XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Has Anyone Heard/played This?

FenderStrat

• 1 month later...
[quote name='MeanpantheR' date='May 7 2005, 10:40 AM']just played it, i like the other xcoms better
[right][post="119065"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
DId you play it online against other people or just the single player? It's online that's fun! But it surely isn't a sequel to X-Com in any way.

• 3 weeks later...
I have tried the demo on this game, and I really like the way the battle flows. I want to buy Laser Squad Nemesis sometime in the future. The official website is located here: [url="http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/"]http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/[/url]

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest_dave_*
I played this game YEARS ago about 1991 on the amstrad CPC464 8-bit. It is julian callop (of xcom fame) and back then there was nothing like it. It got me hooked for about 3 years and I never gave the kid it back who i borrowed it from. That guy makes great games, Lasersquad, chaos, xcom.. all turns to gold.

finding a demo of TFTD on a pczone cover disc (1.44mb floppy!) about 1994 I thought YES! SOMEONE remade lasersquad! didnt know it was the same dude until years later

When you buy lasersquad, you are actually buying online subscription

It really is an excellent jewel of a game but i can't afford to buy the online play without losing a lot of money ($60 USD for 12 months or 6 months, forgot which

• 1 year later...

I bought a retail version in a hyperstore - I played it once or two, but I didn't really like it.

It lacks elements of previous LS, like equipping characters, etc.

I don't like one thing about the system - it has long processing orders pause during which nothing happens - it's a pure annoyance, because it doesn't add anything to the game - for example enemy movement in a turn based game can add to suspense (if done right), while this is just a waiting period.

• 1 year later...

In the strictest sense, no, but both LS/LSN and Enemy Unknown were programmed by the same people. The Gollops actually used parts of LSs in EU too, so there are similarities than differences. :wink1:

- Zombie

• 1 year later...

I installed it today and gave it another try.

It was pretty frustrating experience. Both for good and bad reasons.

Good Reasons:

1. It was probably one of the few games where I got thoroughly raped by the AI. It can retreat, flank and attack from behind. A big plus to me. That's what the AI should be like in most of tactical/strategic games.

Bad Reasons:

1. OH GOD WHY??! RTS gimmicks: Medics that restore health. Hit points, no bleeding. Lots of weak weapons. Grenade launchers that fire bouncing projectiles.

2. Streamlining.

3. I started single player Marine campaign. I think it took me a hour or two to play the first mission and then lose in the end. Even Laser Squad with its horrible interface played much faster than this.

4. I can't feel any sympathy towards the marines. They look too plastic and don't even have names.

5. Less brutal atmosphere than in UFO/Laser Squad, mostly because of the above and because special effects aren't as expressive as in these games.

6. The whole AI/Order processing stuff creates a big distance between me and the action. While the Hidden Movement stuff from UFO was the AI doing stuff and soldiers could start dying at any moment, the processing just serves to remind that it's a game. It kills tension and immersion for me.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.