XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Check In Here if You're a Old/New Developer

Kratos

Trying to see where everyone is and what has happened. I'm targeting this post towards any and all previous/current developers. If it takes you a year to see this post and respond and you use to make any to little contributions, then still please respond. This isn't a roast or lynch, just a state of the game address. Maybe if we find out why people are leaving, we can resolve these issues. Perhaps we need more communication in grouping every once in awhile even when nothing is getting done. We all have lives so it's understandable, and we do this for free. I know this may be a bit intrusive (or even silly) to you, but feedback is better than no feedback.

Please check in and reply for the following:

- Your role (programmer, artist, composer, web designer, etc.)

- Active/In-Active

- Last feature you developed (it's ok if you don't remember, just guess)

- Plans for Ufo2k?

- Lost motivation due to other (lack of) developers?

- Just lurking/waiting?

- A more promising project than Ufo2k drew you in? (This is completely legit and no one will hang you for it)

- Any additional information to why you became inactive/active again?

----------------------------

I guess I'll start off

- Graphic Artist (though I have yet to contribute anything here as this role) / Amateur Programmer (nothing really that useful)

- In-Active

- Probably chrysalids (sp?) as units. 2-3 years ago?

- Yes. My plans are moving towards the thought of starting an actual story and graphical foundation as if we were making our own X-COM UFO. I'm not interested in swaying from the original style and 2D graphics for the battlescape.

- I feel I may have chain effected Serge on this. I don't exactly pop in enough to do anything worthwhile.

- Neither. Losing track of time and honestly forgetting about this project time after time.

- I'm developing my own retro game that has nothing to do with X-COM. I didn't mean to "leave" Ufo2k for it necessarily, just it's hard to find time for more than one.

- Like I said, with my current project, I'm always losing track. I also am attending college full time. I'm not going to claim I'm active currently though. I honestly don't know at this point.

Perhaps we need more communication in grouping every once in awhile even when nothing is getting done.

I agree! It would be nice to get a reply on my messages in mailing list.

OK, my answers are here.

Role

Programmer, Amateur Web Developer.

Activity

Active

Last feature

Last accepted feature is "Display enemy's points feature", it was included into 0.9.1129 release on 15th of May, 2010.

Last feature that is not accepted yet is "Fix for issue 578: Escape key selects the highlighted line in loading dialogs"

Plans for UFO2K

For gaining knowledge of the project I want to clean up bugs. Then I want to add features that will make UFO2K more user-friendly. This includes 2 things.

1. I want to convert server statistics page from HTML into XML.
  2. I also want to add tutorial campaign. Several things to be implemented to complete this goal: customizable match rules, interactive objects on battlefield, simple AI.

Lost motivation

I do not completely lost my motivation to develop the game. Lost some of it when my fixes were not accepted into official release for several months.

Lurking/waiting

I'm checking the state of the project weekly.

Other, more promising project

I have no other unpaid project which drives me off UFO2K.

Additional information

I'm active because I want to see UFO2K version 1.0 at last. And later versions too. And with my nickname in credits, yes! :)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not a developer, I hosted a ufo2000 server a while ago when the official server was down.

I can help anytime with servers/hosting/etc.

The strongest part of UFO2000 is the multiplayer, therefore I don't think stories and AI are priorities, there are other remakes which go this way.(I admit some people want to train with a simple AI first).

I think UFO2000 should focus on the multiplayer part, removing all bugs and making the interface looking better and more user friendly.

The multiplayer is what makes UFO2000 unique and what makes people still play it.

• 1 month later...

I want to help with the development too.

The forums here don't seem to be very active. Maybe there's some activity on the mailing lists and on IRC? (I haven't checked this yet.)

My role

I can help with programming. I work as a web developer (PHP and JS mostly), though I also know C, C++ (but it's been years since I've used these), Java, Perl, Lua, and probably a few more... I'm sure I can help.

Active/In-Active

Just joined.

Last feature you developed

None yet.

Plans for Ufo2k?

I wanted to create my own UFO1 clone, but insted decided to help with this project. I'd like to see this game to develop into a complete usable game, multiplayer and single player, and have all the strengths of the original games, + a lot more.

Lost motivation due to other (lack of) developers?

Just joined.

Just lurking/waiting?

I've known about this project for years, but didn't have the time/patience/resources to join earlier.

A more promising project than Ufo2k drew you in?

I saw the Xenocide project's earlier versions years ago... I don't know where they are at now. (But I'll check)

Any additional information to why you became inactive/active again?

Not much.

Plans for UFO2K

For gaining knowledge of the project I want to clean up bugs. Then I want to add features that will make UFO2K more user-friendly. This includes 2 things.

I have made a JS that works with the actual HTML version.

It makes statistics per user more accessible (you can access the profile of each gamer by clicking on them (even in the list where you see who is online))

And it give the palyer ranks. (Based on the original XCom soldier ranks).

Maybe we could join this toghether.

I am a frontend engineer (Programming Javascript, CSS2, 3 HTML4,5 xml, ActionScript and a little PHP)

I am not active on the project but i tried to :) It was kinda rejected. So i did not continue... (im a little busy, but if I know that it would be used, i would continue...)

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242034780

Edited by meodai

• 2 months later...

Thanks Meodai for joining and hopefully you can contribute to expand the game and make it alot better.... :D

Plans for UFO2K

I have made a JS that works with the actual HTML version.

It makes statistics per user more accessible (you can access the profile of each gamer by clicking on them (even in the list where you see who is online))

And it give the palyer ranks. (Based on the original XCom soldier ranks).

Maybe we could join this toghether.

I am a frontend engineer (Programming Javascript, CSS2, 3 HTML4,5 xml, ActionScript and a little PHP)

I am not active on the project but i tried to :) It was kinda rejected. So i did not continue... (im a little busy, but if I know that it would be used, i would continue...)

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242034780

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm going inactive because of my real life and do not see at this moment when I will return.

Cheers to all UFO fans!

You will be surely missed here, but real life is more important. Without any flattering, you have been the driving force behind all the latest ufo2000 fixes and improvements by submitting patches, providing bugreports and helping people in the forums. Good luck and welcome back any time.