XCOMUFO & Xenocide

This is just it tzuchan, I think there could be replacements handy. Think if only you could assign more than one trooper to the same spot of a ship as primaries and secondaries. Then all we'd need is a hot key or some such on the equip craft screen's placement area. Click a grid or something, then that can show you a drop down that includes those 3 picks and all you have to do is click a name and he/she's there.

Come to think of it, this could be an alternate way of assigning troops too beside's the initial way we know of from the first game.

Then all we need is a quick way to see briefly, the stats that matter most (think mini graph bar type thing) on this sort of thing so that switching them out manually can happen. Yet I also like the automatic thought on this too, that once one of them is categorized as "wounded" or otherwise off the ship due to some other random event, the next replacement gets tapped for you.

In a way too, one might not also have to keep track of soldier stats religiously. I might make another suggestion along these lines...If we wanted for instance to further streamline reassignment of backup crews by this sort of fatigue thing (for argument's sake, let's say you don't want fatigue # to go farther than 75% before you wanted an individual to rest), let us be able to have the game recognize at what number we'd want to deassign a soldier, then have it grab the next one while that one rests.

Sort of keeping a good blend of doing things manually if we wanted, and some operations automated.

There's a suggestion in another thread about Engineers, that has a possibility of displaying idle engineers on the main geoscape, just clicking on those engineers to bring up a project screen and letting you assign them straight off from there, rather than having to go through the bases.

This could possibly be adapted to mention soldiers getting fatigued (though in my suggested system, you would probably have to seriously work on it to get soldiers that fatigued), and soldiers over a certain level of physical fatigue (50% is a good kind of level, the maximum stat here is something like 40 for a maxed out character) are mentioned on the same "status panel" that would have the workshop information on it.

Clicking on the name of a fatigued soldier would open up just the ship equip screen they're on and allow them to be easily swapped with another soldier, without having to go into base or check up on them all the time. Though checking up all the time could prove more rewarding in the long run, stopping soldiers turning up in combat with even 10% penalties would give a significant edge.

Even failing miserably to account for fatigue wouldn't be fatal unless you somehow managed to mess up the entire squad, because the more tired soldiers are at the back, even if they had 3 TUs maximum, they'd be behind everyone else anyway, preventing any unmovable meat walls.

However, I'd like to avoid simply automating anything but the most basic supply runs for ammo and trade goods for engineers. A finance management game (which X-Com was) that doesn't actually expect the player to get involved in anything financial is a farce. Play Master of Orion 3 if you don't believe me.

It'd be like automated tactical battles and automated interceptor deployment. You start wondering what's the point?

You don't need to make things automatic to stop things being tedious on the player, just let the game alert them rather than take over for them, and it'll let them feel like they're in control.

And it also makes a bit more sense, in flavour terms:

"Sir, Captain Rogers is looking a bit worn out, perhaps you should allow him some R&R?"

Sure, send that rookie Cannie Fodder in his place, I've got a good feeling about her.

"Sir, we're also running low on missiles, should I send off for an order?"

Nah, I'm sure we can set up a few of those idle Engineers to finish a set of plasma cannons to replace them, but I need some more incendiary rockets. Mmmmm. Fire.

"Umm.... sir?"

Errr.... Nothing. You heard nothing!

Without this it heads into George Bush territory.

"Sir, I just bought fifty avalanche missiles, an avalanche launcher and used it to bombard Iraq. They have cancelled their funding and declared war. I also took your best sharpshooter off your assault squad and replaced him with a muton disguised as one of our men. You probably won't find that out until you attack that ethereal base though."

What the? I didn't say to do that!

"So?"

Pretty easy to accomplish, without needing to remember extra keys, just have one "notification panel" that flashes up with new information when it becomes apparent, and hotlink each set of info to the appropriate base function and you'll have everything simplified for the player, with the option to turn it off for people who like the tedium of checking stocks every month.

Any opinions on that lot?

And just to edit in: I suddenly have "you do not have permission to post on this topic" in every thread, and lost read access to the workshops. Is this problem common? O.o

Edited by Sinscale17