XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Base Defenses

Guest stewart

During retaliation if a UFO takes damage but still makes it through the base defenses, does it reduce the size of the invading crew or are defenses all or nothing (the UFO gets through intact or doesn't get through at all)?

To my knowledge, it makes no difference. Because the odds of beating back a large battleship are not very good (unless you have LOTS of expensive defenses) I don't defend my bases at all. I just ensure that I have 2 to 4 extra squadies at each base armed with blaster launchers and heavy plasmas. Later in the game I also leave two fusion ball hover tanks with the squadies.

-Micah

[email protected]

www.xcomufo.com

I design my bases on the assumption that damaged UFO's have reduced crews. I think Casey Cheng said that was the case in his unofficial faq. If it's true then they are worth it. But if it's all or nothing then, yeah, I agree don't build them at all; maybe just a mind shield and that's it.

In my own experience I have never been invaded with 5 fusion and a grav shield; litterally after hundreds of attempts. It has, though, on occasion taken that 10th shot to nab the UFO. I don't make my bases impregnable any more; those constant invasions are really annoying. Best to fight out so they'll go away.

It's funny once you defeat an invading UFO you might get one more attempt but after that the alien /side/ has to rediscover your base. This would indicate that the aliens don't share knowledge. Perhaps they are competing with each other for status vis-a-vis "The Brain".

I do agree with Kasey's idea of a good base layout. By having the hangars and acces lift seperated as much as possible from the rest of the base, you can bottle-neck all the aliens in just one room. That's the way I design most of my bases. I have an interesting thought. What if you used an editor and removed the access lift and all the hangars? Where would the aliens come in?

-Micah

[email protected]

www.xcomufo.com

What I do, I am trying to research grav shield and fusion ball defences asap.

With 4 fusion ball defences and 1 grav shield, NOTHING WILL BE ABLE TO ASSAULT YOUR BASE. Such a defense cobination will be able to destroy any battleship.

The laws of statistics say you will eventually get invaded. I used to use five fusion and a grav. In hundreds of attempts I never got invaded but sometimes I took that tenth shot (lots of misses). Now, I don't make my bases inpregnable because I hate the constant invasions and having your base shoot down UFO's does not contribute to your score. :( If you let the aliens try and you beat them they go away.

As for removing the lift and hangars, upon completing the mission your base could end up going away. I'll give you an example. I once had a base where a large radar was the choke point. The aliens went upstairs and blew up all four dishes. The game interprets this as having the facility destroyed. After I won the mission my base was still there of course but the large radar was destroyed. NOW, since nearly my entire base was attached to the lift via the large radar, and since the radar was no more, my base was mostly destroyed; all I had was the lift and hangars. As for where the aliens would go. I once got invaded with a base with no hangars. If the program finds no more room in the hangars and lift it DOES place them inside your base; I have seen it with my own eyes. Ever since then I try to alway have at least one hangar in those bases which I defend with soldiers to accomodate the alien army.

BTW I use a missile defense for my choke point now. My hangars start from the top left side and go down. My access lift is on the top row beside the hangar. To the lifts right I build my small radar. To the right of the small radar I build my large radar. Once my large radar is attached to the lift by a path other than the small radar and is on-line I then demolish the small radar. Below the access lift I build a missile defense. I leave dirt around the hangars. To the right of the missile defense I place a general stores. To the right of the general stores is anouther general stores and to the right of them a living quarters. This arrangement with two hangars forms the core of every base I have. Just checkout my avatar to see what I mean.

What I do is this. On the second floor of the missile defense in the top left corner I place a soldier with a motion detector. So I can see the aliens coming. In the first General Stores in the top right room I place a soldier with a rocket launcher along with an assistant to load rockets for him and to open the door. The missle guys job is to send large rockets to the bottom left corner of the missle defense to nab aliens early. In the room opposite the rocketeer on the top left side I have a guy who tosses proximity grenades to the bottom right corner of the missile defense. He also carries High-Explosive grenades, this will destroy a cyberdisk (hasn't failed yet). In the room on the bottom right I have a guy with an autocannon 2 HE and 1 AP for emergencies. In the second General stores, I place my guy with best reactions in the intersetion (he has an autocannon with 2 HE and 1 AP. He is placed specifically in the middle of the leftmost collumn of the 3x3 grid forming the intersection then his range of sight extends to the wall of the central hub of the missile defense. The aliens tend to shoot their blaster bombs along the walls. In the hallway above/north of this soldier but out of the line of site from the missile defenses I place a few soldiers with autocannon 2 HE 1 AP ready to step up turn and fire and retreat when needed.

I keep a few tanks around incase I'm facing mind control since tanks can't be controlled. When facing mind control the soldier in the middle of the hallway (with good reactions) is placed out of site and tanks replace him.

Try it yourself, it's a really good floorplan for defense. One thing I've noticed about it is that the games AI tends to bunch up the aliens in the top left hangar near the hallway towards the access lift. So once you have blaster bombs, send them there after a few turns you will be guaranteed to hit many aliens congregating there.

Oh and here's a small tip. Since you can always see your entire base layout. You can findout after one turn if you are being invaded by Mutons. After one turn the Silicoids leave a trail which you will see. If you see trails you know you're facing Mutons.

With 4 Fusion Defense + 1 Grav Shield no one ever got throught my base defenses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Brazilian X-COM fan club!!!!!!! Coming soon a web site...

It actually did happen to me a few times; that's why I went to five. But now I actually want them to get through so now my bases have 1 Missile (the choke point), 2 Fusion, a grav, and a mind shield. I assume that with each hit the Battleship loses guys. With this many defenses the Battleship gets through after taking a few hits (I hope).

• 1 month later...
I'll second the statement that the comp sticks the guys inside your base if you don't have a lift. I got hit without a lift or hangar several times and the aliens (sectoids) always appeard randomly scattered around my base rooms exactly like my own men. It's totally chaotic but very exciting.

To my experience, destroying UFOs with bases DO give score. At least in ye olde original xcom. One month there were barely any UFOs 'cept for the retaliating and I still got a high score.

It seems to me that the aliens just don't get points, unstead of you gaining points. The only reason you gain points for shooting them down is b/c you get points depending on the ufo type, not the alien type or the mission.

And, no, you don't get any points when you destroy it at your base with out them landing. Do this, check the points just before the ufo lands, check your excact points, then it gets shoot down, check your points. Any change?

• 4 weeks later...

I like letting the aliens come in because of the extra weapons/clips I recieve. Not only that, 2 plasma tanks will squash most alien base attacks, as long as there are a few aquanots there to back them up. Same goes for X-Com 1, and further for Apoc.

In fact, in Apoc, I look at base attacks like little gifts. They bring all those nice, expensive weapons and disruptor shields down late game. It's like they're giving your the stuff!

The best way to fight 'em off is, of course, put security stations around every path into the main part of the base, cutting off access to the repair bay and access lift (And protecting your scientists from spawning by the enemy), and then hit them with stun grenades.

If you've used all your valuable stun grenades, there is always the stun grapple. I find it to be -very- useful when getting disruptor shields off of aliens, so save the stun grenades for base attacks/raids on humans, because they travel in packs.

And the Mind Shield is invaluable.. Screw the grav shield or base defenses. The Mind Shield will protect you from a lot, and more often than not you'll be attacked while your soldiers/aquanots are in the base. Keep a few behind with some tanks just in case.

Guest stewart
I usually use the access lift as my choke point. When I'm near the endgame and can afford 5-6 fusion defs and a shield, I don't need cash or score much anyway, so I just let the bugs smack themselves against the shield.

I used to use 5 fusion and a grav. But, honestly, I got tired of the constant invasions. Now I let them through a fight them. If you defeat them the have to rediscover your base, weird!

I use Missile Defense for my choke point. In anouther thread I discuss my base defense strategy and even ahave a nice diagram and everything.

I've been thinking about a new (?) strategy of putting a hovertank as a decoy in the middle of sight after two or three chokepoints to attract fire and attention and at the same time putting a few guys in the rooms adjacent to this choke-corridor for throwing proxgrenades and extra fire. This way it should be quite safe, or am I mistaken? :huh?:

Furthermore I defenitely agree on letting them come visit me: the extra goodies are always welcome! :crazy:

Finally I found that attacks on my bases lasted much shorter after the bship was shot down, but if every single hit (without shooting the bship down) reduces its complement i'm not sure. Pity for the (loss of) extra goodies though....

Kinda off topic, but why dont alien bases have anti-air? I mean because we can just waltz into there bases as I have seen. Another is, although I havent played cyndonnia, I suspect you can just land there too. One reason they maybe dont have defences is becuase it would be really gay if you had a skyranger/avenger get shot down with a bounch of leet guys in there. Correct me if I r wrong.

the game would be pretty hard in that way. How do you think you can get to Cydonia? Planetary defences? huh

Maybe aliens don't know the meaning of the air-defence

They are kinda stupid too. They made a big mistake

THEY ATTACKED EARTH!!!! :bash: :bash: :bash:

Guest stewart
It's a good point though. In XCOM2 you have to clear the surronding ground first before entering the base. In our "remake" we could do that too with this in mind; we have to land far from the base (so as to not be shot down) and then more-or-less walk.

• 2 years later...

Personally I get out the mind shield, I stick with plasma and gravity shields. Two plasma and thre grav shields. Its awfully expensive of course. HOWEVER once I have vetren psi members I can let the aliens invade and watch with joy as they go mad and shoot each other and go mad under my psi squad :devillaugh: You also get more points out of it personally then just destroying the retailtion before it comes.

I too wonder why aliens don't have their own planetry defences, i suppose you can argue its the requirment set by the goverments who are allowing the alien bases on their land because if I made a deal with the devil i don't want him able to defend himself in case it went bad. Also I don't think the aliens expected the human race to invade cydonia, an error of arrogance. that's my suggetion anyway.

Just as a note, adding multiple Grav Shields will do nothing more than eat up cash. Its abilities do not stack. So for the example you give, two Plasma Defenses and 3 Grav Shields should allow your defenses to fire 8 times:

PD1, PD2, GS1, PD1, PD2, GS2, PD1, PD2, GS3, PD1, PD2

In reality, only one works. So to get off those 8 shots, you would need 4 defensive systems and 1 Grav Shield.

Let's assume for the moment that multiple Grav Shield abilities will stack. Why build multiple Grav Shields when all the defensive systems are cheaper to construct? Each shield costs you $1.2 million, while a Plasma Defense is exactly half that cost ($600,000). It would be much more cost-effective to only build one Grav Shield and multiple defenses. That's just as well, because I'd rather save that money for something else (like an Avenger).

Non-stackable base systems include the afore-mentioned Grav Shield, the Mind Shield and the Hyperwave Decoder. In addition, all you need is one Alien Containment module at your base. It allows you to hold an almost limitless number of alien captives, so multiple facilities of this type don't help you out either. :)

- Zombie

It's only listed as a large radar in the radar section of the base information screen - which only keeps the count of your radars, not their effectiveness.

On that same note, the same rule applies to the small and large radars. Small radars will not improve if there are other small radars. Large radars will not improve with other large radars in the same base. However, small radars get a 200% boost when combined with a large radar on top of the large radar's 20% long range detection. (i.e. Small radars have 10% short range detection, toss in a large radar and this is increased to 30%).

---

I normally discourage the use of the base defences (with the exception of the mind shield) unless you want to use them as a stalling strategy - however, to get the best bang for your buck out of the grav shield, consider also the older missile defence modules (You there, in the back, stop laughing. I'm serious!).

They're cheap and quick to build. Imagine the sheer ferocity of 8 or more missile silos and a grav shield. It may seem funny, but it's dreadfully effective - and unfortunately unnecessarily increases the size of your base and makes the defense screens take forever to get through. But as I said, it's very effective.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

About base layout. I have in my current game, aliens continuously attacking my China base. This base is my main recruiting base, so basically every base slot is taken up. I only have one hanger and the access lift as entry points and so I was worried that in base defense, I'd have aliens spawned in other areas besides these two.

As it turns out I don't, so I haven't a need to make a choke point. The aliens, at least on this easy game difficulty experiment still seem to spawn around these two points and no where else. What I haven't tested however is going with even less facilities, still keeping the one hanger and access lift, to see if the alien spawn points remain consistant.

Zombie's done quite a thorough amount of testing on spawn points in base defences (unfortunately I can't remember where I saw this discussion - probably the formulas thread on StrategyCore's X-Com section...). He has, if I'm not mistaken, come up with a bare-bones base that will literally let you become completely immune to base attacks - by using up all the spawn points. The attack will start, but then will end as there aren't any aliens - and as a side benefit, you get to keep the equipment of the aliens that did not show up.

Aliens will only spawn in X-Com spawn points and path nodes if there's insufficient alien spawn points in the base (i.e. if you just have the lift). One hangar and the lift tend to provide a good number of spawn points for the aliens. Oh, and the situation works in the opposite direction, X-Com soldiers will spawn in alien spawn spots and path nodes if there's insuficient X-Com spawn points. Fun, eh? And if you're asking how the last situation can come into effect, well, it can happen if base modules are collapsed due to excessive damage. The facility will be gone, but the people, ships and equipment previously stored in there will still remain.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Spawn points. Yep, that brings back some bad memories. :)

My testing on this subject was indeed posted over at the StrategyCore forums in this thread. If you are too lazy to follow that link, I'll provide a recap here:

Aliens will only spawn within the Access Lift and Hangars. An additional "buggy" spot is in the General Stores near the steps. That's it.

Your soldiers can spawn anywhere: including the spots traditionally reserved for the aliens. The first spots that fill are the Living Quarters and the General Stores. After that, any and all spots are up for grabs (the last to fill are the Hangars and Access Lift). Therefore, build your LQ's and GS close to the choke point so your soldiers will not have to walk so far.

Say you build a very small base without a Hangar. Just an Access Lift, a LQ, GS, and perhaps a radar. The aliens spawn points are now restricted to just the Access Lift. If you have enough soldiers stationed at that base to fill all the spawn points, the aliens can't show up, but their weapons will! :)

Here is a table listing the number of spawn points you can find in each base structure:

Base Structure          Level 0     Level 1     Total
Living Quarters             7           1         8
Laboratory                  6           1         7
Workshop                    6           1         7
Small Radar                 0           2         2
Large Radar                 5           1         6
Missile Defenses            4           5         9
General Stores              7           4        11
Alien Containment           7           5        12
Laser Defenses              5           1         6
Plasma Defenses             5           1         6
Fusion Defenses             5           1         6
Grav Shield                 5           1         6
Mind Shield                 5           1         6
Psi Lab                     7           3        10
Hyperwave                   5           1         6
Hangar                     15           0        15
Access Lift                 5           3         8

To determine how many soldiers you need to prevent the aliens from spawning, just count up the number of spawn points in your base and make sure you have that number stationed there. In a nutshell this is what my findings hinted at:

The conclusion I drew from this data leads me to believe this:

1) The game initially calculates how many spawn points are in your base.

2) Then the game spawns all of X-COM's weapons and equipment (including tanks).

3) After that, the game starts to spawn your soldiers. If there are more soldiers than spawn points, some get dropped.

4) Next, the game spawns the aliens weapons and equipment.

5) Finally, the game will attempt to spawn aliens if there are spaces open in the Access Lift or Hangar. If none can be found, the game doesn't spawn the aliens, and you automatically win the mission.

I am still working on the spawn points for HWP's. When that is done, I'll post that too. That info is practically meaningless because you can only get a total of 40 "units" to spawn in a base. Since a tank = 4 "units", that means you can have a max of 10 tanks on a base defense mission. And since there are 3 HWP spawn points in a LQ and 7 in a GS, that means tanks cannot normally spawn within other base structures. Edited/destroyed module bases yes, but not for a run-of-the-mill base defense mission. :Hyper:

I'll stop rambling for now and let you guys come up with some questions. Yes, it's "stump Zombie on a spawn point question" time! :wink1:

- Zombie

Interesting stuff Zombie. For some reason I'd always thought that 1 hanger and access lift wasn't always enough room for alien spawns.

I'm curious to know though, since higher difficulties tend to mean potentially more units attacking, if the 1 hanger and lift is enough. (presuming of course you've got lots of modules so they could). I suspect though that even if they could have more attacking units, the game probably generates more tank units and still keeps them confined in that kind of setup.

Edited by Snakeman

Interesting stuff Zombie.  For some reason I'd always thought that 1 hanger and access lift wasn't always enough room for alien spawns. 

I'm curious to know though, since higher difficulties tend to mean potentially more units attacking, if the 1 hanger and lift is enough. (presuming of course you've got lots of modules so they could).  I suspect though that even if they could have more attacking units, the game probably generates more tank units and still keeps them confined in that kind of setup.

The minimum number of aliens on a base defense mission is 9 (on Beginner/Experienced), while the maximum is 28 (on Superhuman). As you can see, an Access Lift is not enough to hold the bare minimum of aliens. However, since most X-COM bases are understaffed and have a General Stores, that setup (buggy spot in GS, plus 8 in the AL = 9) is enough.

The number of spawn points in a Hangar and Access Lift is 23 (15+8). The max number of aliens ever possible is 28. You would need another Hangar to allow those extra aliens to materilaize. But why would you? I say keep your base size small, and reduce the number of alien spawn points by not building multiple hangars. For example, if the aliens were able to send a compliment of 28 units into an X-COM base with a Hangar and Access Lift, only 23 would show up. Nix the Hangars and only 8 would show up. Hire a bunch of soldiers so that every spawn point is filled with one of your troops, and no aliens will appear. You therefore win by default! Can't beat those odds. :naughty:

- Zombie

Even if some aliens get in, there's also good a good reason to keep small bases with a minimum of one hangar. A large portion of the aliens will be heavily concentrated in the same area. If you've got large rockets and perhaps multiple entry points into the hangar to fire your rockets, a generous chunk of the aliens can be wiped out in an instant. With cyberdiscs, it's even more fun.

You probably can't make every base lean and mean, but bare bones bases are excellent for radar/interceptor posts.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Hmm, 28 possible enemy units on Superhuman. One day I'll get up the nerve to try a Superhuman game. I've only ever gone as high as Veteran. For me Veteran seems to be the best balance between enemy strength while still keeping lasers fun to use.

Bases: I get sucked into the base development stuff each and every time I play and wind up using every square just about. Can't help myself. However, I'm thinking of downgrading my base defenses or eliminating them entirely so I can train up my garrison crews by letting the aliens land.

Might be quicker than rotating transport time for the less experienced.

With a minimum of one Hangar per base, the aliens will not be concentrated primarily in that structure, as we would hope. Instead, the aliens spawn within the Access Lift and the Hangar(s) pseudo-randomly. The end result actually spreads the aliens farther apart making them harder to kill.

The aliens are not very concentrated, even with one hangar (except on Superhuman). I’ll list the average number of aliens per skill level here:

Beginner/Experienced: 12

Veteran/Genius: 17

Superhuman: 23

As you can see, for Beginner/Experienced the aliens spawn an average of 12 units. That’s half the number of spots available to them with a Hangar/Access Lift base. Those 12 units spawn pseudo-randomly over 23 spots (24 with a General Stores), so only half get filled. This equates to the aliens being twice the distance apart from each other.

With 17 units on Veteran/Genius, the aliens are 20% more concentrated than on Beginner. That is a slight improvement. On an average Superhuman base defense mission, all the spawn points are filled with aliens. But because you need an Access Lift too, the aliens are distributed 65% to the Hangar and 35% to the lift.

Mind you, this is for a base with one Hangar and the mandatory Access Lift. Adding additional Hangars only dilutes the aliens further, making them that much more difficult to find and kill. In addition, there are rooms in each Hangar that sometimes spawn aliens. The more hangars you have, the greater the probability that an alien wielding a Blaster Launcher will spawn within one of those rooms. And unless you build your bases to directly handle this situation, the only way to get all the aliens without being blown to smithereens, is by luck. :wink1:

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

All too often that blaster bomb launcher holding alien does appear out of one of those rooms >.<

As for base defense, I actually don't get any going until I have fusion defences. And really, I only use them on lesser defended bases, or interceptor base types.(which are also defended to a lesser extent) But I use 4 plus grav shield, which repluses most attacks, but as said, eventually one will get through. Also all of my bases (excluding the first one) all use the choke-point type base design, with the hangers seperated from the base by the gravlift, usually connected with a general stores.

In the end though, I like it better when they get through. I like the equipment they bring, as well as the fact that if they don't land and get destroyed by the player, then they just keep coming and coming till you just want to yell AHHH!!! It's just very annoying.

They may forget where you are after you let them land and you beat them, but the retaliation missions don't really stop. They just start over with them having to find you again.

So it does buy you time between to build defenses which is nice at least.

I would also recommend building a Mind Shield ASAP. If only one alien "group" is attacking your base, and you are successful in defending it, then by having that Mind Shield blocking all those brainwaves it gives you some time to add defenses where needed.

Recently, I just gave up on building defensive structures like the Grav Shield and missile/laser/plasma/fusion defenses. Instead, I just build a Mind Shield and hope for the best. If the aliens detect my presence, fine. My soldiers stationed at that base will easily wipe them out. Once that is accomplished, the aliens will have to search for my base again. Since the Mind Shield is running, it becomes much more difficult for any alien search parties to find my hideout.

Defensive systems really only prolong the agony. Nothing will stop that alien group from giving up, short of a direct insertion into your base. :)

- Zombie

• 9 months later...

several posts in this thread have mentioned that beating off a base raid results in the aliens having to "re-discover" your base. but my experience today was to the contrary:

for the last two months, i have been getting regular visits from etherial battleships...even though i am seeing them all off. i am averaging one every 2-4 days and it's getting ridiculous. it's not that the battles are particularly hard, but its the whole hassle of having to load everything into my avengers and getting them to fly off (because of the 80 item limit). plus each defence mission is costing me 2-3 soldiers each who are currently being psi-trained.

i'm beginning to suspect that this is a bug in the game because i am playing on beginner level and if i'm getting etherial battleships every other day, i don't wanna try superhuman anytime soon!

fyi, i'm in jan 2000; no base defences.

Do you mean the base is getting attacked every 2 - 4 days, or is it just that a retaliation battleship is appearing within that time?

If it's unusual, you might want to zip your savegame and post it in the savegame forum so that we can poke and prod at it to see what's causing it.

- NKF

thnx for your feedback, NFK.

yup! it's a base attack every few days. always an etherial battleship on a retaliation mission, and always the same base (europe). another strange thing is that, when any of the ships appear, the hyperwave thing reports the zone as "SE asia".

i'm sure this is not normal...is it a bug that any of you have encountered?

Sounds like a bug to me waynie. Perhaps your save is corrupted somehow. :P

- Zombie

Waynie: Perhaps you could clarify something for me. When you said you load up the Avenger and fly them off, do you mean you're doing this to empty your base a little so that you can use the weapons that you want? I'd forgotten you could do that.

Anyway, you could also have quite a large number of ethereals groups that are after you. I mean, I once got attacked by the mutons, and cleared it. Then on the next day, I was attacked again by mutons. This stopped after that - not counting the next attack a few days later by some other race.

I suggest zipping up the savegame and posting it in the savegame forum so we can dissect it to see what's happening.

- NKF

yes, NFK, that's what i did with the avengers. i've found out the hard way that, although the crafts vacate the hangers, unless you do so manually the contents of the crafts are added to the 80 items. in this way i was able to have heavy plasma and clips to kit out my base defenders. i certainly didnt want to take on sectopods with a medikit!

i will post the game when i get the chance, as i am away on business until the middle of the month.

i did consider starting again, but i might now make one of my other bases the main one and use Europe as a training facility for the elite psi-troops. the regular etherial visits will make the troops hard as nails!

thnx anyways