XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What Are The Tftd Damage Modifiers?

Lobster Dan

• 4 weeks later...
Generally weapons do 0-200% of the damage (the exact value is random for each shot) listed in ufopaedia. Then armor value is subtracted from it and the remaining damage is applied to the health. Some aliens are more vulnerable/resistant to the certain weapon types - if alien has 150% vulnerability to some weapon then the weapon will deal 0-300% of it's stated damage.

There are actually a few different questions here. Let me try to answer them.

• How exactly does armor affect damage?.
    Which type of armor? Human or alien? In the end it really doesn't matter as all armor functions the same. Like xalien mentioned, weapon damage is calculated first. Then the damage modifier for that alien/armor is applied. After this, the damage is subtracted from armor and the final number is applied to health.

• What Are The Damage Modifiers From Armor?
    Just remember that aliens in TFTD are much harder to kill because most are resistant to the different damage types. This equates to a value X-COM wikipedia today.

As a side note, I prefer not to use the conventional terms "vulnerable" or "resistant" to describe the damage modifiers. This is because the damage modifier numbers are presented in an ambiguous manner. Therefore I lean to the term "susceptible".

How much damage is done by each specific ammo type? Neglecting the damage modifiers here they are:

AP: 0-200%

Gauss: 0-200%

Sonic: 0-200%

Stun(Freeze): 0-200%

Blade: 0-200%

Electric Shock: 0-200%

These weapons have an average damage listed by the USOpaedia, but to make things interesting the game rolls a number between 0 and 200% and applies that to each shot. The higher the listed damage, the smaller the probability you will see any specific damage number happening.

There are 2 additional ammunition types which are different:

High Explosive: (Listed/2) to (Listed*3/2)

HE always does a minimum damage greater than 0, but the max is not as high as normal ammo types. In the end, the average damage is still the same.

Phosphor/Fire: Not exactly sure how damage modifiers fit in here yet, but the range is different:

Unit On fire: No damage if it doesn't catch fire. If the unit does catch fire, the range is between 5 and 10 damage points irregardless of listed damage.

Unit Standing in fire: 1-12 damage points per turn.

If you would like to see the mechanics behind these calculations, please visit the Damage Modifiers for Aliens thread in the StrategyCore forums. It deals specifically with the aliens from UFO, but most of the info presented there applies to TFTD too. ;)

- Zombie

No problem. :)

By the way, I added susceptibility (Damage Modifier) ratings for both UFO: Enemy Unknown and Terror From The Deep today to the X-COM wiki (see linky in my post above). It is far from finished, but at least everyone has a reference from now on. (Take a gander at column 10 for the Lobster Man numbers. See why it is so difficult to kill)?

Enjoy everyone! :D

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...
I've found the complete list of damage modifiers for XCOM 1, but I can't find them for X-COM 2.

I have the FAQ that gives generic "vulnerable to" / "resistant to" weapons, but I'm looking for the percentages.

In case anyone else comes through asking, Zombie has posted them at http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=D...iers_%28TFTD%29

:D

Thanks for bringing this up. I knew there was a second damage modifier topic for TFTD sitting around here. *presses merge button* There. :)

Just remember that none of those numbers have been quantified yet. There are some minor differences between the OSG and the executable. Don't know why yet. so the numbers in the wiki are from the OSG until it gets ironed out completely. =b

- Zombie

Yes, gaze in awe at column 10 for the lobsterman. See exactly why it's such a bugger to take out. The coelacanth and displacer, assuming they use the same stats as in UFO's tanks, should, in theory, take 100 from everything except perhaps stun. But don't quote me on that.

And just for those who want to work out the how actual numbers work, first take your weapon damage, multiply it by 2 for non-explosive weapons (this is the initial damage range multiplier), then multiply it by the number in the columns and finally divide it by 100.

For explosive weapons (stun and HE only), take your weapon damage, add half of the weapon damage to it (basically weapon damage + (weapon damage / 2)), then multiply it by the numbers in the columns and divide by 100.

These will give you the maximum amount of damage that you can deal to the alien before subtracting the armour from damage. Damage will be a roll between 0 and the upper level damage (Explosives/Stun start at 50% and go up to the upper level).

Blade damage needs to be checked to see if it gets the x2 or the +50% damage range multiplier. I'm going to assume it has a x1 range multiplier - as the x2 multiplier makes even the vibroblade way too powerful to use against lobstermen. x2 and then the lobsterman's 200% vulnerability would make the vibroblade do between 0 - 380 damage. That's inconceivable, as in actual practice they take at least two hits on average - and even then the second hit may only wound it enough to push its health below the small amount of stun damage that it receives.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Blade damage needs to be checked to see if it gets the x2 or the +50% damage range multiplier. I'm going to assume it has a x1 range multiplier - as the x2 multiplier makes even the vibroblade way too powerful to use against lobstermen. x2 and then the lobsterman's 200% vulnerability would make the vibroblade do between 0 - 380 damage. That's inconceivable, as in actual practice they take at least two hits on average - and even then the second hit may only wound it enough to push its health below the small amount of stun damage that it receives.

If TFTD follows the same conventions as UFO, the the damage range for melee weapons should be 0 to 2x the strength listed. After that, the modifier is tacked on. In the case of Lobbie men, the range should be between 0 and 4x listed. (I thought vibroblades have 80 listed damage?) If this is the case then the range inflicted is between 0 and 320.

Of course, as the range increases, the probability of an instant kill improves. If my calculations are correct, a Vet Lobbie will die approximately 70% of the time from a single poke of a vibroblade.

As always, these numbers have to be quantified before making such calls, but experience tells me we are close. :wink1:

- Zombie

Yes, I miscalculated. It is 0 - 320.

But again, that's ridiculously high! Even assuming we have average the damage and take away the armour, it's still on the high side. Assuming superhuman level lobsterman armour of 24, we have (80 * 2) / 2 - 24 = 136.

But if we don't multiply the drills by 2 as per normal weapon damage (or look at it this way, double the damage, but treat lobsterman modifier as 1.00), take average damage and subtract armour, we should get (80 * 2 / 2) - 24 = 56. This certainly sounds a bit more reasonable and fits into the two-hit defeat of lobstermen a lot better.

Could it be that the lobsterman section really should read 100% rather than 200%?

- NKF

• 1 year later...

If I'm not mistaken, it's the value just above drill damage.

If you're modding a weapon, be warned that the only alien that is vulnerable to it is the Biodrone (+20%), all others take normal damage. Civilians and X-Com units up to the plastic aqua armour are particularly vulnerable to it.

- NKF

NKF Thx, but my main goal is Find the ~100% (+/-20%) of damage for all creatures... Drills gets a 200% damage for Lobsters and 60% for Hallucinoids => not interesting...

Well, let see to the field damage type in X-com Multi Editor:

0 - AP

1 - Phospour

2 - Explosive

3 - Gauss

4 - Sonic

5 - Freeze/Stun

6 - Drill/Blade

7 - logically it must to be a "goal" - Electric Shock, but it kills aquanauts, aquatoids, destruct the terrain, but do nothing for any else...

Than I tested other numbers of " Damage Type" and revealed that numbers 24,29,34... destruct terrain and kills everybody with one shot even with damage value = 25 units...

Yes Vitk0, Electric Shock is indeed #7 (it is the damage type for the Deep Ones I believe). #7 corresponds to the Acid Spit damage type in Enemy Unknown for the Celatid.

A damage type of Electric Shock doesn't stun. Stun is only produced by the Freeze/Stun setting (#6). Electric Shock is a damage type capable of killing. If this damage type isn't killing other units besides Aquatoids, Zombies, Civilians and "Unarmored" X-COM soldiers, then did you edit the damage modifier numbers in the executable? If you changed the last number in each DM category to 0, then obviously no other units will be hurt (they are all 100% as the default setting). It sounds like this is the case since the other damage types actually killed. :wink1:

Late Edit: Sorry, I figured out what the problem was. I must have added the damage modifiers from the OSG to the wiki rather than the numbers found in the executable. As you can probably tell, the OSG was wrong. The Deep One, Gill Man, Tasoth, Calcinite, Tentaculat, Lobsterman, Xarquid, Hallucinoid and Triscene have 0 for Electric Shock rather than 100. This is the reason why you didn't see those units taking damage. I updated the wiki to reflect this.

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie
New Info

Hm... Thanks for answer... But I search the weapon damage type ( a la number...) who has 100% and 0% resistense of damage for every object in game... :-( Best case for me - direct changing of resistant values for aliens and/or for weapons.

(reason - get balance of weapons )

Ah, I see. Then the answer is no, there isn't a damage type in the game which affects all units equally. Stun comes close, but to make everything 100% susceptible to a damage type you would need to edit the damage modifiers in the executable itself. :wink1:

- Zombie

• 10 months later...
...would need to edit the damage modifiers in the executable itself...

Thanks for explaining how to do it on the UFOpaedia TFTD Damage Modifier page... I `ve done it...:-) We plane to make GUI weapon editor with ability "changing damage modifiers" in a future...

Great to hear! Please keep us updated on your progress. :)

- Zombie