XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Anti-Grav Powersuit

Wow, that was easy enough. Back to work, it seems...

I was kinda talking bout both yours and mine, but there's still plenty of cts where we can have fun...

Heh, I know. I'm just through rambling for now. :) Still waiting to see how this one turns out.

Edited by The Master Maniac

BTW, I've noticed you haven't used the real name, you did in the topic but not in the CT, change "Aerial Superiority Hardsuit" for "Antigrav Powersuit", which is the final name we're gonna use. A little remark, since you put it at the top.

• 4 weeks later...

After Az and MM's critique, I'm not quite sure where the current status of this particular write-up lies, but I did enjoy the most recent version. As for 'Icarus' as a name, perhaps it would be better to institute a theme of naming to be used throughout the rnd groups. Perhaps use aztec/greek/roman/norse/egyptian mythology and then use that as project/code names for each weapon/ship/suit.

Since almost all of those forms of mythology have a plethora of names to draw from, you could apply them to your projects, maybe even using a pairing system for added effect.

Horus, Egyptian sky god - also called Har or Hor, so you can call the suit 'Horian or Harian Armor'

Also, the non-flying armor would be 'Sethian Armor', or the Egyptian god of strength, Seth.

Just an option provided for your naming patterns. Personally, I prefer Aztec or Mayan lore, but its enunciation is less aesthetic.

-Kwirl

Hmm, those are indeed creative names, but, all in all, I feel that "Praetorian" couldn't have better hit the mark for the original non-aerial armor. As for Icarus, I don't know--I thought it sounds a bit cliched, in retrospect, but we do kind of want to go with this whole Greek mythological thing we've got here. Any ideas?

I think Praetorian is perfect for the Power Armour, and Icarus for the Antigrav one is very good, I'd prefer to keep those names. Naming doensn't necessarily has to follow a pattern, so far we've left it to the artists here.

I just leave it to the powers that be, myself. I floated the "Icarus," back when the suit was going to be called "Hummingbird." No harm in coming up with a few extra ideas, of course, but it just boils down to broadest appeal. Again, I don't think "Praetorian" could have better hit the mark, myself. As for Icarus, it seems serviceable for now.

My apologies, I only offered suggestions because of the apparent search still ongoing within the context of this topic.  I wasn't trying to usurp anything, it just seemed that they were still looking for ideas.

Suggestions are always welcome, and this text isn't finished yet (I think Tzuchan hasn't, at least), no need for apologies, we're all part of the same team :)

how about "flight armour". i think its no bull, yet describes the flying suite for easy refrence.

Names have already been picked, check the pinned topics in Active Text. Current name for the flight armour is "Antigrav Powersuit", with Maniac's nickname it'd be "Icarus" Antigrav Powersuit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, reworked it some :Hyper:

Again, I don't like the whole "living suit" thing, and the fluff text is a bit too intrusive, if not silly. If fluff is absolutely essential, we could go with something more technically-related, such as an attached note elaborating on some kind of trick one can use whilst in midair or something of the like. Again, the idea is having this incredible technology seem real and tangible rather than funny and ridiculous.

Are you sure you are reading the latest version? I'm pretty sure I'm not having anykind of living suits here...

People driven insane by the suits, yes, living suits, no.

Also, it would be a good idea to give the player a slight grasp of what exactly the defensive capabilities of the armored suit provide.

Given that this is supposed to be an extension of the original power armour, most of that is covered already in the power armour CTD. In anycase, I made some token mentions to the medicomp and stuff like that.

You want to match the mood, which I believe is leaning a bit more towards "dark, sinister, and brooding" from what I've seen.

Err... Having people slowly go INSANE while very a very expensive piece of equipment isn't dark, brooding and sinister? Go read the fluffs about rubber chickens flying out of bazookas...

Flying Suit CTD:

Topic: Antigrav Powersuit Mark III (ASH - MK III "ICARUS")

[insert Stats Here:]

The Antigrav Powersuit Mark III, "Icarus", is the next phase of personal armour design. Not only does it provides better protection than the Praetorian, the Icarus also provides our agents with better tactical flexibility by allowing them to move freely above the engagement area. Unfortunately, a design compromise resulted in the Icarus having rear armour weaker than that of the Praetorian's due to the flight system backpack.

Antigrav Powersuit Mark I "Flying Praets" was initially developed as an extension of the Praetorian design. That is to say, to provide our field agents with better tatical flexibility by redesigning the suit to include a small anti-gravity device. Also, as a next generation extension of the Preatorian, the design also included various upgrades, including a upgraded version of the medicomp, enchanced flexiblity and reworked myomer bundles that reduced the armour's weight. Also, heat dissipators developed for use with the anti-grav generators enable the suit to disperse plasma hits more effectively, increasing the suit's defences against such weapons.

Unfortunately, while we were able to develop anti-gravity generators both small and efficient enough to provide sustainable flight, the complexity involved with controlling the hovering suit required controls too complex to integrate into a suit's control system without interfering with an agent's combat awareness. As a result, the development of the Mark I "Flying Praets" was put on hold while we studied the UFO control systems for a solution.

By developing a simplified version of the navigation systems used by the aliens, we essentially allowed the wearer to control the suits' flight by using their minds, and initial trials showed great promise with the suits pulling off advance acrobatics midair with ease. However, just as the Antigrav Powersuit Mark II was entering preproduction phase, an average of three out of four of the test pilots started exhibiting signs of psychosis and severe paranoia, to the extent that all three had to be sedated and placed under watch inorder to prevent them from injuring themselves as well as other personnel.

Extensive review of the recorder flight data as well as the design suggested that the stress of controlling every single detail of the suit's flight resulted in severe stress for the human mind which was simply not designed to process that much information, resulting in a chemical imbalance in the brain as well as neuron "burnout" from being psionicly active for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, we were only able to jury-rig a neural engram buffer to simulate ninety percent of the required input/output to maintain level flight, and in the due process, limit the suits to basic movements along the horizontal and vertical planes.

A fortunate side effect of the redesign was that the occupant was sufficiently "disconnected" from the suit that user doesn’t actually feel pain when the armour is hit, and that unlike the alien's mental control systems, the occupants won’t die if they get out of the armour in a hurry.

We still hope to be able to finalize a design that would enable our field agents to fly throught the skies freely, but due to the time constraints, are forced to field the Antigrav Powersuit Mark III, the Icarus, as it is right now.

"I tell you, those things move on their own! Mine was planning on eating me and I knew because of the freaky mental control systems those scientists cooked up. I had to kill it before it found out I knew its plans!"

"The patient exhibits signs of severe paranoia as well as psychosis. It is still uncertain as to whether is the mental control system the cause of the patient's mental disorders. The patient is deemed mentally unfit for duty until further notice."

-Excerpt from psychiatric report of AGPS MK-II test pilot

*edit* *grumbles* Damned typos

Edited by tzuchan

the stress of controlling every single detail of the suit's flight resulted in severe stress for the human mind

Don't like the double stress in there. How about 'The extreme mental effort required to navigate in three dimensions, control a system as complex as the Icarus and maintaining combat-capability resulted in severe stress for the human mind' ?

Oh, I'd recommend this alteration of the fluff:

It's a bird!

No, it's a plane!!

No, it's.. it's... oh, wait, it is a bird.

--K

Edited by kander

Slightly revised version of the latest CT, RTF file attached.

Anyway, judging from the relative lack of comments, I assumme most ppl don't have any major quibbles with the CT, so Azrael? :Poke: I think this CT is ready for proofing...

Flying Suit CTD:

Topic: Antigrav Powersuit Mark III (ASH - MK III "ICARUS")

[insert Stats Here:]

The Antigrav Powersuit Mark III, "Icarus", is the next phase of personal armour design. Not only does it provides better protection than the Praetorian, the Icarus also provides our agents with better tactical flexibility by allowing them to move freely above the engagement area. Unfortunately, a design compromise resulted in the Icarus having rear armour weaker than that of the Praetorian's due to the flight system backpack.

"It's a bird!"

"No, it's a plane!"

"No, It's... it's the Icarus AGPS!"

-Trio of Superman fans in the Research Team

Antigrav Powersuit Mark I "Flying Praets" was initially developed as an extension of the Praetorian design. That is to say, to provide our field agents with better tatical flexibility by redesigning the suit to include a small anti-gravity device. Also, as a next generation extension of the Preatorian, the design also included various upgrades, including a upgraded version of the medicomp, enchanced flexiblity and reworked myomer bundles that reduced the armour's weight. Also, heat dissipators developed for use with the anti-grav generators enable the suit to disperse plasma hits more effectively, increasing the suit's defences against such weapons.

Unfortunately, while we were able to develop anti-gravity generators both small and efficient enough to provide sustainable flight, the complexity involved with controlling the hovering suit required controls too complex to integrate into a suit's control system without interfering with an agent's combat awareness. As a result, the development of the Mark I "Flying Praets" was put on hold while we studied the UFO control systems for a solution.

By developing a simplified version of the navigation systems used by the aliens, we essentially allowed the wearer to control the suits' flight by using their minds, and initial trials showed great promise with the suits pulling off advance acrobatics midair with ease. However, just as the Antigrav Powersuit Mark II was entering preproduction phase, an average of three out of four of the test pilots  started exhibiting signs of psychosis and severe paranoia, to the extent that all three had to be sedated and placed under watch inorder to prevent them from injuring themselves as well as other personnel.

Extensive review of the recorder flight data as well as the design suggested that the difficulty involved with controlling every single detail of the suit's flight resulted in severe stress for the human mind which was simply not designed to process that much information, resulting in a chemical imbalance in the brain as well as neuron "burnout" from being psionicly active for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, we were only able to jury-rig a neural engram buffer to simulate ninety percent of the required input/output to maintain level flight, and in the due process, limit the suits to basic movements along the horizontal and vertical planes.

A fortunate side effect of the redesign was that the occupant was sufficiently "disconnected" from the suit that user doesn’t actually feel pain when the armour is hit, and that unlike the alien's mental control systems, the occupants won’t die if they disconnect from the armour's flight control system in a hurry.

We still hope to be able to finalize a design that would enable our field agents to fly throught the skies freely, but due to the time constraints, are forced to field the Antigrav Powersuit Mark III, the Icarus, as it is right now.

"I tell you, those things move on their own! Mine was planning on eating me and I knew because of the freaky mental control systems those scientists cooked up. I had to kill it before it found out I knew its plans!"

"The patient exhibits signs of severe paranoia as well as psychosis. It is still uncertain as to whether is the mental control system the cause of the patient's mental disorders. The patient is deemed mentally unfit for duty until further notice."

flying_new_version.rtf

• 4 weeks later...

ANTI-GRAV POWERSUIT

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Armor/Icarus

The Anti-grav Powersuit Mark III, "Icarus", is the next phase in personal armor design. Not only does it provide better protection than the Praetorian; the Icarus also provides our agents with better tactical flexibility by allowing them to move freely above the engagement area. Unfortunately, a design compromise resulted in the Icarus having rear armor plating weaker than that of the Praetorian's due to the location of the flight system backpack in that area.

"It's a bird!"

"No, it's a plane!"

"No, It's... it's the Icarus AGPS!"

-Trio of Superman fans in the Research Team

The Anti-grav Powersuit Mark I "Flying Praet" was initially developed as an extension of the Praetorian design. That is to say, to provide our field agents with better tactical flexibility by redesigning the suit to include a small anti-gravity device. Also, as a next generation extension of the Praetorian, the design also included various upgrades, including an upgraded version of the medicomp, enhanced flexibility, and reworked myomer bundles that reduced the powersuit's weight. Also, heat dissipaters developed for use with the anti-grav generators enabled the suit to disperse plasma hits more effectively, increasing the suit's defenses against such weapons.

Unfortunately, while we were able to develop anti-gravity generators both small and efficient enough to provide sustainable flight, the complexity involved with controlling the hovering suit required controls too complex to integrate into a suit's control system without interfering with an agent's combat awareness. As a result, the development of the Mark I "Flying Praet" was put on hold while we studied the Alien Navigation Systems for a solution.

By developing a simplified version of the navigation systems used by the aliens, we essentially allowed the wearer to control the suits' flight by using their minds. Initial trials showed great promise with the suits pulling off advanced acrobatics in midair with ease. However, just as the Anti-grav Powersuit Mark II was entering preproduction phase, an average of three out of four of the test pilots started exhibiting signs of psychosis and severe paranoia, to the extent that all three had to be sedated and placed under watch in order to prevent them from injuring themselves as well as other personnel.

Extensive review of the recorder flight data as well as the design suggested that the difficulty involved with controlling every single detail of the suit's flight resulted in severe stress for the Human mind which was simply not designed to process that much information, resulting in a chemical imbalance in the brain as well as neuronal "burnout" from being psionically active for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, we were only able to jury-rig a neural engram buffer to simulate ninety percent of the required input/output to maintain level flight, and in the due process, limit the suits to basic movements along the horizontal and vertical planes.

A fortunate side effect of the redesign was that the occupant was sufficiently "disconnected" from the suit that user doesn’t actually feel pain when the armor is hit, and that unlike the alien's mental control systems, the occupants won’t die if they disconnect from the armor's flight control system in a hurry.

We still hope to be able to finalize a design that would enable our field agents to fly through the skies freely, but due to the time constraints, are forced to field the Anti-grav Powersuit Mark III as it is right now.

"The patient exhibits signs of severe paranoia as well as psychosis. It is still uncertain as to whether it is the mental control system the cause of the patient's mental disorders. The patient is deemed mentally unfit for duty until further notice."

• 1 year later...