12 replies to this topic

#1 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 11:41 AM

Hey -

I'm just curious what you all think. For the years I was playing the game back in the day, I always assumed the Heavy Plasma was hands down the way to go.

But, in a desperate act on a Genius level game, I started using whatever I had...and the was Plama Rifles. To my amazement, my guys actually started hitting thing!

So my question is, to the more experienced among us, which do you use and why? What are the Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks,
Gold
---
Rule #33:
Celatid venom is a paralytic nerve toxin, not 'happy juice".

---
Posted Image

#2 Mark0

Mark0

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 12:58 PM

lately im using Laser rifle , they have auto shot, no clips needed but the aim is shuckeroonies.

between heavy plasma and plama rifles.. dunno if HP makes more damage but PR has better aim.i dont know, before i allways used HP, i never used PR in all games ive played.(except some occasions , i had 2 PRs and no HP ,so i had no choice to use them.)

so this comes for me to ask. why alien soldiers (couple months after start )have HP and then the higher ranks have PR??

my answer would be : i think PR have better chances for a hit

corerct me ppl if im wrong :unsure:

#3 Guest_blaa_*

Guest_blaa_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2003 - 04:22 PM

Uh . . . . Heavy Plasma! :huh:

Mind you it depends on the role of the trooper.

#4 Mariondeputy

Mariondeputy

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:13 AM

When I play I usually have a couple of guys in flying suits acting as snipers, I give them the plasma rifles. But for the ground pounders, I give them heavys, strickly for the damage factor. Usually their engaged in close combat where accuracy isn't as big a factor.

Oh yeah I get into it!

"God, God are you there?" "Affirmative, I have Sectoid yuppies in sight"

Later at the debrief. "So Squaddie Miller, did you engage the hostiles?"

"Engage sir? I vaporized hostiles."

#5 Freelanc3r

Freelanc3r

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:17 AM

heavy plas for sure.

more damage. i wasn't aware of the fact it was less accurate than a plasma rifle, but if its less than 10% it doesn't matter - your guys are likely to spray the shots anyways.

also, in the end everyone uses heavy plas. so theres plenty of them lying around

#6 c4t

c4t

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:26 PM

the rifle i currently use is the basic human rifle, its great to train with because you have it hit mutants like 10 times, literally. as for the HP and PR thing, hp has a 10 percent better chance to hit on an aimed shot (110 Percent) but it does do worse in auto and snapped, here are the stats for both

Plasma rifle
auto-55%acc 36% tu cost
snap shot- 86%acc 30%tu cost
aimed-100%acc 60%tu cost

Heavy plasma
auto shot 50%acc 35%tu cost
snap 75%acc 30% tu
aimed 110 acc 60%tu cost

so, it would seem that, if you have a sniper just at the top corner of the map, hp would be best if he is using aimed shots. since PR have better acc at close range shots, it would seem best to use them for close range. and hp for sniping. haha, but skrew those silly stats, train your soldiers with normal rifles, then once all their accuracy is over 80 or 90 load em up woth hp, who the heck cares if its a tiny bit less accurate, you can kill mutants in one hit. and last poster was right, heavy plasma is so plentiful later. personally, i hate wasting elirum, so i never make alien things. i find myself having to transfer things to my manufacturing base just to have enough stuff to keep my base up and running. at my stores base, i ahve 293 hp and 330 clips. pimp yo. heh, it has no defence due too all the stores, hopefully i got my mind sheild up in time so they dont have a chance to see it :wub:
Rawr.

"Please, think of the kittens."

#7 JWH

JWH

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 03:43 PM

I always assumed that the heavy plasma was the ultimate in shooting aliens, but readding these posts has caused me to tyhink a bit. I do know that I have a great liklng for the laser rifle , but at times a find the plasma rifle to be a quite acceptable substitute
I never met a sectoid that I didn't like......to mind control

#8 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 03:49 PM

In the end I would have a couple of guys with laser rifle, one with blaster launcher and all the others equipped with heavy plasma's. They're accurate, have autofire and a large clip, and heavy hitting power. What more could you possibly want? By that time you'd have at least a couple of good soldiers, that can hit anything even if it's not THE most accurate weapon...
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#9 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 10:30 PM

I agree with j'ordos (shock horror :o)

Edited by miceless, 26 July 2003 - 10:30 PM.

"If it moves - kill it. If it doesn't move - kill it anyway, it might move later."

#10 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 10:37 AM

Hey -

I gotta say, I a HUGE fan of the Laser Rifle these days. Deadly accurate, and no ammo limit (which has become vital for me on higher levels). Also, takes care of ANY terror alien. The only downside is when I have to face off against Mutons. Then I'll kill one, take his plasma, and switch. Otherwise, I'm a laser man these days...

Gold
---
Rule #33:
Celatid venom is a paralytic nerve toxin, not 'happy juice".

---
Posted Image

#11 Afflicted

Afflicted

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 06:47 PM

Heavy Laser is the thing for me, with its incredebly high damage I never need to use the Autofire option, 2 shots with snap and most baddies die. It is also great against disks which I dont really like.

#12 jpuk

jpuk

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:34 AM

I can't really back it up with stats (I'll leave you brain boxes to do that for me), but I always used to play with plasma rifles all-round. But after returning to the joy that is XCOM and reading the comments on these forums, I've switched to heavy plasma's (and the odd blaster launcher) and I've undoubtedly had more success.

On normal ground missions there's not too much difference between the two for me, but on terror missions my team get split up and I need that extra fire power.

The only problem I found with heavy plasmas is that early on the aliens were only carrying rifles so I rarely retrieved enough heavy clips to last me. But now the aliens are a bit more gung-ho I've got heavy clips a plenty.

#13 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 04:29 AM

yeah, later in the game you get lots and lots of heavy plasma+clip (thats my main surce of cashs you know? You get millions if you sell most of those stored). I've never gotten a chance to acturly use a heavy riffle, because i was here, and then i sold all my pistols and riffles -1.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology