XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hotkey Mod Yet For Ufo?

Morken

The worst thing about this game is the lack of hotkeys.

has anyone made a mod that added hotkeys yet?

If you play the game, you WILL end up misclicking and sending soldiers walking to their death because the game FORCES you to use the mouse too much....

The game NEEDED hotkeys to scroll thru your soldiers (in battlescape) at the least!

Keyboard? What's that? ;)

In a funny sort of way, the game's quite novel for not needing the keyboard at all, except for entering labels. If they'd auto-generated the names and removed the ability to edit soldier and base names, this game would be keyboard free!

But yes, I agree that it would be more efficient if some keyboard hotkeys available. Like ending the turn, or using pgdn/pgdn and home/end to raise or lower soldiers and visual levels.

I wonder if it's possible to create a TSR of sorts for the battlescape that captures incoming keys before sending it to the game, and if it encounters a key that it's programmed to capture, it forces the mouse pointer to a particular point and mimics a click?

- NKF

I wonder if it's possible to create a TSR of sorts for the battlescape that captures incoming keys before sending it to the game, and if it encounters a key that it's programmed to capture, it forces the mouse pointer to a particular point and mimics a click?

Should be possible I'd imagine, though I'm not sure if a TSR would play nice with the tactical portion of the executable. :D

- Zombie

Yes, having a completely different set of keys for tactical and the geoscape would mess things up.

Getting it to know when the game switches would be the hard bit, or perhaps just have it load for tactical only. The next problem would be when you try to enter save game titles.

For example if you had the spacebar as the end-turn key, pressing the sparebar would just result performing a mouse pointer move and a click.

Definitely a lot of little niggling things like that to iron out.

- NKF

It would probably be easier decoding Apocalypse's executable to see how the programmers entered hotkey support. :laugh:

- Zombie