in CE). Doh.

What you need to do now is:

- Download the attachment and do the usual virus scan for a bit of piece of mind.

- Install your CE copy.

- Get the latest copy of Dosbox from: http://www.dosbox.com and install it. Set up the Dosbox config file to mount your usual games folder as C: , or just mount your X-Com CE directly as a drive.

- If your CE Executable is called ufo.exe, rename it to something else. For example UFO Defense.exe or UFO Defence.exe or UFO CE.exe, or whatever takes your fancy, as long as it's not plain "UFO". The alternative is to rename the ufo.bat in this patch to something else.

- Unzip the attached file patch into your CE copy's directory. There are no files that will be overwritten, but you will be asked if you wish the overwrite the sounds folder. Say yes.

- Launch Dosbox, switch to your X-Com folder and type ufo (or the renamed batch file, if you changed it) to launch the game. And hopefully you'll be good to go.

I've set it to use the default dosbox soundcard emulation settings, but if you are having sound problems, run the sound setup (setup.exe) and adjust it accordingly.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

have you tried to install additional system on your HD?

like win98se or winXP ( 32 bit )

just make sure, you make separate partition exlusively for that system

XCom loader, XComUtil ( and many other programs are still 32 bit )

you probably will have problems with ALL of them too :(

yarrow

• 10 months later...

Old time Xcom fan from the very beginning used to play night after night on mates pc, driving his wife mad. Many years later moved to NZ, my mate sent me X com colection but never got around to playing it. Now I have time and I can't get it running, all i get is sound and black screen. tried it on XP and Vista but thats all I get. Not at all computer savvy so need very easy to follow help!

Ivan (skavinski)

Edited by Ivanskavinski

No it hasn't, but just grab the Geoscape.exe from the zip file I posted above (which I'd completely forgotten about) and stick it the Steam copy. Just that file, as my patch already replicates what they've done in the Steam copy. That'll fix the difficulty bug - although you can also use XComutil if you want all the changes it entails.

- NKF