XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Group Bunkers Maps

Blehm 98

Okay, i plan on having a group of us(5 or 6) and then making a map with bunkers on it, based on the UFO and Base Walls, but also mixed with some terror site buildings and ground tiles(trees and abandoned brick warehouses)

So volunteers sign up!

well, it would actually be kind of simple.... oh yeah, we need a standard. Only Alien Base walls, since they are not invincible, but also have firing ports in them. i'll look into what sets to use... actually, we may need Area 51(or the city map) that hobbes made, since i use one of them

Alright, i found a map files combination, use this one only, and be sure you have Hobbes' City(might say apartments) map installed

edit: actually, scratch that, i'm going for Area 51, its way more militarily designed

Edited by blehm

Alright, i found a map files combination, use this one only, and be sure you have Hobbes' City(might say apartments) map installed

edit: actually, scratch that, i'm going for Area 51, its way more militarily designed

It will be better if you use the new version of the tiles because it has quite a lot of changes (you can make the maps but you risk having to redo them after the new version comes out). I still haven't finished the map files but I can post the new terrain files here if you wish.

U_BASE

U_WALL02

ROADS

URBAN

those are the tiles i have chosen, and they seem to fit. I'll upload the first one shortly

edit: uploaded file, use it as a guide to base your maps on, but also use some of the ROADS and URBAN tiles

UFO2Kmaps.zip

Edited by blehm

uh, yeah, umm, i remembered that after i posted that all, i'll get a screenie up

edit: crap, i uploaded everything and then didn't submit modified post

hmm, after i uploaded everything it stayed with this post even though i didn't submit it. Nice

Groupbaseblehm1level1.gif

Groupbaseblehm1level2.gif

Groupbaseblehm1level3.gif

Groupbaseblehm1level4.gif

Edited by blehm

Yeah. In plain view, but you'll have to do quite a bit of thinking. ;)

EDIT:

The stairs are now lifts, to stop sneakypeople blowing them up and denying access, there is an inconspicous Petrol Pump on the bottom floor (winkwink) the building is also accessible from all 4 directions rather than just 2. Some secret passages added on second floor, and crates/doodahs added as defenses on the upper two floors. Central lift expanded to 4x4 (from 2x2) and has a few obstacles also.

The third floor has some wierd organic stuff going on, and the interior of the bottom floor is all organic.

Edited by Exo2000

alright, i changed the first map a lot, and i made a new map that is essentially a fortress, with lots of places to fire on intruders, and a longer and less efficient way to get in. However, i have a good strategy i though up of to get in :) but i won't share it

i didn't feel like adding screenshots, since that takes a lot of time

download and view using mapview

please comment on them

UFO2Kmaps.zip

It doesn't really take a lot of time, use the MapEditor and do "Save Image" on the filemenu. :)

If you're using DaiShiva's Map Editor, that is.

Edited by Exo2000

how do you think i got the above pictures up?

yeah, but it takes time to save the pictures, put them in the right folders, upload them, and then post them

i'll get a new map and pics for both up tomorrow

I need a lot more people to help. I have a bunch of ideas and am working on them now. But i need your help, i don't want to make a bunch more maps all on my own :cry1:

I need a lot more people to help.  I have a bunch of ideas and am working on them now.  But i need your help, i don't want to make a bunch more maps all on my own :cry1:

Is it possible to transfer maps from mapview to mapview??? I thought I tried this, and it wouldn't read...?

you have to use the same tileset and you have to have it in the folder from which mapview recieves the files(mine is UFO/Maps

alright, 2 more maps, but i am positive one is empty

the new one is cool, it has 5 sniper towers and a heavily defendable base

UFO2Kmaps.zip

well, only one is 10x10

but either one is fine, just the ones i am using are rather elaborate and require those 20 spaces for the general design

10x10 or 20x20.

UFO2k supports 30x30s, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you wanted to be doing a LOT of mirroring and placing walls.

(60x60 is hellish, believe me)

EDIT: Bunker 03 attached. It's a vehicle/aircraft transit station. The transport on level 3 is supposed to be able to move down to the level below via a platform.

EDIT2: Retracted version added. Choose one!

Edited by Exo2000

Three open maps here, one with a slight amount of cover, one with some alien plants, and one that is just alien floor

edit: L.ol, i forgot to upload the maps

UFO2Kmaps.zip

Edited by blehm

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possibel to put the "ground" on level 3 and have several underground floors?

With some cover for the main entrances, other hidden ones (toilet booth *g*) and underground tunnels?

And everything set in a nuclear wateland (desert)...

That would be cool - Fallout style.

Edited by Violazr

Quite possible

In fact, easy, just the ground level would have to be level 3 as you said

However, there would be a lot of small underground tunnels, similar to Xbase, but i could make it cooler

• 3 weeks later...

CLEAR!!!! *zap*

It's breathing!

Its that time again folks, just this time i can't edit older maps since i accidentally corrupted my old mapview(i added a section and a subsection to it and that managed to corrupt its database, every time i load it now it is completely blank, but i'll put a few maps up later tonight

I don't know if this helps you, and maybe you know, but try this:

If any custom tilesets are missing, edit the image.dat in the program directory and write in all their paths. This way you don't have to add them every time.

And if the maps are missing in the paths, just choose "add existing".

Oh yeah, breakthough!!

I just figured out how to add a group successfully, just go to say any terrain file, right click on its name, go to add subgroup, and then click on subgroup, and add a map

that creates a new subgroup under one of the 4 groups(the one you were in)

Can I help?

Edit: Too late, here's the Science Outpost, a 10x10x4 for ya.

First image: Ground floor, this is where you come in. Alien lift and stairs, also 4 large water storage tanks. These outposts can last for ages between resupply runs.

Second image: Storage floor. Stuffs are kept here, also a pair of elerium antimatter reactors. Mainly included because I'm looking forward to seeing this thing blown apart when one of those gets shot (that's what the gas pump's for - it's behind the stairs...)

Third Image: Observation level. This is where most of the observation happens. It's also where the main computer core is accessed via terminals on the left.

Final image: The roof. Loadsa viewscreens up here, seats and computer terminals. Not to be used in bad weather.

Edited by Blood Angel

Also, i'm not making any maps with Area 51 tiles because I had apartments installed before and Fort installed now, so someone else will have to make the maps with the city tiles

Alright, bad news, i did teh Add existing map, and the maps are now corrupted completely, which really sucks, because on most of them, i spent a VERY long.... afjaslkfjsald;fkjsdfjsk

i know whats wrong, tileset not in the right order :duh:

edit: crap, i put almost all of them in teh wrong order somehow, they are all garbled, does anyone know how i can get them to work even if the tilesets aren't in the same order?

Edited by blehm

If the tilesets are in different orders for each map, there's no other way than to re-write the maps. That's annoying (also happened to me with Normandy first), but there is a way to make it a little easier:

* First decide on a common tileset order that matches the existing ones best.

* Then try to put them in the right order one by one, starting with the last.

* Replace wrong tiles step by step.

This way, the map will only be partially garbled on each step, and you can still recognize it and replace entire groups of objects with the right ones (e.g. all computers become north walls).

I found that rather quick, because you're only editing and not thinking about layout in between. And I guess I don't have to tell you about the edit/fill option...

Edited by Violazr

most of the older ones had different tile settings, but i stayed with the garbled stuff and just fixed it up, but one of them is huge, and it would take hours to fix it up, probably longer than it took me to make it

Miniature Airport

1: Ground floor, with truck depot and main storage. There are 2 elevators, one to the secondary storage, 1 directly leading to the runway.

2: First floor, with a miniature runway and secondary storage.

3: Control room, with a passageway to dock directly with the aircraft/spacecraft

4: Roof

If i change order the map become garbled, everything has to be the exact right order or the file will not be saved right, all tiles are saved as coords or something, like 1:14, and it goes to section 1, unit 14

that would explain why it is garbled, 1:14 for U_BASE might not be teh same as 1:14 for U_WALL02

Starting from scratch it is, then, I'm afraid.

Now I'm giving you lucky things a preview of my Fort Bunker. This ground floor is designed to be impossible to attack, because you have to open a door then quickly make it up to another corridor whilst being shot at, or nervously open a door with lord knows how many lasers pointed at you.

Edited by Blood Angel

no, i was talking about my one rogue map that has the wrong order

so an hour and a half of work down the drain, that really sucks, it was really a nice bunker... I'm considering just fixing it up though - it really was a good map, i really feel bad :(

Blehm this situation happened to me before. Try double blanks in a row and see if that works. It fixed my problem so it might fix yours. :)

Yes all mini maps has to have the same exact order.

In fact I fixed my problem on two maps which is Mother Ship and Advanced Alien Base I think. :)

I'll try to help you as much as I can so we can have this great map rolling. ;)

Edited by Abyssion

@Blehm

The tiles are simply counted through from 0 up to 253 in the order you put the tilesets. And in the map editor, each coordinate is assigned the number of the tile you placed.

You can even see it in the tiles window.

So the map says a specific tile is #187, whatever is #187 in your new tileset order will go there.

@BA

That Map looks good, but is it supposed to be part of that alien base?

(EDIT: sorry, wrong topic)

Edited by Violazr

It's just a portion of an up-and-coming bunker which I haven't finished yet.

Edit: I lie, tis finished. It's the central command bunker

Ground floor: layout explained, this is mainly a storage area. The elevator leads up to the first floor, obviously.

First Floor: This contains the main power generator and the organic computer core (brain) in a corner. Also a continuation of water tanks and a plasma reservoir in the other corner. Windows in the south for shooting potential attackers.

Second floor: Control centre/dormitory. Sleeps the 25 bunker staff, as well as lets them work.

Roof: Dull, but keeps the occupants dry.

PS: Hint, I've made it really easy to break into, if you know how. This is so that if it is captured, it can easily be reclaimed. Can anyone work out how to break in?

Edited by Blood Angel

OK, I thought about contributing a map, so I downloaded the maps here - but...

All maps have different names. They will have to be the same except for the numbers when the .lua is written, so I renamed them like this:

bunker_00 - groupbaseblehm

bunker_01 - ufobunkermapblehm

bunker_02 - blehmbunker1

bunker_03 - bunkerblehm2

bunker_20 - cover field

bunker_21 - gross alien field thing

bunker_22 - open metal field

As you see, they are divided into types. If you stick to those names as a standard, we'll have a reference when talking about maps as well.

However, when using the given order (U_BASE, U_WALL02, ROADS, URBAN), every single map except bunker_oo was garbled. bunker_03 was completely empty.

So is that the right order?? If not which is it?

You must provide reliable standards for maptiles and names for this project to work.