13 replies to this topic

#1 noeru

noeru

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:27 PM

I sold all my sonic pistol before I reserach it and now I can't research sonic oscillator. Is there any place to find sonic pistol later in the game?
Coz even those very small allen sub use only sonic blaster but not pistol.

Edited by noeru, 20 May 2004 - 11:31 PM.

#2 Arky

Arky

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:39 PM

eventually you might cross over a medic or a soldier that will carry a sonic Pistol... Just be patient :wave:
- Arky
"Buddhists believes in Nirvana, X-COM fans believes in Genesis."

Haunted by Ethereals in your dreams?
Think you're chased by a lobsterman?
You neighbor's favorite pet is a Brainsucker?
All that means you've been affected by the X-COM Syndrome.

Posted Image

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:11 AM

The aliens generally phases out the pistol class weapons in preferenc for the sonic cannons, though you may occasionally find an alien using one. They get phased out really quickly on harder difficulty levels.

So hoarding the clips or building the clips are your only options. Building clips isn't particularly desireable on account of its inefficient use of zrbite...

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#4 Arky

Arky

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:00 PM

another way would be to "cheat" your way in... download an editor, and then you can edit your base inventory, and add one sonic pistol, and one pistol clip. I don't think it would be really considered as cheating, IMO. :D
- Arky

Posted Image

#5 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:28 PM

If you have researched the sonic oscillator, you've already researched the sonic pistol and clip. Therefore, if you really want that mediocre weapon, you'll have to manufacture it yourself.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#6 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:39 PM

i think he ment now he CAN'T research it.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#7 Arky

Arky

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:53 PM

i think he ment now he CAN'T research it.

Agreed. We'll have to wait until noeru comes back to read this topic. -_-
- Arky

Posted Image

#8 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:04 PM

Rule of thumb:

Start EVERY research project on your research list the moment they become available. That way even if you do sell off all of the object, you will still have everything you need to research the project.

The only projects that don't show up immediately when you get some are sub construction and M.C Readers (oh, and disrupter pulse launchers, but they're easy to get), so always keep at least one of these until you've researched everything.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#9 noeru

noeru

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:30 PM

Oh, I mean I need to reserach sonic pistol so that I can research sonic oscillator. The typo must confused a lot of ppl.

Without it, I can only attack Allen subt that size Medium or under... if it's bigger Allen sub I had to let it go.

Edited by noeru, 20 May 2004 - 11:31 PM.

#10 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 02:53 AM

Was it like that? I remember the research tree worked like sonic rifle and sonic cannon would be enough to get the sonic oscillator. :huh?: I suggest you use the editor to get a sonic pistol or another editor to get the research topic available. Your chances are about 1/100 to find a pistol in a mission anymore. :unsure:
There's no need for a sig..

#11 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:13 AM

Was it like that? I remember the research tree worked like sonic rifle and sonic cannon would be enough to get the sonic oscillator.  :huh?:

nope, that would be UFO (heavy plasma / plasma rifle = plasma cannon). in TFTD you need all sonic weaponry (sonic pistol, rifle, cannon) to unlock Sonic Oscillator.
i agree, "cheating" would be the best way to deal with it.

Edited by SupSuper, 21 May 2004 - 03:53 AM.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#12 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:32 AM

nope, that would be UFO (heavy plasma + plasma rifle = plasma cannon). in TFTD you need all sonic weaponry (sonic pistol, rifle, cannon) to unlock Sonic Oscillator.

nope, in ufo it's enough if you research only heavy plasma + clip and you get sonic cannon. ^_^ Check it yourself if you don't believe me..
There's no need for a sig..

#13 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:54 AM

nope, that would be UFO (heavy plasma + plasma rifle = plasma cannon). in TFTD you need all sonic weaponry (sonic pistol, rifle, cannon) to unlock Sonic Oscillator.

nope, in ufo it's enough if you research only heavy plasma + clip and you get sonic cannon. ^_^ Check it yourself if you don't believe me..

sorry, i meant if you either research heavy plasma + clip or plasma rifle + clip u get sonic cannon.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#14 Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Oh, I thought it was pistol and rifle OR heavy plasma (and respective clips) to get plasma cannons. In any case, sonic pistols are totally worth using. Much better than plasma pistols from the original game, IMO. I don't think the pistols are ever completely phased out, but yeah, just cheat. It's no big deal.

Edited by Pherdnut, 10 June 2007 - 09:03 PM.