XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hidden Items?

Guest Stavros

Guest Stavros
Yoha, does anyone know how to research diemension portal for aircraft, diemension destabiliser, force web and other toys like this? I saw them in folder with graphics for ufopedia

Guest Stavros
This "things" weren't removed from the game, I've added them by manualy changing my save file, so I was wondering why I couldn't buy/research them without cheating :(

Guest Jim diGriz

Well the X-COMMAND page suggests some reasons you can't buy/research tem, for instance the tracker equipment and Cells base facility weren't used because the part of the game which required them wasn't implemented/finished.

If you go to CodoTech, which is the new company of the Gollop brothers (who made X-COM 1 and 3), then go to Gameography then X-COM: Apocalypse you'll see this paragraph (my enbolden):

The aim of X-COM Apocalyse was to recreate, in some detail, the events, organisations and personalities within a futuristic megalopolis. Each corporation had a leader who could be tailed, arrested, interrogated or assassinated. Organisations could buy and sell buildings as their financial fortunes changed. X-Com agents could spy on other organisations to gain valuable information. A sophisticated diplomacy display allowed the player to instigate aggressive or defensive alliances with other organisations. There were multiple alien dimensions, generated pseudo-randomly, and the aliens gradually expanded their empire as the game progressed. The game also featured a scenario generator and multiplayer options using a hotseat turn based system or a real time LAN option. Most of these features were implemented to some degree, but were finally stripped out due to the horrendous amount of work involved in QA and debugging. At the start of the project, the team decided to include an option for real time tactical combat or turn based which stood up as a truly innovative system.

Apocalypse was an unfinished game when it was released, it was also dramatically cut down from the original design. The equipment you were able to add was presumably implemented at a time when those features were expected, the same with the UFOpaedia entries as well.

If you're willing, could you make a note of which items can be added and what effect they have in the game (if any). I'm not sure if that information is available anywhere online, and if some of the items work I'm sure there are people who'd like to know so they can have a quick play around with them.

Guest Stavros

Well, I didn't play Apoc. for a year or more, but I remember very good that not all of "cheated" equipment was working.

Dimension Destabiliser - yeeehaa, in later parts of game I thought that Toxigun with toxin C is the best, the fastest weapon against aliens, but this, this is something amaizing, fires beams like devastator, but they are a bit shorter :D , extremelly powerful, fast and accurate, deadly in hands of experienced agent - I was using this gun in both hands, ammo is regenerating fast enought for real time games - 4 agens armed with D.D. can raze building in a few seconds, all u need for demolitions is this weapon, polecam, naprawde sie przydaje i nic nie kosztuje :)

Mind Shield - I wasn't using it on missions, so I don't know is it working - better take a teleporter :D

Dimension Shifter - I couldn't use it after loading on ship :(

ForceWeb - didn't work or I was wrong using it

PSI Grenade - I could take on missions but I wasn't using it

I don't know how to add and where to search in save file for the rest of unused equipment, weapons, facilities etc. etc. but I think it's good that authors has removed them because the game could be too easy.

Guest Jim diGriz

Thanks for the info.

I depresses me sometimes to think how great Apocalypse could have been if it were completed (instead of being good but a bit wierd). Hopefully the Gollops will do something similar again someday.

• 2 months later...

Wow... Much o' unused great equipment! Thats really annoying. TFTD looked like released too early too. Why X-Coms have to be under-developed?! Damn....

Oh by the way... How Im suposed to change things in save files?

Dimension Destabiliser? Chêtnie bym sie tym pobawi³....

Mostly, the X-com games have been released pre-mature to allow for their release at all. The original Xcom was almost cancelled just shy of release and they've all followed suit. there have been at least 2 x-com games cancelled during development. Apoc's problem was not really pre-mature release as they wanted to stick to the schedule they had chosen and in the end didn't have time to include all the features they planned on (part of it was a shortcoming in the technology of the time.) I think the game was great fun the way it was and that if the other aspects had been done incorrectly it could have actually detracted from the game. I would have liked to see it in the final version they had ultimately planned however.