XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Game Exploits

LordT

I haven't seen this in any of the forums so here goes.

In the equiptment screen:

If you pick up the item so its at the cursor and then click the "next-page" at the ground section and the place it where you want it, it should "disappear". And you can then place another thing atop of it.

Don't know if this works in battle but it works in the preperation screen.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the most important question now is:

Can you get this stuff out one by one, or can we take (and use!) more than 4 exploding sticks or more than 6 silver footballs with us this way?

Otherwise it's not that useful.... just take tree heavy or autocannons with you, or pick up every shot down alien.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps some of you know already the trick, but maybe some not.

There is a way to recover you soldier turned into zombie. The only thing you need is someone capable of doing min control. So:

0) soldier XYZ has been turned into zombie :angry:

1) mind control the zombie :wacko:

2) shot it once (don't auto shot 'cause you can kill it) :uzzi:

3) zombie should turn into the chryssalid. Note than you cannot either move it or mind controll it. Just do nothing, wait to the end of turn :ph34r:

4) From the beginning of the next turn you have this chryssalid under your control. :LOL: After you end the mission you note that soldier XYZ is still alive and you hav no live chryssalid captured. Even more - armor on the soldier (if there was any) has been repaired :)

The trick works woth TFTD as well.

• 4 weeks later...
I oughta try that. Can you turn aliens into zombies (under your control) too?

You can't change anything into zombie. When you MC some alien you don't have acces to his special abilities so you can't use changing into zombie. You can place 'your' alien near enemy chryssalid, but he will be killed instead of changing. (I don't remember well is that true)

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably not intended that you do all this, so a civilian soldier might freeze the game. Unless some programmer thought it would be cool to code it, and makes a civilian soldier super-uber strong.

If it's a free soldier, you can use the civ as a scout. Use it as a set of eyes, slow eyes, weak eyes, but expendable eyes. More expendable than rookies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Erm, how's it connected to talking about zombies, and recruting your army from civies? ;)

I think civie doesn't count as your new soldier. That's because you have your zombie back because he was you soldier. And civie? Well what can happen else to him than being sent back to his home? ("Honey, you look strange... Maybe you're ill?")

• 8 months later...
Guest Nukkel

Hi,

In case you're interested, I found a way to increase your stocks (eg.

elerium) in XCom: defense, that doesn't involve using any editor

programs:

have >1 bases and issue a transfer of all your elerium from one base to

another. save. keep the TRANSFER.DAT file from that saved game directory.

continue playing. wait for the

transfer to arrive at destination base. save. replace TRANSFER.DAT with

the one you kept earlier. the same shipment will now simply arrive a

second time :happybanana: .

Seeya all, nukkel

P.S. Is there still a seperate StrategyForum here?

edit: Yes, there is a strategy forum. I think this thread will be moved there, as this is the technical support forum, I'm afraid.

Ah, there are hundreds of little oddeties you can exploit in the game itself - it'd take forever to document. :)

Here's one. Throw an object 'up' at the ceiling. (select the floor above before throwing). Go, try it now. The Skyranger or the UFO is a good place to test this. This makes assaulting those large UFOs with the alien units that 'camp' in the UFO bridgeroom oh so much easier. Just get underneath them and toss a high exp... well, you get the idea. What I'm saying is - you don't need to make a hole to throw stuff through the ceiling.

Or how about this. Load a game with more bases than your current one. Select the base in the base screen. Then go back to the Geoscape and load another game with less bases. When you hit the base screen, the base in the previous savegame will still be there, albeit temporarily. While you're here, you can transfer all the equipment and the research/engineering staff (not the soldiers or planes, however).

Here's one that's not even a cheat. When flying between various points on the globe - use multiple but tightly spaced waypoints and move in a straight line towards your destination rather than let the ship's AI go around the circumference of the globe - which makes trips get longer and longer as you approach the equator. This trick is well worth knowing for the Lightning, where cutting a few corners can take it well beyond its normal range.

But speaking of cheating for resources -- why not steal them from the aliens? Like the Art of War says regarding supplies (food), getting the resources from the enemy is worth 20 of your own (only in X-Com's case, the aliens' resource supply is virtually unlimited).

I find that if you have the aliens build a base near one of your own (preferably floaters or snakemen), your resource problems (elerium, UFO components and cash) will be over as long as you keep assaulting the supply ships that land (150 elerium per ship). You'll have elerium and alloys spilling out of your ears in no time. Not to mention additional experience, an X-Com area activity score that'll keep the UN happy and more heavy-plasmas than you'll probably ever need.

Well, I suppose the extra resources do help just as you're starting out, but by budgeting yourself and finding suitable alternatives (interceptors w/ twin plasma cannons rather than Avengers with dual fusion ball launchers, or even laser tanks vs. hovertanks for example), you can easily get by until you can build up your resource stockpile.

Also, one other elerium saving tip is to not construct any HWP fusion balls for any fusion/hovertanks if all you want them to do is defend the base. You see, during a base defense mission, the game first equips the HWP with any ammo that's in storage first. If stores run out, the game equips the HWP up to its maximum capacity anyway (i.e. you get a free ammo load). So if you have the tank for base defense only, then it's pointless to build any ammo for it. Also, you get to keep any unused ammo you haven't finished using by the time the mission ends. Life is good. This sort of makes using fusion/hovertanks on a regular basis for defending a base seem like a very promising investment, doesn't it? :)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Yes, there is a strategy/tactics forum, but guests can't see it... That's why I'll wait a bit (unless another moderator thinks otherwise :) ) with moving the topic until I'm sure Nukkel sees this...

Another exploit is in the farm map, inside the 2 level barn containing those yellow thingies on the floor :) . If there's an alien camping on level two, all you have to do is to move onto one of those yellow thingies and you'll be able to see&shoot 'through' the ceiling.

Edited by j'ordos

Ah, the ol' bale of hay trick. Watch out though, as the aliens can also see your head popping through the ceiling.

If you had a rocket launcher, a heavy/auto cannon with HE/Inc shells, stun bombs, or heck, even the blaster launcher (i.e. any area effect weapon in the game), just fire up at the ceiling above you.

The explosion will detonate on the floor above - even if you fired a blaster bomb point blank at the ceiling - only the poor sods on the floor above will feel it. This works brilliantly in the farms, but it does appear to work a bit odd in UFOs and other places with hard ceilings/floors. The damage is done on the floor above, but the ceiling remains intact.

Fantastic stuff, area effect weapons. :)

Just don't try to fire area effect weapons through the floor - it won't work except on UFO grav-lifts (TFTD's lifts are solid - so don't try shooting down them).

Yes, I do have this funny thing about turning the farm maps into smoking craters on occasion. :)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Guest Nukkel

Hi,

j'ordos: After I posted I saw that the strategy forums require registration... but it was too late :Blush: . Sorry 'bout having to move the thread and all.

Next time I'll post in the correct forum!

NKF -- thx for the tips!

-Nukkel

The game's getting confused.

You see, every unit has two flags. The owner flag, and a flag that tells it if it's under mind control (curiously enough, it's also the flag to tell the game if the unit is visible).

The sides are 0, 1 and 2. 0 and 1 are for the two regular sides and 2 is for the civilians.

How mind control works is this. It sets the owner flag to the person who mind controlled the unit, then sets the temporary 'under mind control' flag. By the end of the turn, it checks the 'under mind control' flag. If it's set, it unsets it and then flips the owner to the other side. Since the game never remembers who the unit belongs to, civilians end up reverting to alien ownership.

---

Re: X-Com chrysalids

A similar thing is happening here.

The zombie starts off under 'alien' control. You mind control it, its ownership gets given to X-Com and it's also considered under temporary mind control. If it is killed, the chryssalid that hatches will automatically be under alien control - but, the 'temporary mind control' flag hasn't been reset. So, in essense, the chryssalid is counted as an X-Com unit under mind control.

Note, that X-Com chryssalids, if attacked by alien chryssalids, will turn 'back' into zombies. On the other hand, alien units under temporary mind control always get killed instantly.

Yes, you can have 'civilian' recruits, but the stats will be that of the chryssalid. Not to worry, even with 0 firing accuracy, they can hit targets. If all else fails, they make excellent scouts and grenadiers (who needs accuracy?).

I'm told that if one of your soldiers is zombified then recovered as a Chryssalid, the soldier actually survives the mission. I haven't tested this personally, but I believe this might actually work.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

If anything happens that I don't like, I simply load. :devillaugh:

Sectopods can be MC'ed 4 times. They get full TUs every time, making them the most powerful tank in the game.

The owner flag, and a flag that tells it if it's under mind control (curiously enough, it's also the flag to tell the game if the unit is visible).

How come I can't see my units under alien control, then? I have to turn around in order to see them.

Just watch out, portions of a large terror unit still under alien control can get off a reaction shot.

In TFTD, it's slightly different. Controlling different quarters give you different proportions of control over the large unit. The upper left gives you get to control it 100%, the upper right gives you 75% control, lower right 50%, lower left 25%. At least, this appears true for the hallucinoids. Partial control tends to be a bit buggy. It's even weirder that you can sometimes end up with permanent control of part of another large terror unit you cannot even see.

As for the visibility/under mind control flag, I think there's about four settings:

Visible, not under mind control

Visible, under mind control

Invisible, not under mind control

Invisible, under mind control

I don't know any of the other flags and combinations it might use. It's just that these two different unit states are stored in the same variable.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

If you have two guns in same hand with that """"dissapearing weapons when pushing the -> arrow with gun"""" bug, will those both fire when used in battle?

Only one gun will fire, though it might look like another.

There is one particularly interesting effect if you stack a stun-rod with another weapon. You'll look like you're firing a stun rod, but you'll still be firing the gun. However, the stun-rod enables the melee attack for that weapon (though the attack still says 'stun'). All weapons have a melee attack capabilities, with varying degrees of attack strengths (with the quantity on the current object being the melee damage rating), it's just that the game designers removed the melee attack commands from all but the stun-rod (they reenabled it for three extra items in TFTD).

One downside is that the melee attack (don't be confused by the 'stun' label) costs 50% of your time units to use (as long as priming a grenade). You'd have to experimeent with what object to stack with the stun-rod. Some are excellent, while others don't work at all. Heavy lasers are pretty powerful and you can probably kill a sectopod with just one strike.

The other downside is that the image of the gun in the battlescape will be that of the stun-rod, and you won't see your remaining clip count.

Summary: Stack an object with a stun-rod. You might get an awesome bayonet!

Warning: Don't try to move a stacked object if you've almost run out of TUs or you'll get the game into an endless loop.

- NKF

Damn! You really are an ufo expert/professor/whatever.. Is there something you haven't tried? ^_^ You have been very helpful.

I just notice things and take note of them. I later sit down and try to work them out, or even experiment with these oddeties a bit until I understand what's going on. That's all. I'm not a great player or a genius -- I'm just a nosy bugger. :)

- NKF

• 5 weeks later...
How about this. If you go to your workshop and select to build something, build only 1, and put no technicians on it. Go back to geoscape. Then go back to workshop and put technicians on it. Presto! when it is done, you pay nothing, lose no resources or anything. I know it works in TFTD, and i'm pretty sure it works for UFO defense.

Woo!! I GOTTA TRY THAT! :D Nice one.

Umm, have you not seen the BEST cheat there is.

Get 2 bases, an interceptor and equip with dual plasma cannons.

Transfer the interceptor, then send it on a mission. As long as it does not return to base it will keep flying forever. Handy to have. Believe me, it is the thing that has kept me in the game. Unfortunately it does not work for avengers, but I am not sure about firestorms or lightenings. It would be great though, station an avenger/firestorm near alien base, and never worry about resources again..... :D

The infinite fuel bug is generally for ships that have just been transferred. The default starting ship has normal fuel.

- NKF

You can change the armor for your troops when their transport is in the air. Just go to the soldier's menu, and change it. It's sorta handy, when you've just built/transferred some armor, and the craft is almost at a site. But how often does that happen, really? :rolleyes:

How about this.  If you go to your workshop and select to build something, build only 1, and put no technicians on it.  Go back to geoscape.  Then go back to workshop and put technicians on it.  Presto! when it is done, you pay nothing, lose no resources or anything.  I know it works in TFTD, and i'm pretty sure it works for UFO defense.

sorry, only works in TFTD :Blush: This one also only works in TFTD

if you hover over a section of roof that takes only half a square, then go down, you can walk inside

How about this:

1)My dad got 14 guys on a lightning

2)I was walking to a door on the UFO and my guy walked though a wall to get there!!!!! :o :0

Actually, the free manufacturing exploit works just fine in both 1 & 2...the trick is to create the task, but leave the number to build as ZERO, not 1. Click OK until you get back to the list of current production, and the project will be on the list, but will show a dash (-) in the days/hrs left column. This will cost you NO resources or $. Then, simply click on the project (no need to return to geoscape or even leave the production screen) and assign workers to the task and increase the number produced to 1 (you can set it to a higher number, but subseqent units in the same batch will cost the normal $ and resources)

This exploit works in all versions of Xcom1 & 2 (not sure about the original UFO, but probably there too)

-Crus8r

It's also very handy when you build plasma tanks with it. You can sell them for 980K, after building them for free! They also give the best $/hour ratio using the engineering cheat.

After you've made a few hundred million from building them, how about keeping a few for yourself? :)