2 replies to this topic

#1 Ant

Ant

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:02 AM

I can teleport into the Alien Dimension with no problems, but when I land at a building and start a tactical mission, my game crashes. I hit the "raid building" button, the graphics scramble for a brief second, then the game crashes to desktop.

I noticed a zip file in the FAQ to replace the AD maps. Is this the error I am experiencing? I have the CE edition of Apoc and I've applied the other patches found here to get the game running under XP.

Thanks!

EDIT: I did the full install off the CE CD-ROM, if that makes a difference.

EDIT2: Looking around the forums, I noticed someone had problems with the movies that play when you land at an Alien Building. I remember one fix I needed to play was to disable the intro movie. This leads me to believe that my computer crashes on playing a movie. Perhaps one solution is to disable the movie from playing when I raid an AD building. Anyone think this is right? Anyone know how to do this?

Edited by Ant, 08 April 2005 - 09:09 AM.

#2 Seraphim

Seraphim

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:41 PM

Try copying the alien dimension maps from the CD to your hard drive.

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:47 AM

A number of players who'd had the same problem previously simply had corrupted alien dimension files (why these files in particlar ... who knows?)

A fresh reinstall (backup your savegames) or just copying over the map directories and their contents might work.

---

As for the movies - there's only three movies if I'm not mistaken. The intro and the two outtros (good and bad). I don't think there are any that are played when you land at an alien building.

But if you still think it's the movie player, you can manually run the smk player that the game uses to play these files to see if it's what's causing the problem.

The file name for the player is smkp.exe. I think it's under the ufoexe directory.

To run it, use the following command lines

smkp 1 GOFORIT

Use 2, or 3 to play the other two movies. The GOFORIT bit just tells to actually play otherwise it exits immediately.

If for some reason you cannot run any of the movies, try running it from the game's main directory, but put ufoexe\ into the filename.

ufoexe\smkp 1 GOFORIT

Give it a go and see if it is what's causing your problems.

I don't know why, but the smk player that comes with Apocalypse isn't all that good. It always seems to stutter when I play the movies. With a different SMK player, the movies play fine.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 09 April 2005 - 01:48 AM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

Reply to this topic