XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Infiltrator

Exo2000

After too much playing 1 man vs. however many else by myself, I am now officially cooking up a 50x50 base map perfect for "infiltrating" and assassinating type missions. Player 1 should only take 1 soldier!

On the far left there's a deep trench with stairs up to the "surface", then Player 1's lone man must start infiltrating the base. They'll have to sneak through the mess hall, etc. etc. :D

On the lowest floor near the starting area, there's a command center too. Perfect for your "Commander" units that are the target of the lone assassin.

• 1 month later...
I've decided to revamp this and will be working on it later with the SNOW, X-COM Base and Alien Base tilesets. (reminiscent of Siberia) Edited by Exo2000

Is this a working game mode, cause it sounds interesting? I think it would be kinda cool. If it were up to me, I would balance out the 1 soldier by giving him full view of the map -- its not realistic, but against a competent opponent, what chance would he really have?

Is this a working game mode, cause it sounds interesting? I think it would be kinda cool.  If it were up to me, I would balance out the 1 soldier by giving him full view of the map -- its not realistic, but against a competent opponent, what chance would he really have?

Depends. The whole point is to practice stealth. Of course a soldier dying isn't exactly stealthy in XCom because they scream... :P

• 1 month later...

never forget there must be someone who wants to play the defenders side too...

(i can already see people in chat channel, everyone of them wanting to play infiltrator, but not a single one convincable to take the over defenders role...)

next point of problem i see:

the infiltrator moves 1 single man... the defender a whole army. -> this will result in really long waiting times for the infiltrator... at the same time it will get pretty boring for the defender, because once his men are positioned, he does exactly the same thing every round: stand up from kneeling, take a whole look around, maybe walk some steps and take a whole turn there, just to come back to postion an kneel down there again. imagine having to do this for 10 soldiers, for more then 10 turns, bevor the infiltrator first shows up... thats 100 times taking a look around and waiting...

nice idea, but seems pretty hard to balance chances for both sides, and even harder to balance fun for both sides...

Edited by Llyr

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it would be interesting to play though... I did a little scenario where I had a few civilians armed with only knives, running out of the Mothership level; and they managed to kill quite a few sectiods in a matter of a few turns; and only two out of a few survived the ordeal.

It was pretty fun and funny. Those sectoids got owned by civilians with only knives. ROFL

• 3 months later...
Fun with proxis

Nice job bumping ancient topics. ¬¬

I think I'm going to have to change the tileset to Sand, as there aren't any good snow-slopes. :P

It bumped because "Search and destroy" (former HUNT) scenario brought this topic back to life.

I made one step toward allowing this scenario which is global deployment, which means you can deploy units anywhere on the map. And of course, the other side can be restricted to a limited area I.E. center.