XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom Fps Total Conversion(?)

feliciafan89

I couldn't find a forum that this topic would fit in, other than this one. I want to take a shot at making an X-Com Total Conversion for multiple different First-Person shooters.

It's not going to have that much depth to start with however. I'm going to make one using the Wolfenstein 3D engine, just to get started. Soon enough, I'm going to try my hand at making one in Quake II.

The project is going to take a while, but I'm going to give it everything I've got.

Does anybody have any (constructive) suggestions?

My only thing is that the wolfenstein engine is very old, it will be hard to get it working on newer computers, it will not run at all on 64 bit computers. well possibly dosbox. But I would think quake or halflife 1 would work much better even to start with. No point and restarting with the new engine.

Then I'll do it for Quake II. Quake I's engine just isn't deep enough for what I'll be doing. Besides, do you really want to put your gun in the center?

I've never done 3D models before, though, so I will need help in learning about making them, starting with the gun models. I'm not asking you guys to them for me, just a few tutorials or something on making them, and with what programs.

Please note: I have Windows NT 2000. My hard drive has around 10GB, with around 1GB free. I don't know what my RAM is, though.

yeah I didn't mean quake 1 I just meant not wolf3d. For models you might want to look at www.blender.org as it is free and they have tutorials to start aswell. If you right click your my computer and hit properties it should tell you the ram

Minimal specs for Hardware

300 MHz CPU

128 MB Ram

20 MB free hard disk Space

1024 x 768 px Display with 16 bit color

3 Button Mouse

Open GL Graphics Card with 16 MB Ram

you should be fine :)

Basicly an API like directx for graphics. if it crashes you might not have a proper card that fully supports open gl, drivers could not support opengl etc etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

Yeah, I do remember that FPS. I think it is dead now but if the source and everything is there maybe you could pick it up where it left off.

Edited by Darkhomb

Guest Azrael Strife
The Halflife 1 version was released by me, the halflife2 edition is not dead, its just temporary on hold because of the exams of pendra

Yes, it was, but it's still incomplete, as they stated themselves.

And if the first version was not even finished, I seriously doubt they will ever finish the Half Life 2 one, so yes, it's dead.

Personally i don't know much about fps engines, but i've seen a lot of different mods for doom 3, some of them quite ambitious like Recall to he!!. Maybe if anyone wants to do a X-Com fps tc, they should use D3 engine.

Most standard supermarket pc's can run D3 anyway. I know a low budget m2n-se with onboard video and a athlon x2 3800 can run no prob with medium settings @ around 20~25fps.

Edited by Ruivo

I'll have to do Quake II. My brother and sister-in-law (it's their house) are very strict about "M" games, and I was lucky enough to sneak just that into the house. The only other options are Doom, Doom II, and Wolfenstein 3D, none of which would be very deep as far as the ideas I'm using are concerned. As far as OpenGL, I either don't have it, or it's really screwed up.

Wich is easier to mod, original CD HalfLife or the "modular" steam version? Honestly i hate steam games because of these modules, they're kinda hard to mod.. at least comparing to the original