7 replies to this topic

#1 Lans

Lans

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

I have a windows xp computer, when i saw X-Com games i downloaded first UFO from *the internet*, played it a lot with no problems except speed(used turbo for this), then i got TFTD, and it worked the same way that UFO, after that i downloaded Apoc from same place with a normal download(no torrent), run it and got a black screen.

I disabled the sound to see if it was a problem, but still black screen...

I followed Mark0 guide to play it under Xp but still black screen of death... <_<

Anyone that can help me with that?

EDIT: Now i can make it run the intro movie, after that i get this error: Drive not ready error reading drive D
Retry, Ignore, Fail? _

REDIT: I got the idea to burn the game folder to a cd and see what happen...
I ran it from both exes(first the hd one, then later from the cd one), and i dont get the drive not ready anymore, now i get a black screen after the intro...

Now i need help with that <_<

* Edit By Zombie: Removed site mention.

Edited by Zombie, 25 September 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#2 Guest_Jack the Smack_*

Guest_Jack the Smack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

Having same problem, deleted Apoc directory, installed, then ran the crack and it still does the thing you're talking about. Why doesn't this damn crack work? If I put the CD in, the game wont run (suggesting a CD read error) and if I remove the CD it says missing disk.

OK, I checked the crack readme, did everything it said, ran apoc and now even without the CD I get a black screen. So I guess I made some progress by removing CD support, but I have to get past this black screen. It doesn't crash my PC or anything, it just remains black until I hit Escape at which point it goes to desktop.

Edited by Jack the Smack, 23 January 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#3 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

Having same problem, deleted Apoc directory, installed, then ran the crack and it still does the thing you're talking about. Why doesn't this damn crack work? If I put the CD in, the game wont run (suggesting a CD read error) and if I remove the CD it says missing disk.

OK, I checked the crack readme, did everything it said, ran apoc and now even without the CD I get a black screen. So I guess I made some progress by removing CD support, but I have to get past this black screen. It doesn't crash my PC or anything, it just remains black until I hit Escape at which point it goes to desktop.

You probably have installed the svga fix?
http://www.xcomufo.com/x3faq.html <- go through all these steps.

If it won't help, try this:
http://www.xcomufo.c...p?showtopic=841

If that won't help, try using dosbox. Although this topic is for Vista, it will work on XP the same way:
http://www.xcomufo.c...topic=242027667
There's no need for a sig..

#4 Guest_Jack the Smack_*

Guest_Jack the Smack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

I just figured it out. It's my display drivers. I disabled them, restarted my computer, and the game works! Although, everything else doesn't. But it's still XCOM! Woohoo!

#5 Ernomouse

Ernomouse

Rookie

• New Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

Sorry about digging up ancient topics.

I have this same problem, described in the first post. In my own words: After completing this quide ( http://www.xcomufo.c...p?showtopic=841 ) I get the game running with OK quality sounds, mouse working (I managed to press a button without seeing anything) and all that. Just that the screen remains black, though the game is running. Half of the times or even more frequently, I get the blue screen of death, and have to reset. I tried install x3svga.zip without not knowing how it's supposed to work, without any improvements (unzipped to right folders, am I supposed to run them with the program or what? What are the right commands, if/when I want to include them in the .bat file?). The strangest thing is, that I got this game to work a long time ago, on this very same computer and XP. Thus I don't want to rely on DOSbox, I know it can be done without. Any hope?

#6 fireboy153

fireboy153

Rookie

• New Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

i have this same issue. im thinking to just get an old pc and use it for my older games....hows that sound?

#7 jays

jays

Rookie

• New Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

I actually had the same issue but i got scared and uninstalled everything. I'm trying to install it again now and i'm hoping there would be no more problems for here on.

Regards,
Jays
Simulation pret immobilier

#8 zaimoni

zaimoni

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Per documentation (and personally liberally used), xcomapoc /SKIP doesn't even try to run the intro movie.

Reply to this topic