13 replies to this topic

#1 mrmrcoleman

mrmrcoleman

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:27 PM

Does anybody use the Motion Scanner? I always find it is easier to send in a Rookie =b

Does anyone have any stories of when the Motion Scanner came in handy? I want to use it, but I just don't seem to need to!

Mark

#2 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

For me, it just gives me a heads up and tells me that there are aliens here but not necessarily all the aliens.

It shouldn't be relied on 100%. Use the information it gives you to your advantage, but always remain cautious.

The blip sizes are also a good way of getting an idea of how exhausted the aliens are. The less TUs they have, the less reaction fire you'll be facing. Pity the scanner has such short scanning range.

One place I use it often is when disembarking from a ship. I generally wait a while before I disembark in order to prepare my grenades and to pick off any aliens that are near the ramp. If the scanner picks up any aliens creeping up from my blind sides, I then make use of area effect weapons to knock these aliens out. Generally in the form of throwing a high explosive pack, firing a large rocket or a stun bomb. Works wonders - although civilians in terror sites can be a bit of a problem.

Stewart's optimal base setup makes use of the missile defence module to control the flow of aliens from the hangars into the base. By stationing a soldier with a motion scanner upstairs, no aliens will be able to enter the base undetected. I haven't tried this myself, but I feel that, in theory, it can be very effective. Similarly, a soldier stationed on the roof of a UFO near the entrances can give you an early warning of any aliens approaching the door. Again, the bigger the blip, the less reaction fire it'll provide. Besides, if you'd rather barge into the UFO rather than wait for the aliens to leave, you don't want to do it when there's an alien on the other side of the door.

The scanner is just like the medikit. It's not a necessity and you can get by just fine without it, but it does have its uses.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#3 mrmrcoleman

mrmrcoleman

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

Some good points. I hadn't thought about getting off the craft, will have to try it out.

Mark

#4 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

Check out the thread on base defense; I use the scanner for base defense, and when exiting craft.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#5 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:29 PM

Indeed, stewart's Base setup for Defense strategy partially hinges on two things: the Missile Defenses as the choke point and a soldier with a Motion Scanner standing upstairs in that structure. The scanner acts like a an early warning system to detect aliens before they infiltrate the choke point. Sweet strategy, and an excellent use of the Motion Scanner. :)

- Zombie
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#6 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,529 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

The motion scanner in this case is icing on the cake, the main thing is the missile defenses with the general stores next to it.
Posted Image

#7 Dover

Dover

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

I've made experiments with the motion scanner, and besides sticking it on guys who are likely to panic, I've found almost no use for it. If the alien is mobile, I already know where he is, and if he isn't, the scanner is worthless.

During most of my base defense missions (They're few and far between, thanks to Mr. Mind Shield), I end up having about 4 guys defending a small, expendable airbase in siberia. With that kind of force, I just can't spare one of them to be a motion scanner jockey when an extra heavy plasma or a blaster launcher would be much more helpful.

My point being: Outside manufacture for funds, the motion scanner is utter and completely garbage.

#8 Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

I use 'em. Nice for seeing how many aliens are in smaller UFOs or tracking down that last one in a battleship. Very nice for seeing whether or not they're at the front or back of one of a Medium Scout. Those ships can be pretty dangerous to enter.

#9 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

Dover: I'd like to point out that the exact same thing can be applied to other tools and items as well - except the manufacturing for profit part.

Items such as the smoke grenade, medikit, electro flare, stun rod, laser pistol, heavy plasma, mind probe, and the psi amp, just to name a few. They're just tools that may or may not fit into your strategy. They don't have to.

About the only useless object in the entire X-Com series is the dart gun from TFTD, but even then I grudgingly admit its 'stat training' use. But that's just bias talking. ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 07 February 2006 - 10:32 PM.

#10 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,529 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

The only thing I havent found a use for in XCOM 1 is the incendiary Rocket, everything else has a use, even fusion ball launchers.
Posted Image

#11 Dover

Dover

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

I suppose you're right, NKF. In fact, I don't use about half the stuff you named, although a lot of people swear by the smoke grenade.

The incendiary rocket may not have any use in combat, per-say, but they do have their novelty value. I can't help but to crack up when I see a reaper running back in forth while on fire. Or even a civilian...

Plus they do bring light like nothing else.

#12 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,529 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:45 PM

They do indeed light up a big patch of ground but autofired AC-I does so much more.
Posted Image

#13 Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

I've never had incendiary ammo work for me. All my guys carry an electro flare each on night missions. That's more than sufficient. Fire just gets civies killed, blocks entrances, throws up smoke where I don't want it, and just makes a general chaotic mess out of things. It is funny though.

#14 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:47 PM

Just so you know, fire doesn't block movement. You only get hurt when you end the turn and end up standing in fire. Smoke and fire also can't really coexist in the same tile, at least, not for long. Therefore, if you need to cross an location that's on fire, you can safely walk through it. Just make sure you don't end the turn while standing on fire.

The incendiary rocket's only real purpose is to be an incendiary ammo type that blankets a large area. That's it. It's all about the blast area - nothing else. In terms of effectiveness, it's no less effective than the ACI or HCI shells. It's the incendiary ammo's more unsual traits that make it unique, apart from its 5-10 impact damage and 1 - 12 continuous damage as long as the unit is ablaze/standing in fire. (The unusual traits being dealing stun damage to ALL units standing in smoke or raw health damage to units standing in fire every time an incendary explosion occurs)

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 08 February 2006 - 10:48 PM.