XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What Mods Do You Use?

Bad-Wolf

I just really started playing TFTD after UFO defense and I have some a question for everyone.

What mods do you use for TFTD? I want it to be ridiculously difficult but I don't want difficult to mean difficult to play ie bugs or gross imbalances (more on what I mean by imbalances in my last sentence) that make no sense. I am using xcomutil right now and playing iron man veteran.

I am not sure if I really like some of the stuff that xcomutil does however I am not completely sure what the difference in dmg it allocates for the different gauss weapons. I am in the second month fighting aquatoids and gillmen with their respective terrorists and the gauss rifle is generally a one shot kill. I don't think I like the infinite ammo for it. It seems like the ammo for sonic weapons flood in though. Why is it that most of the players I see saying that sonic ammo needs to be concerved? The blasta rifle is better than the gauss rifle and I am literally choking on the clips after the very first month? Why ever bother with gauss weaponry other than its cheapness due to xcomutil? Is all the above that I have written not true when you don't have xcomutil? ( by that I mean generally what all is different about the game that would throw off the above comments) I don't mind that the baracuda and other fighters have transport spots because I can just choose not to use them as this is what I do. However, with weapon strength this is a bit different of course.

***If you use xcomutil what do you toggle on? I am considering just toggling off the improved weapons feature for TFTD but I wanted to see who all uses this feature and what you all think of it.

Thanks for you comments; I am just trying to get the most authentic TFTD experience (which I was told is supposed to be freakishly hard) minus the annoying bugs. Also I don't mind unbalances against, but unbalances for me do bother me as that would detract from the aforementioned authentic TFTD experience.

P.S. It is confusing talking to people on the forum when everyone seems to be using different mods and editors and things :hammer: The polls on favorite/best weapons are even more confusing because people say things contradictory to each other but true only for their version/modded game.

Edited by Bad-Wolf

I try to keep thing as untouched by X-Comutil as possible, but with some of the more positive benefits that XComutil provide for game stability. I can't for the life of me remember what most of them were to be honest. ;) The one that bugs me the most would have to be the ripped up base maps that help avoid the base disjoint bug. But there are workarounds for that. The 'enhanced' weapons, as they call it, can be disabled.

Then I also like to make a duplicate copy of the game that I run with most of the bells and whistles X-Comutil provides.

As for what I use in discussions: My references always leans towards the plain vanilla game. No mods to the weapons whatsoever - no matter how appealing that unlimited ammo gauss pistol happens to be. I don't know how many others really enjoy building huge stockpiles of gauss pistol clips. ;) Part of the fun is managing your ammo supply.

Sonic ammo conservation: For the sonic cannon, this doesn't mean using it as little of its ammo as possible to build up a stockpile. It really refers to being more careful with its use. The sonic cannon only has a 10 round clip, so you can go through the ammo clips fast if you're careless with your shots. You do end up with a ridiculous amount later on, so it's find to splurge a bit every so often.

Stockpiing ammo for the sonic pistol and blasta-rifle on the other hand is more important because these weapons become exotics once the aliens switch over to Sonic Cannon. It becomes very difficult to harvest ammo for them once the aliens have almost exclusively switched to the sonic cannon. If you're like me and really enjoy using the sonic pistol, you'll find the ammo to be at quite a premium. This might pertain more to superhuman difficulty, since they progress to the cannons a lot faster.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bad-Wolf,

I changed some stuff in the executable and OBDATA to make the game a lot more challenging without ridiculous imbalances like you mentioned (like the +100% accuracy for some aliens in harder levels!).

I changed most of the Subs Weapons in order to get a more balanced fight against Aliens.

Also all alien weapons are not very effective agains aliens, this way Traditional and Gauss weaponry dont become obsolete (and you have to constantly manufacture them).

I did not like a lot of Alien Stats, I adjusted their Accuracy for harder levels, and gave some "harmless" aliens better stats.

I changed a lot of Routes files, since there are many bugs related to these. Now Triscenes appear in more open places and no aliens get "trapped" in rooms nor USOs.

I changed Damage Modifiers for a more balance fight (personally I find it ridiculous that a Lobsterman can take +100 AP shots and not look like a Gruyere Cheese).

Finally, I changed all Alien Selling prices, and incorporated Aqua plastics as an ingredient for Gauss Weapons and Clips.

I used some Enhancements from StrategyCore Files section, but the have many bugs which crash the game.

If you want I will be glad to send you these files ;)

Uncy