XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Catch Overspawn Alive?

BurnThemALL

(the toilet is with us... as far :ph34r:)

OK, so it is impossible, and I'm 79,34% sure about that. There is existing ufopaedia entry with Overspawn photo, but there are photos of "One Way to Victory", "Vip", "Soldiers" and others. I belive that those are bugs caused by 'undevelopment' of the Apoc. Same happened to the Overspawn... (I guess)

May the :master: GOLDEN TOILET :master: shine upon you.

Yes, Extralucas is correct, there is no way I know of to capture a live overspawn without cheating. However, if you use an editor, you can make live overspawn a researchable topic.

May the :master: GOLDEN TOILET :master: shine upon your path :)

You mean ENTIRE topic, with describe and else UFOpaedial stuff, or only photo ('cos this one you can find in your game dir)

let the odour of :master: GOLDEN TOILET :master: never leave you

• 7 months later...

Really?

Well, the're not that much of a problem, if you eliminate them before they get into the city (Motherships usually drop them outside the city). The real issue is that they pose as a decoy while the mothership attacks.

Whatever happens, X-COM always prevails! ^_^

THere is no tactical on Overspawn. When you kill one then you can research his corpse without recovering it. And they aren't such a threat either. They usually kill themselves with falling concrete.

THere is no tactical on Overspawn.  When you kill one then you can research his corpse without recovering it. And they aren't such a threat either. They usually kill themselves with falling concrete.

True. Like I said, the're mostly there as a decoy while the Mothership attacks our ships...

Too bad there isn't a special "Alien Gas craft launcher"... that would have been interesting!

Yes, but when mothership drops Overspawn then it returns to the Alien Dimension as soon as possible. They just come, drop the suicide attacker, and leave. :)

Or in my case, come in, get pounded for a few minutes by my ships, then blow a fuse and float down to the floor, get raided by my troops and then taken back to base for a thorough investigation :naughty:

• 1 year later...

There's no such thing as stun damage in the cityscape. Just pure damage.

Some players have reported that a overspawn will suddenly appear in containment (assuming enough space) after defeating, thus allowing the live research. Otherwise, for the most part, it just dies. It's no big deal unless you're a completist, you're going to have to be really patient or really lucky.

It's just one of the hundreds of disabled or half done features that they never got round to implementing.

Megaspawn on the other hand are easy peasy to capture, be it with stun grapples, stun grenades and some weapon to knock its health down to 80 and under. It's keeping them alive once they're down that's the real trick. Especially if the megaspawn is suffering from wounds or if there are errant poppers roaming the countryside that decide to drop in on the soldier watching the megaspawn (who's standing on it to keep it out cold).

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Some players have reported that a overspawn will suddenly appear in containment (assuming enough space) after defeating, thus allowing the live research. Otherwise, for the most part, it just dies. It's no big deal unless you're a completist, you're going to have to be really patient or really lucky.

It's just one of the hundreds of disabled or half done features that they never got round to implementing.

Megaspawn on the other hand are easy peasy to capture, be it with stun grapples, stun grenades and some weapon to knock its health down to 80 and under. It's keeping them alive once they're down that's the real trick. Especially if the megaspawn is suffering from wounds or if there are errant poppers roaming the countryside that decide to drop in on the soldier watching the megaspawn (who's standing on it to keep it out cold).

- NKF

Well, I'm working on a big strategy guide right now, so if any of you come across one, do me a favor: Save/Reload and try taking it out with every possible weapon type just in case there is some special rule. I'll do the same. I wish there some way to get the AI to send motherships. I've tried going to the Alien Dimension and shooting everything but the MSes but that doesn't seem to work. Yeah, I had a megaspawn drop from one stun grenade in a turn-based medium difficulty game recently. They really aren't very dangerous in TBS.

Edited by Pherdnut

• 1 month later...

Some players have reported that a overspawn will suddenly appear in containment (assuming enough space) after defeating, thus allowing the live research.

Hmmm... which players reported that?

I just finished the game (quicker than I wanted, being keen to see if I can capture the Overspawn by shooting down the Mothership before it drops it... no cigare) and took a peek inside ufopaedia .mt file. Mistake or not, there is no entry for Overspawn itself there, but there are two entries for Overspawn autopsy. Usualy the player gets the second one, but even if you cheat with an editor, you'll get in the end two different entries for Overspawn Autopsy...

Nice game to play, probably I'll start a new one on Superhuman...