XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Craft Size: Pursue Without Interception

Fresh reinstall of CE, with ufoeuet and xcomutil mods, and Mok's Sample2.CAT tossed in for good measure... Currently playing a brand new campaign on Veteran difficulty.

Not out of January yet and I get a radar contact that shows a craft size of "Pursue without Intercept" (the text continues past the right edge of the window).

This was immediately proven to be a true description... The moment the scrambled Interceptor caught up to the craft, the plane was vaporized in a single blast. There wasn't even enough time to try and verify the ship type. The ufo acted like a low-rider on the main drag on a Saturday night and never broke 400+ airspeed (my Skyranger flew by it like it was standing still while leap-frog patrols to keep tabs), and yo-yo'd across the full range of altitude without ever touching down as it sauntered over Europe and made a full curcuit of the northern icecap.

I can remember a few times back in the day where a sighting didn't make any contact on the ground and just buzzed a few countries on a joy ride, but this is a first for having the aliens plaster a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign across their fuselage... I'm guessing this is an undocumented change made with the ufoeuet mod?

Sounds like something got fudged up with all the mods you are using. Since your Skyranger and the UFO's were acting strangely, I'd think that was the area which is to blame. Most likely, all the craft data is off by a byte or two and thus some strange things happened down the line. I'd suspect that the byte indicating craft size (a pointer within English.dat) was changed to a different pointer within the file which reads: "PURSUE WITHOUT INTERCEPTION". (The text doesn't all fit on the screen, but this is the string in the file). Funny stuff, but the game acts really strange. I much prefer editing those values myself as the results are controllable. I once edited my cannon to have a range of 100 km and fire rate of 1/sec. When I went up against a Battleship, the cannon blazed away and I didn't have to get into the UFO's weapons range. ROFL

- Zombie

Sounds like something got fudged up with all the mods you are using. Since your Skyranger and the UFO's were acting strangely, I'd think that was the area which is to blame. Most likely, all the craft data is off by a byte or two and thus some strange things happened down the line. I'd suspect that the byte indicating craft size (a pointer within English.dat) was changed to a different pointer within the file which reads: "PURSUE WITHOUT INTERCEPTION". (The text doesn't all fit on the screen, but this is the string in the file). Funny stuff, but the game acts really strange. I much prefer editing those values myself as the results are controllable. I once edited my cannon to have a range of 100 km and fire rate of 1/sec. When I went up against a Battleship, the cannon blazed away and I didn't have to get into the UFO's weapons range. ROFL

- Zombie

Where is "PURSUE WITHOUT INTERCEPTION" and whats it normally for?

"PURSUE WITHOUT INTERCEPTION" is a text string found in GEODATA\ENGLISH.DAT. The string (as far as I can tell) isn't used by the game - it's simply a leftover artifact when it was created. You can still edit fields to point to the string, though. :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie