XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo Floorplan

Foozball

Discussion of the floorplan for the HARVESTER UFO may commence. :D

And may I say, for the record: 'Oi!'

These large UFOs are going to take a while to get sorted out just because they're so friggin' big! Anyway, here's my first concept. I'll duscuss the logic behind the design a bit later.

I tried to stick to the round UFO theme, and I more or less used the X-Com Harvester as a base for my concept (except that I made the 3rd floor smaller than the rest). Otherwise, enjoy.

post-43-1076720275_thumb.jpg

Cpl F. and everyone else. :P

Can I suggest that you go back and read what was said about the design of the ufo's at the start of the design threads please.

Ufo design has to be done from a tactical challenge standpoint therefore the shell design comes after the concept art. Which means, the art team in this case takes its lead from the tactical layouts.

In this case seeing as the playablility of a ufo is far more important than how it looks on the exterior, this is the way we are doing things.

Thanks and we now return you to your scheduled programming.

Yup Foozball.

What'll happen with drawing up the plans into models will be similar to what happens with the concept submissions. The one that gets the most approval gets shortlisted.

However one small provisio to this is the small fact that the designs will have to be playtested. Just looking at them and saying, it looks tactical isn't good enough (this goes for everyone) they must be played in whatever way suits.

If they're not tested and then modelled up we might find some horrible chokepoints/killzones that aren't apparent from just looking at the designs.

Its not difficult to playtest them, print out the potential design and just use small pieces of card to represent each unit. I should think by now you all know the 'rules' to xcom ;) Heck you could even 'build' it inside xcom and test it that way. Isn't there a ufo editor in the forums now?

Once we have comments along the lines of "the left corridor is a real b*tch to assault" or things like that we'll know we're on the right lines for making them into models to test in the game. Otherwise we'll have a situation where we could have an unplayable design in the game. No fault of the designer.

I did some mods on your model Foozball.

1) I kept the engins on the first floor

2) I moved the exam table down. I think that the aliens would first examin if its good food and then move it too surgery on the 2nd floor. When they would be finished with surgery they would toss the garbage down the balcony, down the hatch.

3)I added some doors. The most important one is the one between the surgery and the elevator. If a alien want to take a break from surgery, it would not have to go to the first floor to go to the entertainment room.

Edit: I put some food in the entertainment room, cause you allways need some snacks with entertainment.

What do you think?

post-43-1076857671_thumb.jpg

Edited by kelfka

Ok, here's my (long overdue) analysis of the first design:

This ship is supposed to 'harvest' cattle/people for bio-material, right? With that in mind, I took the 'beam them up from the sky' approach to harvesting.

The power soucres are centrally located on the second and third floors above the 'hatch' in the floor of the main level. This allows for one of the power sources to focus gravity waves downwards and levitate things up through the hatch. Typical alien abduction type stuff. :wink:

The ship is otherwise split in half; surgery stuff (on floors 1 and 2) and non-surgery stuff (on floor 2 and 3).

The alien surgery and examination tables are just there in their locations for scale reason (surgery table is bigger than exam table) so the aliens can do all their 'rough cutting' on the big table on the first floor and then bring it up to the smaller table on the secord floor for more delicate extractions and storage. :puke:

Hence, the ship is as it is. :D