XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Tftd Devoured My Entire Weekend, Again

reckoner

Some of many reasons why I love this game, over a decade since its release:

- Capturing a live deep one with a thermal tazer is extremely satisfying

- Unexpected catastrophic failure. Just when I think a mission is too easy, an alien fires a DPL at my men!

- Tentaculats - seeing one of those brainy things on my screen is always an "oh crap" moment.

- Turning the tide of the war, after having so many rookies die - finally getting a bunch of veterans will full mag. ion armor and sonic cannons/DPLs kicking the crap out of everything

- That feeling you get when you loot a Fleet Supply Cruiser and sell off all the stuff

- The first time I fire a disrupter pulse launcher and see it rip open a building

- Guessing alien hideouts correctly with grenades

- Getting sonic oscillators

- Getting enough Zrbite for a fleet of Mantas, and taking down dreadnaughts with coordinated attacks

- Completing a colony/synnonium site mission - immense amounts of relief

- Getting the displacer sonic SWS with 100 TUs and 100 shots :)

- Getting MC - gets boring after a while but after a long hard campaign it feels soo good to let the aliens blow each other up

- Being able to skip some of the later terror missions because you've worked up enough points that month

- Remembering how impossible you thought this game was when you first got it, just as you're about to finish the final mission

Weekend? God! XCOM 1, 2 and 3 has devoured months of my life! Sadly, I have never finished XCOM2. So much harder than X1 or X3. I'll have to get around to finishing it. I hear the final mission is just brutal. Is that true?

The first part might be, as the aquatoids are almost all armed with DPLs. The next level's so-so (and has some rare underwater Deep-Ones), the very last part is rather poorly done and you are railroaded to the final chamber. A bit of a let-down for the final mission, unless it's your first time. A bit more exciting than UFO's final mission, but not as gratifying as your standard 2-parter mission like the shipping lane terror site and the colonies.

- NKF

Edited by NKF