XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Weapon Concepts Discussion

Exo2000

Will it be possible to make a weapon that makes a continuous beam from firing point to strike point this way?

Yes, you can set the color of a laser beam but if you are asking about having a continous beam with a bitmap trail I don't see the advantage of a bitmap effect on a beam but if people find it important, I can add this.

Yes I'll do my best to make a trail for grenades too but since their trajectory is parabollic and they are drawn differently this will be harder to do so I can't be 100% sure I'll succeed at grenade with trails.

This is still the first time I try C source code. :P

Edited by nachtwolf

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incoming features I'm working on, you might want to consider this as you devellop weapons.

It will be possible to set hit animation, trail, trail length, bullet and trail color as well as have custom per-weapon explosion animations. All of this will be very customisable.

New properties in the weapon lua, all ammo (and grenade) specific are :

bulletRGB = {255,127,0}, - the color of the trail's dot, RGB format

glowRGB = {255,127,0}, - circle around the trail's dot, RGB format

trailRGB = {255,127,0}, - the trail's line, RGB format

trailLength = 40, - actual maximum length of the trail line (trail animation is about twice as long as this value)

hitAnim = png_image_set("$(ufo2000)/arts/impact_frames/32x40", 1, 8, true),

trailAnim = png_image_set("$(ufo2000)/arts/trail_frames/32x40", 1, 8, true), - two sets of images that define the animation frames.

Actual game footage of an airborne rocket is attached.

I notice the grenade is featured there. A new weapon: Fireball. It counts as a grenade, primable only to 0 (?), with a large incendiary rating but not much on the explosive front. It would have a fiery trail. Shweet?

You know what this means?

Magic! :D

Fireballs, Lightning, you name it! :)

meh, magic. Gimme a big-as$ gun over a bag of pixie dust anyday. Thats not to say its not a good idea as it widens the games scope. Just my inflamatory opinion.

2 Nactwolf: Excellent work! when can we expect acess to this wonderfull new feature :Hyper:

Make some staves, 1x3 squares. They have innate ammo like laser weapons. You have the fire one (incendiary), you have the lightning one (laser) and the wind one (plasma)

Something like that. You could also have Tomes & Books that are 2x2.

Tomes and Books could be stronger but heavier, and staves would be lighter but weaker! :)

Staves are fair game. I was just wondering if it would be possible to implement some code to make the tomes disappear after use? So you would pack a tome, read the incantation, you'd get a very powerful, rather accurate spell for a fair few TU, and then the book burns up.

Theoretically... using grenade-style code.

In the upcoming ufo2k revisions, Aurora (100% completed) will be released. All of you be sure to delete your galactic weapon set folders, else it may cause conflicts.

brian-o: do you already know how to code in lua for your set? or do you need some assistance? :)

In the upcoming ufo2k revisions, Aurora (100% completed) will be released. All of you be sure to delete your galactic weapon set folders, else it may cause conflicts.

brian-o: do you already know how to code in lua for your set? or do you need some assistance? :)

I don't know how .. I haven't even attempted to look at anything LUA related yet.. I don't really like programming, so I'm not planning on looking into lua's anytime soon, it would be great if you or others wanted to help in that area. though I don't really have a complete "set", the weapons I've drawn and shown here were just sort of as a concept scetch, I think it would be great if other people wanted to help with graphics and ideas as well as with the coding for medieval weapon sets, units, and map tilesets..

also, I'm not fully satisfied with the stuff I've thrown together.. I think that swords should be 1*3 inventory squares and I've drawn it 2*3 .. and I'm not sure what the best way to display arrows would be considering the inventory squares layout and the size of arrows.. I think it would be nice to change the inventory squares a bit, like have the belt have a 3 vertical squares section for swords instead of just the 2 on both sides it has now.. and maybe add some small inventory squares for for rings, and maybe have armor that you can pick up in game and put onto your unit (altering its inventory graphic )..

Edited by brian-o

Quiver of arrows, as a clip, is your best bet.

I think it'd be a really good idea if you focused on melee weapons for the set, and made ranged, magical ones, overpriced for what they do. It'd encourage people to go toe-to-toe with their units, rather than the game play as just standard X-Com with medieval graphics.

-Angry Lawyer

Hmmm... after seeing many games (and most notably X-Com Apocalypse) they have Plasma Swords..

What if you had 3 things, Knives, Laser Swords and Plasma Swords?

Knives/Swords are your basic hth combat weapon, suitable and nearly only good for killing unarmoured X-Rookies, made from good old Iron, Titanium, etc. Laser Swords are made from Alien Alloys and that they have a Laser superheating mode and are good in which they are slightly better at combatting enemies with Personnell Armour types, but niether are good against Power Armour or Flying Suits. Plasma Swords are your kickass energy blades that slice through armour with ease, but as with all Swords and Knives, can you get close enough to the enemy to use them with such effectiveness?

I think it'd be a really good idea if you focused on melee weapons for the set, and made ranged, magical ones, overpriced for what they do.  It'd encourage people to go toe-to-toe with their units, rather than the game play as just standard X-Com with medieval graphics.

-Angry Lawyer

after thinking about it, I think quivers might be the way to go.. how many arrows should they hold?, and also is it possible to pick up single arrows from your victems and then place them into quivers which are then placed with the bow or crossbow?

I'm also wondering about thrown hand axes and daggers, if they hit their target I think they should appear on the ground where the target is, so that the target could pick it up and throw it back, or if they died, someone could recover it from their corpse.. I would like to be able to animate the thrown hand axe so that it spins while it flies through the air, and if there are flame swords or torches, it would be nice if I could animate the fire of the weapon that is held by a sprite.

is it possible with lua's to add more animation frames to units, like giving them an animated attack sequence?

I think it'd be a really good idea if you focused on melee weapons for the set, and made ranged, magical ones, overpriced for what they do.  It'd encourage people to go toe-to-toe with their units, rather than the game play as just standard X-Com with medieval graphics.

-Angry Lawyer

That's what I was thinking, on the quiver idea... then maybe you could have different types of quivers and arrows. Arrows can have different arrowheads, of course, so you could take some AP, Normal or Incendiary Arrows (if you've ever played Stronghold, you'll know what I mean!) which are basically oil-soaked rags around the arrow's head. This is then dipped in a fire to light, and shot at an enemy!

you could add a whole bunch of fun arrows too, like the broad head arrow, the marksman arrow, the Tek arrow, the poison arrow, the water arrow, the explosive arrow even the infamous bow of nuke. I love that weapon. Edited by Sporb

you could add a whole bunch of fun arrows too, like the broad head arrow, the marksman arrow, the Tek arrow, the poison arrow, the water arrow, the explosive arrow even the infamous bow of nuke. I love that weapon.

Suggested changes;

Broadhead; This'd be standard damage.

Poison; Hmmm, no poison style effects yet. :(

Water; Smoke!

Explosive; Why not? :D

Marksman; Eh?

Tek; Homing? ROFL

Nuke; No. Just... no. :P

you could add a whole bunch of fun arrows too, like the broad head arrow, the marksman arrow, the Tek arrow, the poison arrow, the water arrow, the explosive arrow even the infamous bow of nuke. I love that weapon.

Suggested changes;

Broadhead; This'd be standard damage.

Poison; Hmmm, no poison style effects yet. :(

Water; Smoke!

Explosive; Why not? :D

Marksman; Eh?

Tek; Homing? ROFL

Nuke; No. Just... no. :P

couldn't you implement poison effects by making another version of fire? like how people catch on fire and the fire sprite is attached to their sprite as they walk and take damage while its attached?(not sure if they actually take damage there) .. but poison could just be similar where some sort of icon appears next to them or a small green cloud could be attached to them and inflict a different amount of damage than fire but maybe stay attached to them longer?

couldn't you implement poison effects by making another version of fire?  like how people catch on fire and the fire sprite is attached to their sprite as they walk and take damage while its attached?(not sure if they actually take damage there) ..  but poison could just be similar where some sort of icon appears next to them or a small green cloud could be attached to them and inflict a different amount of damage than fire but maybe stay attached to them longer?

Possibly... but it would need coding. Which means work. :wink1:

Poison can be implemented when Fatal Wounds are. Poison would just deal light damage, but a heavy fatal wound.

good idea..

is there any idea when things like medi kits, mind probes and the other x-com weapons will be included in ufo2000?

No ETA yet...

Here's a list of UNUSED stuff that could be added, though;

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~xcom/x1x9.shtml

hate fatal wounds! hate em! poison on the other hand is ok since u have to actually aim to hit em, unlike fatal wounds wich are inflicted if a bullet comes within 3 miles of your soldier.

if there are going to be bow's & arrows, i think the arrow trajectory should be implemented. Like the grenades, the arrow could have a arc movement when shoot from a bow, cause a straight trajectory doesn't seem very realistic.

This shouldn't be hard to do. If I remember rightly (aka rarely) the Small Launcher uses arcing trajectories...

Oh, and Blood Angel, read this topic. Thanks. :wink1:

Edited by Exo2000

if there are going to be bow's & arrows, i think the arrow trajectory should be implemented. Like the grenades, the arrow could have a arc movement when shoot from a bow, cause a straight trajectory doesn't seem very realistic.

This will be fixed with launcher weapons. parabollic trajectory is already a project for stuff like the small launcher, grenade launcher... etc. I'll be giving a try at this as soon as I'm done with the custom firing animations. The max range of a launcher will be possible to adjust, resulting in a more incurved or straighter trajectory.

For the moment the small launcher fires straight, I'm pretty sure about this.

Edited by nachtwolf

This shouldn't be hard to do. If I remember rightly (aka rarely) the Small Launcher uses arcing trajectories...

Small launcher fire shot is linear. no arc.

Small launcher fire shot is linear. no arc.

Told you I rarely remember righly! :D

not only multiple types of arrows, but multiple types of bows also

short bow, long bow, crossbow, hand crossbow.. blowgun with darts..

anyways.. does anyone want to actually start working on implementing some of these types of weapons into ufo2000? heres some I made, someone else made a crossbow earlier, and I could make more stuff if if theres anything specific everyone wants.. http://www.geocities.com/swwc2tc/weap.gif

I've started creating a new weaponset called "Russian Arms". Currently only pInv images are done; also I'm not sure whether it's balanced enough (most likely - not). That's the reason I'm posting it here - could more experienced in creating weaponsets players help me with the balance?

weapons_rusarms.zip

Edited by The Dark One

To dark one:

I am currently working on a similar weaponset (russian and western firearms balanced). The idea was making something similar to counter strike: one side uses NATO weapons, the other side uses russian firearms. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but are balanced. It seems that you have the same problem as I do: dark firearms (grey, black, dark-blue) don't look very good on the black background in the armory.

yes, needs more depth. Use more grays and add highlights. Dont forget that thanks to the Devs, we have 32 bit png's now, no limit on pallete Edited by Sporb

i had a bit of a play with the guns in the pinv bmp. I like their look so i went and stuffed The python handgun into it.

hope you dont mind.

Keep practising your art work and you will get better :D

i used to suck

with practise i dont suck as much anymore

if you want some help with artsy stuff, plenny o people will help out. You need but ask.

PS praktise makes perfect

EDIT: is LXNT.INFO still down? i cant grab the new beta :'(

Edited by Sporb

hm... here you can see what happens to your weapons if you just and only turn up contrast a bit:

before:

shot.png

after:

shot_copy.png

i did not do any editing. just selected each weapon individually and adjustet the contrast settings for it... (by +50% to +80%)

That looks a lot better, IMO. :D

The new Bouncing Betty, with a twist. Arm it like a proximity mine, throw it out to an area you suspect there might be alien activity. They should be super expensive due to the twist. Instead of bouncing up and blowing up, they bounce up waist high, explode in a 360 degree radius with a volley of needle like appendages that are attached to small high voltage wires that stun the target or multiple targets.

These would work great for neutralizing those multiple contacts on the bridge of the aliens ships.

TU's

Arming 60%

Throwing 25%

Power = 140% stunning power

Accuracy = 100% on first alien closest to it and 10% less each tile away from it

We already have stun grenades, and this is stuff going into UFO2000, not X-COM. :wink1:

(The stun grenade is, generally, powerful enough to knock an unarmoured enemy out in one.)

Edited by Exo2000

• 1 month later...

Impact and streaming. Here is a list of description:

Coil Guns:

- A thin light blue beam for streaming.

- Impact would be similar to laser.

Mezon:

- Red and thick (sort of like the green Plasma) while streaming.

- Impact would be similar to green plasma.

Stun Gun:

- Small, long, light green green bullets while streaming.

- Impact would be similar to a conventional bullet, but have an big electrical shock impact animation.

Neutron Guns:

- Small yellow orb with electrical shock animation while streaming.

- The Impact would be an explosion so don't worry about impact for this atm.

Edited by Kratos